Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
802.11n
abvasili

What's your flavor?

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I would like to open this thread regarding customization and how we get the best out of our computers for everyday use.

What themes for windows 7 do you use? What programs? Wallpapers? Can we share with each other opinions and suggestions?

I can start with some of my favorite programs, the first programs I install after installing windows:

Antivirus: AVIRA, free. IMO the best free antivirus. Light and very efficient. I feel very protected with it! :smileyhappy:

Video player: VLC. Plays almost every video codec and uses very well the resources of my x120e. First thing I do after installing VLC I go to: Tools/Preferences, than Input and codecs, and tick use GPU acceleration. This enable the capabilities of my laptop to play smoothly 1080p videos.

Audio player: iTunes. A bit heavy, but very good in organizing and playing my collection.

Dj Mix software: Mixxx. Free software, and works beautifully with a lot of controllers and possibilities. Mix like a pro :smileyhappy:

Internet browser: Google chrome. Light and fast. I prefer it more than firefox because it is light on the cpu and the fan is never overloaded.

Dock bar: Rocket dock. Very happy with it. It is fast, light and beautiful. Very handy to fast open your software.

Windows Explorer replacement: Total Commander. A powerful utility, two side browser, and a lot of integrated utilities. 

Picture viewer: Picasa (from Google). Interesting way of managing photo albums. And attractive way of displaying photos.

Photo slides: Photo story. I fell in love with this software from windows since I installed for the first time windows XP. Now it works in windows 7 too. A very elegant way of preparing slideshows for fun or work.

This is only a small list, just to start. I intend update it little by little. If you would like, share something with us. We can make our experience with our TP more fascinating :smileyhappy:

Thanks to anyone

abvasili

Update 1:

Torrent: µTorrent (micro torrent). It's really tiny, but does the work beautifully. Anyone should have this.

Codecs: k-lite_codec_pack. To make sure your windows 7 will play every kind of audio or video files you can install .

Tag editor: Tag&rename. To manage all your audio files, rename albums, add cover art to your songs you can use this program. Very powerful software, with a lot of tools to easily edit audio tags of your collection.

Update 2:

Audio player (2): Media monkey. Fast and full featured. You can browse your computer in a tree view, and play your files.

Picture viewer and light editing: FastStone Image Viewer. Very very fast and light.

Video player (2): KMPlayer. Highly customizable, plays a lot of video and audio format as well. Light on resources.

Office Suite: LibreOffice. A MS office replacement. A very good one... and it's Libre :smileyhappy:

Update 3:

MP3 Tag editor (free): Mp3tag. Mp3tag is a powerful and yet easy-to-use tool to edit metadata of common audio formats where it supports ID3v1, ID3v2.3, ID3v2.4, iTunes MP4, WMA, Vorbis Comments and APE Tags.

I'm just a volunteer. I like to help others where I can. Do my ideas work? I hope so. o_O
Who helped you today? Do not forget to thank him.
My hardware: TP x120e 0596-2ru. Windows 7, sp1, 64Bit, English, installed in UEFI mode.
goretsky
Topics: 19
Kudos: 352
Solutions: 139

Re: What's your flavor?

Hello,

I like using Autohotkey for automation tasks on my ThinkPads. 

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee. • Dexter is a good dog • Dexter je dobrý pes
S230u (3347-4HU)X220 (4286-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)T61p (6459-CTO)T43p (2678-H7U)T42 (2378-R4U)T23 (2648-LU7)
de.gif  Deutsche Community es.gif  Comunidad en Español ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
buddinggeek
Topics: 105
Kudos: 140
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 118

Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials,Eset 

Video player: VLC

Audio player:  WMP player for windows and Banshee in Linux

Dj Mix software:  Aaudacity 

Internet browser: Google chrome 

Dock bar:  Cairo dock in Linux 

Windows Explorer replacement: None

Picture viewer: Picassa ,Fspot in Linux

Photo slides: None

Cheers and regards,
• » νιנαソѕαяα∂нι ѕαмανє∂αм ™ « •
Think : T410,X220T,Thinkpad Yoga
Idea :3000H,Z500,U410,Yoga 11, Yoga tab 10,Horizon
●๋•کáŕádhí'ک díáŕý ツ

I am a volunteer here. I don't work for Lenovo
Guru
PeterTWJ

For me

Antivirus: ESET / Symantec

Video / Audio Player: Windows Media Player 

Internet Browser: Google Chrome (Firefox for video downloading, flashgot as addon. IE for compatibility)

Torrent: utorrent (same as yours, abvasili) :smileyvery-happy:

Codec Pack: Combined Community Codec Pack

Cleanup Tool: CCleaner (free and solid)

Defrag: PerfectDisk (solid performer, does great job)

Others: Paragon Alignment Tools (for XP or older OS), Windows Vista auto-align partition for optimal performance

Happy 2012! :smileytongue::smileyhappy::smileyvery-happy:

Peter
W520 (4284-A99)

Does someone’s post help you? Give them kudos as a reward, as they will do better to improve | Mark it as solved if the solution works for you, so it could be reference for others in the future 

=====================================

Sound Enthusiast and Enhancement (Post comments, share mixes, etc.)

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/General-Discussion/Dolby-Home-Theater-v4-for-most-Lenovo-Laptops/td-p/62...

Serial Port
JWBlue

[ Edited ]

Video Player: DIVX > Best picture and sound on my system.

Both offline and in my browser.

http://www.divx.com/en

Blows away Adobe flash.

abvasili

Nice input JWBlue :smileyhappy:
I'm just a volunteer. I like to help others where I can. Do my ideas work? I hope so. o_O
My hardware: TP x120e 0596-2ru. Windows 7, sp1, 64Bit, English, installed in UEFI mode.
802.11n
abvasili

Update number two. See the first post.

Have a great day.

abvasili

802.11n
abvasili

Hi, Update three.

Now all the software names have their own link where you can read for more information and download.

Cheers!

abvasili