Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
Joe_Speedboat
Accepted Solution

Windows refund

I'm planning on getting the Lenovo Thinkpad x120e when it's introduced in The Netherlands.
I'm a linux-user so I'm really not interested in the bundled windows and the windows software bundle.

I know there is a passage in the windows EULA: "By using the software, you accept these terms. If you do not accept them, do not use the software. Instead, contact the manufacturer or installer to determine their return policy for a refund or credit."

How does Lenovo handle such cases? Do I need to install linux in the shop, or do I just need to return the serial sticker? And how much would that refund be? Maybe I'll can go for a bit more expensive notebook.

Thanks in advance for answering my question.

Community Moderator
yigit

Re: Windows refund

pretty much all the new systems come with microsoft operation system ( just not freedos versions )

so, whenever you buy the pc, you already pay the licence for windows and sorry but it's not possible to return the key or licence to get the refund.

( it's not just for lenovo, also other brands has the same agreement with microsoft. )

http://www.ki-themes.com
Fanfold Paper
Joe_Speedboat

I know pretty much all systems come with windows, which is exactly the problem. There are no laptops < 15,6" available in The Netherlands with freedos. Because of this I am forced to buy a windows laptop, while I won't be using this software.

The windows software is a separate product (it even has it's own eula). So you should be able to return it and lot's of people have done this, also at Lenovo.

So my question is as follows: Is it a matter of getting the right person on the phone at Lenovo, or does one need to go to court to get his refund?

Community Moderator
yigit

i don't think anyone can help you.

lenovo does not provide refunds or credits for portions of a packaged
offering provided at a single price or for preloaded programs installed by lenovo.

http://forum.lenovo.com/t5/Windows-XP-and-Vista-discussion/Windows-refund-as-per-EULA/m-p/44603

http://forum.lenovo.com/t5/General-Discussion/Windows-Refund/m-p/162198

http://www.ki-themes.com
Blue Screen Again
Germ

how to get refund for Windows operating system?

I have a Ideapad S10-2; a great machine, As new I use it with Quick Start (a Linuv version in the Ideapad, because this model have 2 operating system); when I check all computer works fine, i didn't accept the Windows License, and i installed Ubuntu Linux; all works great. I'am asked for my refund of Windows, just as say the Windows License, but here in Mexico, Lenovo don't accept my petition. Of course is legal and is my right, but what is the correct and legal way to get my refund?

Thanks.

gan
Topics: 4
Kudos: 110
Solutions: 108

Re: how to get refund for Windows operating system?

[ Edited ]

Germ wrote:

I have a Ideapad S10-2; a great machine, As new I use it with Quick Start (a Linuv version in the Ideapad, because this model have 2 operating system); when I check all computer works fine, i didn't accept the Windows License, and i installed Ubuntu Linux; all works great. I'am asked for my refund of Windows, just as say the Windows License, but here in Mexico, Lenovo don't accept my petition. Of course is legal and is my right, but what is the correct and legal way to get my refund?

Thanks.

Whether or not it's your legal right probably depend on the laws in your country. If you google for it you will find some examples of people that lost in court trying to get this refund and most likely spent a lot more than the amount of this refund. yigit already posted some links that explain the Lenovo return policy and it basically says you have to return the whole package including the computer or there is no refund. If you do not accept those terms and believe that you are entitled to a Windows only refund i guess contacting a lawyer in your country for advice would be the next step, but in many countries that will cost a lot more than the refund even if you should go to court and win the case. So i guess you have to decide if it's really worth the time and cost.

The EULA for Windows 7 from Microsoft says:

By using the software, you accept these terms. If you do not accept them, do not use the software. Instead, contact the manufacturer or installer to determine its return policy. You must comply with that policy, which might limit your rights or require you to return the entire system on which the software is installed.

The last part gives Lenovo and other manufacturers the right to require that you return the whole product including the computer and not a refund for Windows only if you do not accept. Since you decided to keep the computer that gives you no right for a Windows refund if that's the Lenovo policy. If these terms are legal according to the laws in your country or not i don't know, but i guess that's what you have to find out if you want to spend that much time and money to get a few bucks refund. You might end up with nothing except for a huge bill and lot of wasted time, but Lenovo already gave an answer with regards to their refund policy so asking Lenovo the same question once more probably won't give you the answer you are looking for.

-gan

Fanfold Paper
Joe_Speedboat

This whole attitude of Lenovo was reason enough for me to get another brand of laptop.

I got myself an Asus and after returning the Windows license key sticker they wired me 60 euros. Lenovo should follow their example.

Of course you can make more profit by forcing customers to pay for some expensive piece of software they might not even want to use, but should you?

My advice for linux users: call manufacturers before buying hardware about their OS-return policy. When they claim this is not possible, stay away from those brands.

They might see a very little drop in sales, and probably they won't change their tactics until Neelie Kroes does something about it.

billbolton
Topics: 68
Kudos: 167
Solutions: 103

Joe_Speedboat wrote:

I got myself an Asus and after returning the Windows license key sticker they wired me 60 euros. Lenovo should follow their example.

So, you were determine to shoot yourself in the foot over 60 Euros :smileyvery-happy: :smileywink: :smileysurprised:

------------------------------
I don't work for Lenovo
Broadband 3G
JDay

Joe_Speedboat wrote:

Of course you can make more profit by forcing customers to pay for some expensive piece of software they might not even want to use, but should you?

All you had to do was send them a copy of this pdf and remind them that the forced bundling was ruled illegal in a case that they lost last year. The reason the person you spoke to did not know about this is because it is a very unusual request, 99% of the people who buy a new PC expect it to come with Windows.

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2005:149:0022:0039:EN:smileytongue:DF

In November 2010, Mr. J. Petrus from France successfully won the case against Lenovo which previously refused to pay him the Windows tax refund. The Court of Cassation ruled in favor of Mr. J. Petrus, stating that the bundling was unlawful based on Directive 2005/29/EC
Broadband 3G
JDay

Microsoft also changed the wording in the license agreement with Windows 7.

"By using the software, you accept these terms. If you do not accept them, do not use the software. Instead, contact the manufacturer or installer to determine its return policy. You must comply with that policy, which might limit your rights or require you to return the entire system on which the software is installed."