Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
Mac480
Accepted Solution

Windows 7 32 bit to 64 bit upgrade

Does anyone know the procedure to get a Windows 7 pro 32 bit upgraded to Windows 7 pro 64 bit?
802.11n
pleon

Re: Windows 7 32 bit to 64 bit upgrade

Well, how i did, i have ordered new recovery media from lenovo with 64bit system. So it creates completely new hidden partiotions and installed everything same like you buy original 64bit Lenovo Thinkpad. I think this is the best way.
----------------------------------------------------
Lenovo T430s, 2356LQG, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 UEFI, Intel 520 SSD 180 GB, 8 GB RAM
Lenovo T420s, 4171-6SG, Windows 8 Pro x64 UEFI, Intel 320 SSD 120 GB, 8 GB RAM
Lenovo T400s, 2808-CYG, Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Token Ring
Bonux

Fanfold Paper
Mac480

Thanks. I saw the post and paid $40 +tax Canadian.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
StanS

I saw that table, but  I went from Vista Ultimate 32  to Win 7 Ultimate 64   and now I want Win7U 64 media so that I can boot from a DVD (and upgrade my HD from a restore). 

Is this possible? (getting the media, I know the Win7 restore will put a saved copy onto the new HD)

Fanfold Paper
kylborn

Is it also possible to use the Rescue and Recovery for Windows 7 download to go from 32 bit to 64 bit? Has anyone tried this?

Ctrl-Alt-Del
StanS

kylborn wrote:

Is it also possible to use the Rescue and Recovery for Windows 7 download to go from 32 bit to 64 bit? Has anyone tried this?

I assume that you are saying that you want to back up your personal files with the Win7 32bit version and restore it back with the 64bit version, right? 

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/32-bit-and-64-bit-windows-frequently-asked-questions  however, it does NOT address someone who purchased a  special MS produced Win7 Home to Win7 Pro or better upgrade, which I understand has a UPGRADE option not available normally. That MIGHT migrate the same way Win7 was supposed to migrate from Vista 32 to Win7 64bit.  Lenovo however did not recommend it since the ThinkV. utilities are not compatible so they suggested custom install and then the thin client that downloads/installs the basic Think utilities.

As for 32bit Lenovo Rescue files being compatible with 64bit Lenovo Rescue files, that is a specific question someone might be able to answer. (But you're not going to restore program files from 32bit to a 64bit version, it doesn't work that way.) 

Fanfold Paper
kylborn

No, I wasn't trying to migrate any data. I jut purchased an X200 tablet from a third party vendor. It came with Win 7 Pro 32 bit installed on it. I wanted to install 4GB of RAM in it (it came with 2GB) but the 32 bit OS won't recognize more than about 3GB. Therefore I wanted to switch to the 64 bit OS on my brand new machine. I have no data to protect or back up on it yet so I was going to do a clean install with the 64 bit version of the same OS (Win 7 Pro). I wasn't sure if the Rescue and Recovery software that you can download from the website would give me the option to install the 64 bit OS. I believe you have the choice to install either version when you have a retail copy of Windows 7.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter any more because I ordered the 64 bit Recovery DVD's from Lenovo yesterday for about fifty bucks. It's kind of a shame to spend money on an OS I technically already have a license for but oh well.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
StanS

kylborn wrote: I wasn't sure if the Rescue and Recovery software that you can download from the website would give me the option to install the 64 bit OS. I believe you have the choice to install either version when you have a retail copy of Windows 7.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter any more because I ordered the 64 bit Recovery DVD's from Lenovo yesterday for about fifty bucks. It's kind of a shame to spend money on an OS I technically already have a license for but oh well.

Oh, sorry. You are correct that if you have the install CD that the key is good for either 32 or 64 bit versions.  However, Lenove doesn't give anyone real Win7 boot disks without money so don't feel bad.  They give Specialized Install Disks which bring up a Thinkvantage menu, asking what you want to do.  Their CD has all the versions of Win7 on it Pro, Ultimate and Home Premium in compressed files but I don't have it handy right now, to check if it has both 32 and 64 bit versions. . 

Fanfold Paper
kylborn

No problem. Thanks for your input. When I called them up I made sure to let them know I wanted the 64 bit OS. I'm not sure if it will have both 32 and 64 bit versions like retail Windows disks have but I will find out as soon as it comes in.

I think Lenovo's disks also come with all the drivers for my laptop, so that is nice, too.