Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
szysz7

Windows Vista 32bit to Windows 7 64bit

[ Edited ]

Hi, I bought my laptop (y530 with windows vista home premium 32bit) in august this year and I can buy the so-called "free" upgrade to windows 7. I would like to upgrade my laptop to windows 7 but the 64 bit edition. I know I can't do the upgrade itself, but what about clean install? Can I format my hd and do a clean install from the upgrade kit to win 7 64 bit? Does the upgrade act like a regular full version of windows or it needs some files from vista? I don't care about the files on my drive, I can make a backup. I just want to know if it is possible and most of all if it is LEGAL. And can I actually buy the win 7 64 bit upgrade even if I do have a 32 bit vista?

thx for answers

Community Moderator
yigit

Re: Windows Vista 32bit to Windows 7 64bit

you can find upgrading articles from microsoft : english or polski

you can format your hdd and install it ( backup your data and driver folder on volume d: )

but if you install windows 7 by yourself, one key recover may not work.

and don't forget to compare 32 and 64 bit.

( i suggest you 32 bit because of all needed drivers are available, for 64 bit, still there're missing drivers )

and yes, you can buy any operation system you want.just don't forget to stick "key" to your laptop.

after instalation you'll need to update drivers for y530,and do it from here.

due to my absence, i may not reply your posts and/or personal messages

http://www.ki-themes.com
Ctrl-Alt-Del
szysz7

[ Edited ]

So what exactly is the upgrade kit? Is it just called like that and in fact it's a regular full version of windows, but with special price for people who have an older version of windows? Am I right? I thought that it needs some files or whatever from vista but I've heard people can upgradeit  from win XP... I'm confused...

I want to buy it and I really don't know which one.

billbolton
Topics: 68
Kudos: 167
Solutions: 103

[ Edited ]

It's not really clear what you are asking? Anyway.....

1. You can't get a 64 bit Win 7 upgrade from Lenovo (Microsoft wont allow them to sell you an upgrade)

2. You may be able to buy a retail upgrade from Microtsoft (you need to ask Microsoft about that)

3. You can buy a retail version on Win 7 64 bit from Microsoft and install that on youtr Thinkpad.

Any standard Win 7 64bit version will basically install "clean" on most recent ThinkPad models.  You can then go to the Lenovo web site, download the System Update utility, install it and then let it determine what device drivers (etc) you will need to achieve optimal performance from Win 7 on your Thinkpad.

If you have an upgrade version of Win 7 there are ways of doing a "clean" install... do a Google search and you'll find them quickly enough.

Cheers,

Bill

------------------------------
I don't work for Lenovo
Ctrl-Alt-Del
szysz7

While ordering an upgrade I can choose whatever version of windows 7 I want. The thing that is I have to type in my serial number. Does the serial number have info about my pre-installed OS?

And about your answers:
1. Yes I can: http://www.lenovo.com/windows7/europe/free_win7.html
2. I don't what a retail, too expensive, the one above is for 17 euro
3. Look above

so as you can see it may be a little bit confusing, but I've seen so many inconsistent answers that I have to ask one more time

billbolton
Topics: 68
Kudos: 167
Solutions: 103

szysz7 wrote:

While ordering an upgrade I can choose whatever version of windows 7 I want.

If you can get that to work when the order is actually processed, go for it... but its not supposed to work.

The serial number does attach to a specific build configuration for that particular machine, including the  original OS supplied with it.

Cheers,

Bill

------------------------------
I don't work for Lenovo
nir
What's DOS?
nir

I would be happy to know if it worked for you as I also have the 32bit ver. and able to order the 64bit one.

But I have no idea if the serial number will work...

Thanks,

Nir