Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
paradox183

Re: Windows 7 upgrade: Lenovo please read!

padler wrote:

The Win 7 DVD from Lenovo will let you do a clean install.  I just did one, formatting the C partition as part of the process.  The Lenovo Win 7 DVD must be customized, because it deletes the Q partition (factory Vista image) and replaces the S partition (system boot) with a "D:\Lenovo" partition that does the same thing (lets you press the ThinkVantage button while booting).

Did you delete the Q and S partitions during the custom install, or did you only reformat the C drive?  If the former, that would suck, since I want to reclaim the space taken up by the S drive and do not care if Rescue and Recovery works.

R51 1836-Q7U
T500 2081-CTO
Punch Card
paradox183

Daventry wrote:

P.S. markgrif wrote the following (see above for actual post): "WARNING!!! - if you delete the "service partition" Rescue and Recovery will probably not install at all. If it does it will be severely crippled.  A 'clean' install can be done without deleting any partitions. Just install to your old "C" drive."

This is rubbish, right?  It's surprising how much false information is posted on these forums, some even by the moderators themselves!

I don't think it's complete rubbish.  Rescue and Recovery (as launched with the ThinkVantage button during POST) relies on the S partition to function.  If you delete the S partiiton then it probably won't do much.

I do not know, however, whether the TVT R&R Windows application will install/function or not.

R51 1836-Q7U
T500 2081-CTO
Punch Card
Daventry

[ Edited ]

According to Padler, it is safe to do a completely clean install (i.e. delete ALL partitions), because the installer will create NEW partitions equivalent to the old S: and Q:. 

markgrif is right in saying that the S: partition is needed for Rescue and Recovery (this is a given).  But if what Padler says is true, markgrif's incorrect to imply that installing to the C: drive without deleting the partitions is the only way to achieve a fully functional machine.  (I.e. The statement "A 'clean' install can be done without deleting any partitions. Just install to your old "C" drive" isn't necessary the best advice.)

Ctrl-Alt-Del
padler

[ Edited ]

Daventry wrote:

Padler:

Thank you for your extremely informative post!  You've been able to answer several questions that many of us have been speculating on for quite some time.  I just wanted to clear up a few things one last time:

1) The Lenovo Windows 7 Upgrade includes either the 32-bit OS OR the 64-bit OS, not both.
2) The Lenovo Windows 7 Upgrade DOES allow for a clean install via system bootup.
3) Windows 7 activation is completed AFTER the installation.  Activation is NOT a problem even with Vista wiped out during the clean install.
4) A clean installation will automatically delete the preloaded Q:Lenovo and S:smileyfrustrated:erviceV003 partitions and replace them with a single D:Lenovo partition.

Padler, do these statements seem accurate? 

Yes.  I activated the day after I installed.

Lastly, a few lingering questions (sorry if any of these are redundant):

1) Does the newly created D:Lenovo partition completely replace the Q: and S: partitions from a functional standpoint?  If I had to reload Windows 7 later for some reason, would I be able to press the ThinkVantage button and reload Windows 7 by itself (without any DVD in the drive), or would I have to use my self-created Vista recovery DVDs to load Vista first (i.e. get my computer back to its original factory state), and then upgrade to Windows 7 using the upgrade DVD (i.e. as we're doing now)?

I don't think you can reload Win 7 from the ThinkVantage button.  I don't know if you have to restore Vista to restore Win 7.  That is, I don't know if the DVD is an "upgrade" that checks for the presence of a qualifying OS (i.e., Vista) or if it is a "full" DVD that doesn't require the previous OS. 

I haven't been able to find on the MS site what the requirements for  "upgrade" vs. "complete" are.  Only Vista is permitted a "direct" upgrade rather than a clean install, but it's not clear if that means that XP owners who are buying Win 7 retail have to buy a "complete" version of Win 7 rather than an "upgrade" version.  If the former, then the Lenovo DVD is almost certainly a complete version and shouldn't be looking for a prior OS when it installs.

2) What exactly does the companion DVD include?  Does it at least have the Thinkvantage System Update app?

I assume that the Companion DVD includes ThinkVantage System Update app, because I used it after I installed to get about 15 necessary drivers and other s/w packages (most importantly, the switched video driver).

The Companion DVD includes two top level directories: SAS Driver (2.22 MB) and ThinInstaller (199 MB).  

SAS Driver  includes subfolders for Linux,  XP 32&64 bit, Vista 32&64 bit, and Win 7 32&64 bit.  According to the readme file, these are:

There are two driver packages for the 6320, 6340, 6440, 6445, 6480, and 6485 SAS controllers.
(1) Miniport Driver: basic Windows driver for the SAS controller
(2) Optional Marvell Removable Disk Driver (MRDD): provides Hot Plug Port functionality

ThinInstaller:

ThinkVantage Thin Installer
for Microsoft Windows XP, Windows 2000 and Windows Vista
Version 1.0.0021
Installation Readme

Thin Installer is a smaller version of System Update.
Thin Installer searches for the update packages from a repository
that you create. The repository can be created on your local
hard drive, a network share or external media such as a CD, DVD,
or USB hard drive.

When Thin Installer finishes installing applicable packages,
no registry keys relating to Thin Installer exist - thus the user
only needs to delete the folder containing Thin Installer to remove
all files associated with Thin Installer and the associated repository.

3) There have been reports of certain Thinkpad drivers/devices not working with the Win7 upgrade.  Have you run into any such problems, or was it easy to get everything in order using the aforementioned Thinkvantage System Update?

I didn't have any problems other than the two "serial" devices that I mentioned in this thread. This is probably because I declined to install the Intel AMT drivers (which I'm going to do later).

Thanks for your time!

Daventry

In regards to the D: partition, are you sure you are looking at all the files?  I am still running Vista right now, and when I initially explored Q: I only saw the two folders you mentioned (Showroom and SWTools).  But then I went to Tools>Folder Options>View and unchecked "Hide Protected Operating System Files" to see the following:

$Recycle.bin

FactoryRecovery (I believe the OS copy is located here)

showroom

SWTools

System Volume Information

Autorun.inf

LenovoQDrive.exe

qdrive.ico

Do you see these files in your D: partition?  If you do, I'm guessing the Win7 OS is there, which is awesome. 

You're correct that there were hidden files. Perhaps Win 7 is in there.  Here's what is in D:

$RECYCLE.BIN (empty folder)

Factory Recovery (7.66 GB) includes cdrivebackup.wim and sdrivebackup.wim (plus a few config files)

showroom

SWTOOLS

System Volume Information (empty folder)

LenovoQDrive.exe

qdrive.ico

I had installed a few apps (mostly Microsoft Office) before I did the upgrade. I don't know if cdrivebackup.wim is  the original factory image or if it is an image of the C drive as it existed before the upgrade or if it is an image of the current C drive (i.e., Win 7).  If I had to guess, I'd say it was one of the first two choices (not Win 7).

Just for further reference, my Q: partition is using 6.91 GB space out of 9.76 GB total.  What about your D:?

7.95 GB out of 9.76 GB

paradox183 wrote:

Did you delete the Q and S partitions during the custom install, or did you only reformat the C drive?  If the former, that would suck, since I want to reclaim the space taken up by the S drive and do not care if Rescue and Recovery works.

I only formatted the C drive.  I had originally intended to delete the Q partition as well and expand the C partition, but when I got to the screen in the Win 7 install screen where it shows the existing partitions, I saw that the Q partition was relatively small compared to the size of the hard disk, and decided to leave it alone. My thought was that if I decided later that I needed the space, I could always delete the Q partition and expand C, using a third-party disk manager if necessary.  S, by the way, was even smaller.

I don't know what would happen if you deleted the Q and S partitions.  Perhaps in that case, there would be no D partition created.  I suspect that this would be the case, judging from the following directions that came with the DVD for use in upgrading to Win 7 from XP:

Select Drive options (advanced) and then select the Disk 0 Partition 2: SERVICEV001

Click Delete to delete this partition. Then click OK to confirm.

Select Disk 0 Partition 1: Preload and click Extend, and then click Apply. This step reclaims the disk space from the service partition to ensure that you have the maiximum disk space available. Click OK to confirm

Click Format to format the hard disk drive. Click OK to confirm.

Click Next to begin the installation of the Windows 7 operating system ...

Punch Card
Daventry

Padler, I'm a bit confused, as I thought you did delete the original Q: and S: partitions?

Ctrl-Alt-Del
padler

[ Edited ]

Daventry wrote:

Padler, I'm a bit confused, as I thought you did delete the original Q: and S: partitions?

I didn't delete those partitions manually.  At the beginning of a custom install, you get the "Where do you want to install Windows" screen, which shows the existing partitions.  At this point, you have the options of deleting any or all of the existing partitions, extending one partition into adjacent unused space, and/or formatting partitions. 

What I did was to select the C partition, format it, and told the installer to put Windows in the newly-formatted C partition.  I left the Q and S partitions alone. To my surprise, the Q and S partitions did get deleted during the install process, which is why, somewhere above, I wrote that I believed that the DVD was at least somewhat customized by Lenovo and that the Q partition was replaced by a D partition and the S partition was replaced by a hidden partition named SERVICEV003.  For all I know, D and SERVICEV003 are Q and S, just renamed.  I don't recall the size and didn't look at the contents of Q and S prior to the install.

Once you get the DVDs from Lenovo, it's easier to do the install than explain what happens.

For completeness, on my Win 7 installation, Disk Management shows the following information:

1. SERVICEV003:  Healthy (System, Active, Primary Partition) 1.46 GB of which 693 MB is free.
  2. (C):  Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition) 286.86 GB of which 254.66 GB is free.
  3. Lenovo (D):  Healthy (Primary Partition) 9.77 GB of which 1.81 GB is free.

Now mind you, this adds up to 298.09 GB, while Lenovo advertised it as a "320 GB" drive.  That's the difference between a marketing gigabyte (1,000,000,000) and a computer gigabyte (1024^^3 = 1,073,741,824)

Punch Card
paradox183

[ Edited ]

padler wrote:

For all I know, D and SERVICEV003 are Q and S, just renamed.

I think that is the case.  With the XP/Vista preload Lenovo can customize these drive letters.  When you did a clean install of Win7 it just reassigned the drive letters to whatever it chose.  The sizes of the partitions that you posted sound about right.

And by the way, I think if you use the ThinkVantage button to launch Rescue & Recovery, with your old Q and S partitions intact, it will overwrite your Windows 7 install with Vista.  I think.

In any event, this is good news for me because I only want one partiiton once I install Windows 7.

R51 1836-Q7U
T500 2081-CTO
Punch Card
milliken

Yes, first time posting. 

I got so frustrated with upgrading to Windows 7 from Vista Business on X200 tablet notebook.

1.  I tried to clean/install Vista (1 hour) then I upgraded to Windows 7 (6 hours).  All seemed working fine.  So, before I install any new applications, I made a set of 8 R&R CDs.  Today, I tried to test if the set of restore-discs are any good.  After an hour, I got the Windows back up BUT it was a Vista Business screen!! What happened to my Windows7??  It is so disappointing.  I tried my best to read Lenovo sites and just running in circles.  Why can't they make a set of write up to make it clear for us??  We paid a lot of money to buy their machines but are not being treated properly.

2.  With a Vista on the notebook, I then tried to install Windows 7 directly (using custom install option) bypassing the Vista guy,  Yes, in an hour it was done.  Something is not right, there are only the Recycle bin icon and nothing else.  The controls on the bottom of the screen (available on the bottom edge for tablet screens) are not working.  Going to the Programs list, all Lenovo-related choices are missing.  It smells like a so-called clean installed Windows7 using upgrade discs doesn't work 100% as compared to an upgrade Windows 7.

3.  Now, I am reinstalling Vista and going through the nightmare of upgrading to Windows7 again.  But what good is it going to do if I can make my rescue & restore discs??

Now, when I looked at the supposedly great blue "ThinkVantage" button, it is not doing a thing.  Can somebody tell me what did I do wrong?

I used to fixed IBM main frame computers and work with electronics for years and I just can't get it working right for days.  If there is a Lenovo expert here, please say something to help.  I am sure I am not the only one wasting productive time.