topmahof
Topics: 35
Kudos: 368
Solutions: 238

Re: Windows 7 SP 1 Now Available

What's DOS?
chi123

Re: Windows 7 SP 1 Now Available

Does anyone know when lenovo is going to release the new Intel Graphics drivers for G560? the current driver is not compatible to install win 7 sp1
Fanfold Paper
wjsamx

Windows 7 service pack 1 not being shown in windows update

Anyone else notice these laptops aren't being shipped with SP1? It also doesn't show to be downloadable within windows update. It's not even there.

I found out that SP1 is hidden because of the graphics driver version. So I went to the intel drivers site and launched the intel driver update utility and saw a newer driver that wouldn't interfere with SP1. When I went to install it, the message said something to the effect that you can't because you have a specific driver provided by your pc manufacturer.

Look at method #4:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2498452

So, I went into the device manager, uninstalled the graphics driver, it then rolled back to a default driver, then I could install the Intel graphics driver and updated the chipset directly from the Intel website. After the reboot, I went to windows update and SP1 was being shown and available for download.

I've had no issues whatsoever using the Intel graphics driver (8.15.10.2509). In fact the gaming graphics number in windows experience increased.

Just thought I'd mention this in case anyone didn't notice. This may be the case for many other models too. I'm happier knowing SP1 is installed.

Forgot to mention I have an ideapad Z560.

Best Regards,

Jack

Punch Card
gudgeon

Re: Windows 7 service pack 1 not being shown in windows update

Hi Jack
That's really interesting - I wonder why that driver is not available on the Lenovo site? I tried much the same thing some while back on my G560 (see my earlier posts) but, although it downloaded after I'd upgraded the driver, SP1 failed to install during reboot. I guess I'll have to check which Intel driver I downloaded and try again.
Iain

Lenovo G560 - Windows 7 Home Premium x64
Punch Card
gudgeon

Had a quick look on the Intel site this morning and, as far as I can see, this driver won't work with the Intel processor on my G560 which is a P6100.
Iain

Punch Card
gudgeon

Just an update - after some months of not being able to install SP1, today I again tried moving the Intel graphics drivers out of C:, uninstalled the Intel graphics driver, rebooted, Windows Update downloaded a new driver, rebooted, went on MWindows Update againe and SP1 was available for download. Downloaded and installed with no problem - there was also a non-critical update of the Intel HD drivers available which, after downloading, took the driver version up to 8.15.10.2622.

Don't know why it didn't work before but am now a happy bunny!

Iain

Ctrl-Alt-Del
SipoKapumba

Hello Iain,

Can you send me detailed instructions on what to do? I am a lay person. I am not a technical guy. I am using an x86 Lenovo G560. I would really love to have SP1.

Regards,

SK

Punch Card
gudgeon

Hi SK

OK, I was mainly following some advice in some earlier posts but if I remember correctly, this is what I did.

First, make a System Restore Point in case anything goes wrong (click the Windows Start button and type ‘create a restore point’ – in the dialogue box that appears, click the Create button at the bottom right and name your restore point something like ‘Change Video Driver’.

When Windows has created the restore point, navigate to C: drive and delete the folder labelled Intel (if you want to be extra safe, you could move the folder onto a USB stick).

You then need to uninstall the Intel video drivers by going into Device Manager (again, enter device manager at the Start Menu if you're unsure how to open it). Left-click on the 4th item down, Display Adapters, and you will see an item Intel (R) HD Graphics. Right-click on this and you will see a menu, the third item being Uninstall. Click this.

Reboot the computer. It will fire up with a basic driver at this stage which may look pretty horrible, but Windows Update will then search for and install a new driver which will be SP1 compatible.

Reboot the computer. Run Windows Update and it should find and install SP1.

It worked for me - good luck!!!

Iain

Ctrl-Alt-Del
SipoKapumba

Hello Iain,

Can this procedure work with Windows 7 Home Basic? Or are Service Packs not available to Home Basic? I want to try these steps.

SK

Punch Card
gudgeon

SP1 is available for Home Basic so the steps should work - just check that the reason you can't update is the Intel driver version - navigate to the driver details in the steps in my last post and check that your current version is in the range 'Igd kmd64.sys ver 8.15.10.2104 thru 8.15.10.2141' - if it is, that's probably the reason you can't download SP1 and the steps I outlined should work.

As always, before any major change, make sure your data is backed up and you create a restore point.
Iain