Support in other languages: 
What's DOS?
varn

Windows is not genuine

[ Edited ]

I've bought Lenovo B520 computer with preinstalled Windows 7 Home Premium. Windows was activated and Product Id was

indicated. After several weeks I'm receiving messages that Windows "is not genuine" and I am a victim of fraud.

I did:

1. Cleaned Register with two different programs.

2. Uninstalled Antivirus.

3. Uninstalled and reinstalled Microsoft Activation Update KB971033.

4. Run Microsoft Validation tool. Diagnostic report says that Windows is genuine. But Product Key in the report (part of it is

shown) different that one in COA.

5. Reactivation impossible, error code 0x80070424.

6. Tried repair by Microsoft troubleshooting but they say it's Lenovo responsibility because Windows was preinstalled - OEM.

Product Key from COA: *****************

Product Id: 00359-OEM-8992687-00249.

Is somebody knows the solution?

Moderator note:  COA key removed

billbolton
Topics: 68
Kudos: 167
Solutions: 103

Re: Windows is not genuine

You may need to activate it via telephone, rather than rely on the on-line activation.

See...

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/00359-oem-8992687-00249-p...

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/uk/genuinewindows7/thread/0dc745b0-8e2e-44b2-8a0a-7a67f2a7dedb

Cheers,

Bill

------------------------------
I don't work for Lenovo
What's DOS?
varn

Thank you for advice but it doesn't work. Any attempt to reach Activation Center - via slui.exe 4 or by any other way - failed with error message  as I  told before: error code 0x80070424. This message also says: "You can also contact Lenovo by phone to help resolve this problem" but phone number remains unknown. I've tried to call 1-866-96-968-4465 and was informed it's not valid number. Is there direct phone to the Activation Center from Toronto or Lenovo phone?

Broadband 3G
JDay

Make your factory restore disc set and restore it to factory defaults. The key on the COA is useless for activation since the machine is pre-activated at the factory with a VLK (Volume License Key). The COA is just used as a proof of valid license.

What's DOS?
varn

I have not any factory restore disc. Only disc that was given to me is Drivers Pack V1.3 disc.

billbolton
Topics: 68
Kudos: 167
Solutions: 103

JDay wrote:

The key on the COA is useless for activation

No, it is an activatable key.

Cheers,

Bill

------------------------------
I don't work for Lenovo
Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

billbolton wrote:

JDay wrote:

The key on the COA is useless for activation

No, it is an activatable key.

That can be used to activate a "vanilla" install from Microsoft media, for instance.  (Usually requires a call to MS)

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog