Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
lemoog
Accepted Solution

Windows 7 product key sticker damaged through normal use

[ Edited ]

I have a G550 and the product key on the underside of the laptop has been worn away.

I created the recovery DVDs however the last disk in the series has been damaged, I have a retail version of W7 however this requires a valid product ID, which I dont have.

I had to blank the drive and this has removed the recovery partition and so I haev the choice of buy recovery media from Lenovo or buying a new key and media from M$.

I have noticed that there are already posts on the internet where people with the same laptop have had exactly the same problem with the product ID sticker being damaged through normal use.

I think that lenovo could do a little more to address this issue as even laminating the sticker would have been enough to save me all the hassle this had caused

goretsky
Topics: 18
Kudos: 347
Solutions: 130

Re: Windows 7 product key sticker damaged through normal use

Hello,

I think you may need to contact Lenovo technical support directly to ask about recovery media.

On recent ThinkPads (and possibly other Lenovo models), the Product ID Key sticker has been moved from the bottom of the unit to behind the battery.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee. • Dexter is a good dog • Dexter je dobrý pes
S230u (3347-4HU)X220 (4286-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)X120e (0596-CTO)T61p (6459-CTO)T43p (2678-H7U)T42 (2378-R4U)T23 (2648-LU7)
de.gif  Deutsche Community es.gif  Comunidad en Español
Paper Tape
parsi

[ Edited ]

I am having little doubt, so if I am having that product key available and If I try to install windows 7 (retail version) then will It work ?

My HDD got chashed and I also didn't take backup of the rescue system drive, so Idon't have any other option left with me except purchasing new windows 7 DVD.

Please reply.

Regards,

Paresh

topmahof
Topics: 35
Kudos: 342
Solutions: 229

http://www.desktopreview.com/default.asp?newsID=1586&News=Download+Microsoft+Windows+7+Free

As long as you have your product key, you can download the same version of Windows 7 that you have and use your key.

Dave

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
If someone helped you today, pay it forward. Help Someone Else!
802.11n
abvasili

I can confirm that the key on the stick will work... But probably you will need to activate windows by telephone.

Suggestion???

After, activating your copy off windows, use ABR (Google a bit) and save the activation files to a safe place. You can always use ABR to restore your activation after each installation, since it is hardware specific :smileyhappy:.

It's always a good idea to to have a backup of the license even if your computer is working OK, UNTIL NOW :smileyhappy:

abvasili

I'm just a volunteer. I like to help others where I can. Do my ideas work? I hope so. o_O
Who helped you today? Do not forget to thank him.
My hardware: TP x120e 0596-2ru. Windows 7, sp1, 64Bit, English, installed in UEFI mode.
What's DOS?
DeeDublyu

I had exactly the same problem so contacted Microsoft and was met by a very kind, helpful individual named Max. His reply was this: " Max: For pre-installed copies of Windows, the computer manufactures provide the product key. What I can recommend is to contact them for assistance. You may reach them at (866) 96-THINK (968-4465). I also had contacted the Microsoft community and their very helpful response was:

"Reply

When the key is on the computer case then Windows was preinstalled, and the OEM computer manufacturer is responsible for replacing your product key (not Microsoft).

How To Obtain A Replacement Product Key
Windows Preinstalled:
If you have a lost or unreadable product key for Microsoft software that came with your computer, please contact the manufacturer of your computer to obtain a replacement. Contact information for the manufacturer of your computer can be found here:
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/oemphone/ '

So, I called Lenovo support using the phone number that Microsoft had given me: I was met with the most Obnoxious, arrogant individual at Lenovo who actually LAUGHEDat me when  had said I needed a new Product Key. I COULDN'T BELIEVE IT! I have never met a RUDER person involved in customer support. I said I would like a new Product Key and he laughed at me and said "There is just NO way. We will not just hand over a product key, that is Microsoft's responsibility." so, I see I'm now getting the old run around as well as having to deal with rude obnoxious creeps.

APPLE is starting to look so much better. At least this is the last IBM product I'll ever buy. 

DW

goretsky
Topics: 18
Kudos: 347
Solutions: 130

Hello,

You can always run a program like third-party program like Belarc Advisor, Magic Jelly Bean Keyfinder or Nirsoft Produkey to view the Windows Product ID Key under Windows.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee. • Dexter is a good dog • Dexter je dobrý pes
S230u (3347-4HU)X220 (4286-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)X120e (0596-CTO)T61p (6459-CTO)T43p (2678-H7U)T42 (2378-R4U)T23 (2648-LU7)
de.gif  Deutsche Community es.gif  Comunidad en Español