Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
Daventry

Windows 7 upgrade: discs will include the option for a 32 to 64-bit upgrade via a clean install?

[ Edited ]

I would like to know whether the Lenovo Windows 7 upgrade discs will include the option for a 32 to 64-bit upgrade via a clean install?  I called Mentor today and was told the answer is no, but I was hoping someone here could tell me differently.

If "no" is truly the answer, I would like to voice my complaint: The upgrade discs from Microsoft (i.e. the retail upgrade discs) include both the 32 and 64-bit versions, so I don't completely understand why Lenovo's upgrade program doesn't offer the same thing.  I purchased my T500 in August, and back then Vista Ultimate 64 was not offered, so I chose Vista Ultimate 32 thinking that I could later upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate 64.  This assumption was based off of the info. on Microsoft's website indicating that all upgrades would contain the 32 and 64-bit versions.  I even customized my computer with 4 gigs of RAM thinking that I could take advantage of the extra gig once I installed Windows 7 64. 

I don't understand what Lenovo or Mentor Media have to gain by restricting a 32 to 64-bit install.  I voiced this opinion to Mentor Media over the phone, who responded by saying that I should be happy since I am receiving a "free" upgrade.  I don't think this is an accurate assessment for two reasons: (1) I had to pay $17.03 for shipping, and I still haven't received the upgrade and (2) The total cost of my computer was almost $3,000, and the purchase was made a mere few weeks before Windows 7 was released.  $3,000 is a lot of money.  I waited for the details of the Windows 7 Upgrade Program to be announced BEFORE purchasing my machine.  When I finally bought my computer I accounted Windows 7 into the price I was paying.  In addition, when I bought this computer I did so expecting good customer service as a given.  Not providing a 64-bit upgrade without a rational explanation as to why does not qualify as appropriate customer service.

As most of you know, 4 gigs of RAM is useless with a 32-bit OS.  Also, NOW Lenovo is building new T500s with the option of having Windows 7 Ultimate 64 (why wasn't Vista Ultimate 64 offered when I bought my computer???).  And the price for choosing Windows 7 Ultimate 32 is EQUAL to the price for choosing Windows 7 Ultimate 64, which proves that there is no cost difference.  I just want to know what Lenovo has to gain by denying customers a 64-bit upgrade?  There would really be no additional cost since as I mentioned before, Microsoft's retail upgrade includes the 32 and 64-bit OS on one disc.  If anything I would think that it's costing Lenovo money to strip the 64-bit install from the upgrade discs.

Can anyone please address my problems?  Do you think there is anyone at Lenovo I could contact to voice my opinions?  I have been a loyal Thinkpad customer for over 5 years now, and I expect better from Lenovo.  Thank you for reading!

moderator note: core question add to title, as stated in the forum rules and it will help others too answer your questions.

Blue Screen Again
Mack909

Re: Windows 7 upgrade: Lenovo please read!

Not a Lenovo employee but you're getting oem disc (only has version you requested) whereas retail full version contains both 32bit and 64bit.

Punch Card
Daventry

Is there any way to request a 64-bit OEM?  Why should Lenovo care whether I want a 32-bit or 64-bit as long as it's the same edition (Ultimate edition)?

Blue Screen Again
Mack909

Not 100 percent sure but if you've already requested your upgrade I doubt it and I think you can only request what you have. You can buy oem versions from online retailers for about  $175 or buy the full version for $292. If any concellation we're all hurting a little over Windows 7 upgrades!

Punch Card
Daventry

[ Edited ]

I understand that I can purchase my own retail copy of Windows 7, but I do not want to spend $200+ when I know Lenovo could easily send me a 64-bit Windows at virtually no cost to them.  As I mentioned before, I just spent $3,000 on a T500 with Vista Ultimate 32 because Vista Ultimate 64 was not an option, and now (weeks later) Lenovo is customizing machines with Windows 7 Ultimate 64.  Why must I be stuck with a 32-bit OS then?  My CPU and RAM are both optimized for a 64-bit platform.

I would appreciate it if someone from Lenovo could address my questions.  At the very least, please provide a contact person that I can get in touch with.

community supermod
erik

Daventry wrote:

Is there any way to request a 64-bit OEM?  Why should Lenovo care whether I want a 32-bit or 64-bit as long as it's the same edition (Ultimate edition)?

if your system shipped with a 32-bit version of vista then you will be sent 32-bit windows 7 upgrade media.   the reason for this is two-fold.

first, because this is upgrade media, it's impossible to install a 64-bit version of windows over a 32-bit version.   doing so would require a clean installation and upgrade media simply won't allow this.   this is the case with retail media, too.   if you had 32-bit vista installed and wanted to upgrade it to 64-bit using retail media, you'd have to wipe your system or set up a dual-boot.

second, the COA (certificate of authenticity) on the bottom of your system is for vista.   because of this, your new license is of an upgrade from vista to 7.   this is how microsoft licenses it and it is their policy, not lenovo's.   microsoft's policy with OEMs is that you must install vista first, then upgrade to 7 (unless, of course, you purchased your system native with 7 on or after the 22nd).   since your original lenovo preload is of a 32-bit OS, the issue becomes circular and you'll have to refer again to the first reason.

i understand your frustration and wish this stuff were made easier for everyone.   it's repetative reading post after post of people with 4GB installed who don't understand the limitations of a 32-bit environment.   i wish both manufacturers and users switched to 64-bit OSes sooner.   the same thing happened when the industry went from 16-bit windows 3.11 to 32-bit windows NT4/95 and limitations went from 16KB all the way up to 4GB (which, in 1995, no one thought we'd ever exceed).   the difference is that people were complaining on BBSes over 14.4k modems instead of on GUI-based forums using broadband connections.   times sure have changed. :smileywink:

ThinkStation C20Microsoft MVP
ThinkPad X1C · X220 · X60T · s30

billbolton
Topics: 68
Kudos: 167
Solutions: 103

Daventry wrote:

Why should Lenovo care whether I want a 32-bit or 64-bit as long as it's the same edition (Ultimate edition)?

Microsoft own the Intellectual Proerty involved and they are the ones who care about what happens to it.

A WIndows OEM licence is for either a x86 or a x64 install, not for both, and Microsoft insists that the upgrade is for an equivalent version to the Vista key on the laptop's CoA.

Cheers,

Bill

------------------------------
I don't work for Lenovo
Punch Card
Daventry

The Lenovo upgrade disc won't allow for a clean install?  This is news to me.  I thought we could opt for a clean install?  There's no way to wipe everything off the hard disk and install Windows 7 from scratch?

Punch Card
ChrisW6ATV

The upgrade disc will likely allow for a "custom" install. That is nearly a clean install, as it will put your entire old Windows installation into a new folder called "windows.old" and will create all-new folders for its own, entirely new, installation. It just won't be truly a "clean" install because you likely cannot reformat the disc/partition where you install Windows 7.
Paper Tape
NickDrake

The upgrade disc won't allow for a clean install????

So you're telling me that I'll have to install Vista AGAIN if I want to install Windows 7 to the new internal hard drive I just bought for my t400?