Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
albatrossNY

Re: Windows 7 Upgrade fulfillment discussion

I think that there is much confusion regarding the terms of Microsoft's volume license agreements.

Most of the Lenovo apologists on this board have the tendency to blame the evil "MS license agreement" as a way to create cover for Lenovo's poor execution of this program.

As has been pointed out, other OEMs have figured out how to do this correctly, so the theory that MS is to blame should be put to rest.

Lenovo has been sacrificing their reputation through this program.

This is a true shame.  To all the Lenovo employees and engineers who post on here (like erik, Mark, etc), you are the good guys.  Someone (likely a clueless bean counter) in your operations department made a very poor decision that is diluting all your hard work.  I suspect that when you have the chance to make a point, you will do so as diplomatically as possible.  Your silence here is understandable, for career reasons.

schmidtj wrote:

RobotDoctor wrote:

....  I do not fault Mentor Media as they are directed by Microsoft in how this free upgrade procedes.  ...

Somehow Dell was directed by Microsoft to distribute the "Free" Windows 7 upgrade totally Free. Free as in zero, zip, nada dollars, Why can't Lenovo do the same?

rcw
Blue Screen Again
rcw

albatrossNY wrote:

Most of the Lenovo apologists on this board have the tendency to blame the evil "MS license agreement" as a way to create cover for Lenovo's poor execution of this program.

I totally agree this mess is 100% Lenovo's baby. 

It's Lenovo who has failed and continues to fail to live up to their obligations to provide reasonable support for their customers.

I am not so naive as to think that a program like this is easy to carry out.   Certainly there are bound to be glitches.

But that's not what we're seeing here.   This goes way beyond a few inconveniened customers.   I dare say that even those who have gotten their upgrades still have a negative feeling about the process.

Where are the email apologies? Where are the respones to our comments, emails and phone calls?   Where are the LENOVO sites and/or LENOVO phone numbers where we get up-to-accurate information? 

The only explanation that I can come up with is that LENOVO DOES NOT CARE!   We've bought their gear, they've got our money and they're happy.  End of story.

Too bad too.  My laptop is a decent machine but I've learned my lesson.   Never again.

Punch Card
RobotDoctor

albatrossNY wrote:

This is a true shame.  To all the Lenovo employees and engineers who post on here (like erik, Mark, etc), you are the good guys.  Someone (likely a clueless bean counter) in your operations department made a very poor decision that is diluting all your hard work.  I suspect that when you have the chance to make a point, you will do so as diplomatically as possible.  Your silence here is understandable, for career reasons.

I am not trying to apologize for MS or anyone.  I agree that the Win7 upgrade issue has been handled poorly.  I can also understand the frustration felt by many.  That said, it is what it is.  Some people will chose never to buy Lenovo again while others will.  For me, I am more concerned whether my computer is reliable and can withstand the rigors or field service while offering me the mobile work station I require to do my job.  If my computer can rise up to this task then I will most certainly buy Lenovo again.  An unreliable computer costs me, and my company, much more than purchasing a full retail copy of Windows 7 Pro.

On the flip side, I conduct my business with ethics and integrity.  I deliver what I say I am going to do, never any less.  On that side of the coin, I can understand the frustration frustration felt by stargate  and others.  I did not mean to start a Holy War or be labled as a MS apologist, to which I am neither.  I suppose I accepted the fact that I would not be receiving an upgrade because I purchased a computer from the outlet center, even though I was told 3 times that I would receive a "free" upgrade.  Receiving my upgrade was a bonus, a bonus that I hope everyone experiences very soon.

Punch Card
albatrossNY

RobotDoctor:

My apologies for misconstruing your statements.  I see from your statement here that your position is very reasonable.

I thinkk we both agree that while Lenovo has fallen down, their products continue to out-rank the competition in many ways.

The fear now is that they will slide into mediocrity.

RobotDoctor wrote:

albatrossNY wrote:

I am not trying to apologize for MS or anyone.  I agree that the Win7 upgrade issue has been handled poorly.  I can also understand the frustration felt by many.  That said, it is what it is.  Some people will chose never to buy Lenovo again while others will.  For me, I am more concerned whether my computer is reliable and can withstand the rigors or field service while offering me the mobile work station I require to do my job.  If my computer can rise up to this task then I will most certainly buy Lenovo again.  An unreliable computer costs me, and my company, much more than purchasing a full retail copy of Windows 7 Pro.

On the flip side, I conduct my business with ethics and integrity.  I deliver what I say I am going to do, never any less.  On that side of the coin, I can understand the frustration frustration felt by stargate  and others.  I did not mean to start a Holy War or be labled as a MS apologist, to which I am neither.  I suppose I accepted the fact that I would not be receiving an upgrade because I purchased a computer from the outlet center, even though I was told 3 times that I would receive a "free" upgrade.  Receiving my upgrade was a bonus, a bonus that I hope everyone experiences very soon.

Paper Tape
imsoblue

[ Edited ]

These discussions are very disappointing reading. Surely the whole point of the upgrade program was to prevent potential buyers from delaying their purchases by assuring them that they would not lose out by buying machines with an unpopular, and soon to be superseded, operating system? As such my expectation was certainly that after the upgrade I would have the same machine that I would have had if I had waited a while to make the purchase.

Note from Moderator:  Inflammatory comments removed from public view.

Fanfold Paper
wywlqq

[ Edited ]

hi, I got charged on the 11/22/2009, but never receive anything. Please help!!! Thank you.

Order# LENOVOxxxxxxxxx

Note from Moderator:  Order number masked from public view.

Punch Card
Arla

wywlqq wrote:

hi, I got charged on the 11/22/2009, but never receive anything. Please help!!! Thank you.

Order# LENOVOxxxxxxxxx

Yes, MM's SOP (standard operating procedure) seems to be charge the customer, wait a month, then, maybe, think about shipping the product.

I'm seriously considering telling Discover Card that the goods weren't delivered, and I dispute the charge, the only problem being that I may end up having to live with Windows Vista.

Seriously, someone needs a fire lit under them, this is horrific customer service.

Punch Card
kkdeep

When this kind of screw up happens by any company, one tends to think that may be this is not a one off incident. May be this is the way they operate all the time. I don't have any experience with Lenovo customer care but i am hoping i never have to find out how good (bad) they are. Unfortunately i am stuck with this laptop from  Lenovo. but not again. not again.

Serial Port
Szymon_Zy

I tried yesterday upgrade my sl500 bought on october 20 with vista business to win 7, and my serial was rejected. That is really annnoying becouse before i bought this machine i asked all sellers in my city if 2746edg is able to upgrade. All of them checked on upgrade website in faq and said of course it will becouse it is vista business and bought in proper time period. Of course did resaerch on lenovo sites on my own, and confirmed that! Now my serial is rejected and i'm waiting until Lenovo Poland tell me what the hell is going on!

A week before i upgraded HP DV7 (DHL shippment from Germany was extreamly express) without any flaws - whole procedure took less then two weeks, i wonder why i can't do it so easily with namely better stuf like lenovo. If i compare customer care from HP (laptops), IBM (other hardware) and Acer (laptops) with Lenovo (laptops) i must say that lenovo have to learn a lot more. Starting with pointing me to Lenovo customer care in system preferences not to IBM customer care :smileyvery-happy: Some one who created factory sysprep disc collection forgot about so simple thing like changing the service phone numbers in brand new pc's.

Paper Tape
Griego1

[ Edited ]

Mark_Lenovo:

I think I speak for most of the people on this forum when I say "Enough Is Enough!!!"

I got billed on November 22, but my status has not changed.  Therefore, I consider your statement that Lenovo has worked with Mentor Media to clean up this practice of billing long before shipping to be wrong!

I sent an inquiry on November 23 regarding when my order will be shipped since I was billed and have not received a response.  Therefore, I will also consider your statement of a 3-day turnaround wrong!

I bought an IdeaPad in August, promptly applied for the "Free" (yeah right) upgrade, and waited patiently for weeks.

It is not acceptable that October 22 pushes out to November 16, then pushes out again to December, then pushes out again to God knows when!

I would greatly appreciate it if you could provide a definitive date for when all orders submitted thus far will be shipped.  I think you and Lenovo owe us all at least that much for supporting your product in the first place!

Note from Moderator:  Comments containing personal attack on forum admin modified.