Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
senorm

X200 Windows7 Battery Life Problem

Hi, I have an X200 and recently installed Windows7 beta 7000 32bit. Even after getting all devices to work and installing Lenovo drivers where possible,  my battery life time never got better than about 60% of the batterylife time I had on vista.

6 cell battery

- around 6hrs on vista

- less than 4hrs on Win7

Today I installed Windows7 Build 7057 64bit and after installing all the drivers, all devices are working properly, but still the same really bad battery life!

By now I really got used to Win7 user interface and improvements, I never want to switch back..... has anyone else problems like that? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

senorm

Punch Card
senorm

Re: X200 Windows7 Battery Life Problem

Is no one experiencing the same problem? Is Lenovo already testing there systems for Windows 7 compatibility and has experienced this effect?
Punch Card
Darksaber

I've got an x200. I interchange two drives in it, one personal and one for work. Both are Win7 64. One is upgraded from Vista Ultimate, one is a clean install. The battery is a 9 cell, and performs about the same on both. I'm using the Lenovo Power Management on both.

I've not noticed a significant drop off of power, but what it's not perfect. Whenever the machine goes to sleep, whatever power management settings are in effect are frozen after that, until I reboot the machine. I thn again have control of the power settings until the machine again sleeps.

For example, I like running on power saver. On a clean start, with power connected, the screen is bright, and the processor is running at a higher rate. If I sleep the machine and disconnect from power, went it reawakens, it behaves as if it is still connected to power - it does not drop to the battery settings.

If I reboot at that point, then I have control of the power settings again, and the machine is on battery seetings (assuming I did not reconnect the power.) Everything functions as expected until the machine sleeps.

Given that Windows 7 is beta, and Lenovo's drivers aren't optimized for Windows 7, I'm very pleased that battery power works as well as it does. I've whined in this forum that Lenovo should be providing beta power management drivers, but the reality is at this point things work farily well.

I recommend patience and tweaking :smileyhappy:

I'm looking forward to the Win 7 RC, hopefully we'll see more Lenovo drivers then. 

x200 7454-CTO; 320GB HD; 4GB; Win 7 64bit - Now on RTM.
- 2nd SSD with Win 7 Enterprise RTM
T61p - RTM - Win 7 Enterprise
S10 4231 for my wife - now on Win 7 Ultimate RTM
Punch Card
senorm

I'm confused that you are not experiencing the same problem. I'm using the Lenovo Power Manager too and I made sure I rebootet before testing power settings.

Even when I run it on Power Saver, the display being at lowest brightness, CPU usage <5% it needs around 12 Watts. I made a lot of testing to figure out what is causing the increased power consumption. I deactivated single devices and checked how much the power consumption fell. I couldn't really find what causes the problem, it seems like all the components are consuming more power than on vista. WiFi and USB2.0 (though not in use) both where pretty significant with around 0.1A (--> around  1.2 Watts). but even thse two turned off do not explain the difference. After I deactivated pretty much every device I could deactivate, it came close to (but still worse than) the consumption in power saver mode on vista without any device deactivated, which is around 7.5 Watts (with display at 0% brightness).

How much does your Laptop need on this configuration? I'm wondering if mine is performing bad on win7 or yours on vista, though it's probably mine :-)

Punch Card
Darksaber

My machine may very well have a shorter battery life than with Vista - but wih the 9 cell..... it's not been an issue

hmmm - how did you get 7057 ?

You should not have that unles you are on the inside..... :smileywink:

Fanfold Paper
mika91

Same problem here with my x301.

About 6 hours on vista, only 4h30 on Windows 7.

Punch Card
Darksaber

I have found the best thing to do is to use Windows Power Saver power plan, reset to the defaults. my power meter is showing more than 8 hours now, after I've been using it awhile :smileyhappy:

I was at a customer site last week and went all day without the power brick.

Punch Card
senorm

that didn't fix the problem for me
Punch Card
dnevis

Hi Senorm,

I ran both the beta and rc 1 release. Did you install both the power manager and power manager drivers? If not please do, I had too in order to get Max battery. When you install the key trick is to set the compatibility for the setup.exe to run as vista service pack 2. That is how I got it to work- Hope this helps :smileyhappy:

Punch Card
senorm

I think that's what I did. But to be sure I've tried reinstalling both again - without luck.... thanks for your help anyway..... I'll give it another try with the RC in some days.