Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
darQ96

Re: U330 + Windows 7 Drivers Problem & Solutions

calhanian wrote:

Hi y'all

I'm sure this is all somewhere else but from reading the thread I'm hoping you can guide me.

I am about to take the plunge and install Win7 Professional 64bit - it seems many on here have and are still suffering with this process.

Any quick lessons would be appreciated so that this can go smoothly for me, ie update the bios first before starting, or install and then update the bios, etc. - maybe top five things to do so I don't get overly frustrated and throw my little U330 at the wall.  Also 32 bit vs 64, I only use photoshop, office, internet and a few other things on a regular basis.

Alternatively I would appreciate the, don't even think of upgrading and just leave the vista you have in place and get a new computer.   I am upgrading b/c I probably have a virus and need to wipe out the hard drive and I figure this is as good a time as any to do the upgrade.

Thank you in advance

hi

I'm ridding on w7 32 bit with no problems !!!

only thing I would recomand is to update bios with new beta version posted few pages back...

It shouldn't matter will it be before or after w7 instalation :smileywink:

personaly, I think w7 is way better than vista :smileywink:

oh jeah, 32 or 64 bits, I think 32 is better if you are using less than 4 gb of ram :smileywink:

Core Memory
MrCodeDude

[ Edited ]

I guess I should post my "progress." I installed the new beta BIOS and the new Power Management program. There was a new Intel Graphics driver through Windows Update, which I also installed. The result? Apparently switchable graphics half works now; unfortunately there is only a minimal performance difference/improvement.

Screenshot here: http://www.verityhw.com/uploader/files/1/switchable_graphics.PNG

If I select Switchable Graphics in the BIOS, it always uses the Intel GPU; even when coming back from sleep. Unfortunately, attempting to switch to the "High-Performance GPU" makes the screen go black and the only thing I can do from here is restart. I was planning on using the Intel card because I don't need the performance of the discrete graphics, but because the discharge rates appear to be roughly the same, it's almost easier to just default to the discrete graphics and not worry about it.

I don't know how anyone is getting a discharge rate of below 13k; idle I'm lucky to get under 15k and just loading up Paint to take a screenshot spikes it upwards of 18-19k. (This is all using the integrated Intel graphics.)

As I type this (on another computer), the U330 has been running idle at 13.5k for the past 10 minutes. At 70% battery life, it says I have 2:10 left of battery life. Assuming linear discharge (which isn't very realistic), this would mean that at 100% battery, I would have around 3:06 of total battery life.

Because my battery has lost approximately 25% of its capacity, this would assume a new U330, under this setup, would achieve 4 hours of battery life. This is all ideal and hypothetical and would require no use of the laptop; indicating that the 5 hour battery life claim was well embellished or, even worse, completely fabricated.

Administrator
Mark_Lenovo

DarQ,

I sent you the file, but was about a week late using your alternate Yahoo?  email.  Aparantly google email doesn't like some kinds of files and strips them.

Feng303,

Thanks for posting / making the drivers available for everyone else and sharing your status.

MrCodeDude,

I know you've been around on the battery issue since the beginning, and I'd rather not rehash to whole 5 hour discussion in this thread.  I would agree that it really took us too long to dig into the battery issue, explain how we came up with the 5 hour run time claim under VISTA (which predates this Win 7 discussion here) and how it was achieved.    As you and others noted, we changed the advertised values on our marketing site to reflect more real world use cases and we explained the test and run time results last June in my post here.

Looking back at those old values, it suggested just under 4 hours (like 3 hours 51 mins) with integrated graphics and some level of use, so if your battery has degraded 25% and you are now getting around 3 hours, that seems about right at this point.

Launching an application will draw more power as you know - you are ramping up CPU usage, and the HDD is more active.  I would expect this.   Once paint is loaded and idle, does the power draw drop back to 13k-14K?

What were your previous values under Windows 7?  Are the values that you are seeing with the new drivers and BIOS an improvement?   If so, how much in your case?

Thanks

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Punch Card
kevindd992002

@Mark_Lenovo

Any replies to my PM?

Blue Screen Again
Osasco

Guys, can someone help me?

I had an U330 with Vista and I received Windows 7 upgrade from Lenovo.

I had also bought a 500 Gb harddisk and intend to change my old 320 Gb for this one.

Does anybody know if it is possible to install Windows 7 directly in this new HD or should I need first install Vista on this new HD and then install Windows 7?

Thanks in advance!

Punch Card
kevindd992002

You got Win7 upgrade for free?

Blue Screen Again
Osasco

kevindd992002 wrote:

You got Win7 upgrade for free?

Yes, I got it for free.

Punch Card
kevindd992002

How does one get an upgrade for free?

Blue Screen Again
Osasco

kevindd992002 wrote:

How does one get an upgrade for free?

I bought U330 last year on october. Depending on date when you bought your notebook you would be eligible to receive a Windows 7 upgrade for free. That was my case. Please see Lenovo's  website to check if you are eligible.

Blue Screen Again
theelite

okay so any updates on the official releases? it's a month later with no love.