Support in other languages: 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
DesertRat

w500 windows 7

After having so much trouble with vista 64 I am looking forward to having windows 7 be released soon. I need to know what options will be available to users who upgrade? Will there be drivers for our devices supplied thorugh lenovo as they will probably start selling laptops with windows 7 soon? I am desperate to get a better OS that actually let's me use my laptop. Thanks
RAID Mirror
PanEuropean

Re: w500 windows 7

I did a clean install of Windows 7 Build 7100 on my W500 (4062-27U) today, and everything is working just fine.

I was quite conservative about what drivers I installed - I let the OS take precedence, in other words, if the Windows 7 OS provided a driver, then I did not install the corresponding Lenovo driver.  After the install and migration was finished, I had a look at the device manager to see what was missing - there were not too many drivers missing.  To the best of my recollection, the ones I had to install were the following:

1) Active Protection System

2) System Interface Driver

3) Ultranav Driver

4) Integrated Camera

5) Bluetooth

6) Intel Matrix Storage Manager

7) Intel Turbo Memory Controller

8) Power Manager Driver

The Windows OS seems to have provided a driver for the video system (the 3650 / 5700 thing, which it identifies as a 5700).  So, I have not installed the Lenovo driver.  The performance score is a little bit lower for graphics with this generic Windows 7 driver than it was when I was running Vista SP 2 with the Lenovo video driver, but to tell you the truth, I can't see any difference in video performance, even when playing DVDs or working with complex SolidWorks models.  So, I am going to leave things well enough alone (working on the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy) and let the system use the video driver provided with Windows 7.

I use an advanced dock - no problems there at all.  I have the switchable graphics disabled in the BIOS, so the computer always used the 'fast' video system, never the Intel video system.  I also have the fingerprint thing disabled (hidden from view) in the BIOS.

So far, it has been a very trouble-free install and everything is working just great.  The computer boots up a heck of a lot faster than it did using Vista. 

Hope this information is useful to others.

Michael

W520 (4270 CTO), which replaced a W500 (4062-27U), which replaced a T42P, which replaced an A21P...
What's DOS?
vitoasaro

I have the Advanced Dock also with the W500, but my USB ports are not working, although AC power and the DVI port for my external monitor are fine.

Are you able to use the USB ports off of the dock?

Paper Tape
cnvi

I got tired of the ATI2DVAG errors running on XP on my W500 so I backed up all of my data and installed Windows 7.

Windows 7 installed almost all of the drivers.  I then ran Lenovo's System Update 4.0 (http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/TVSU-UPDATE.html) which installed the rest of the drivers. 

Make sure to do all of this OFF the docking port.  After you finish running system update 4.0, then you can put the W500 on the docking port and all of the USB ports will work.

My W500 is screaming fast on Windows 7 (I have a solid state drive).  Windows 7 is simple to get used to its more like what XP should have been instead of all of the confusion that Vista brought to the table.

If you are still having ATI2DVAG errors, I would suggest you take the plunge and move over to Windows 7.