System recovery built into Windows 7

Helpful?
Click ►
Started ‎05-27-2010 by
Modified ‎05-27-2010 by
(16,567 Views)

System recovery built into Windows 7

Question

If I'm not using Lenovo's ThinkVantage Rescue & Recover on Think products, or One Key Recovery on Idea products, what are the system recovery options built into Windows 7?

Answer

The System Recovery Options menu contains several tools, such as Startup Repair, that can help you recover Windows from a serious error. This set of tools is on your computer's hard disk and on the Windows installation disc.

What each option does:

Startup Repair

Fixes certain problems, such as missing or damaged system files that might prevent Windows from starting correctly. For more information, see Startup Repair: frequently asked questions. 

System Restore

Restores your computer's system files to an earlier point in time without affecting your files, such as e‑mail, documents, or photos.

If you use System Restore from the System Recovery Options menu, you cannot undo the restore operation. However, you can run System Restore again and choose a different restore point, if one exists. For more information, see System Restore: frequently asked questions.

System Image Recovery

You need to have created a system image beforehand to use this option. A system image is a personalized backup of the partition that contains Windows, and includes programs and user data, like documents, pictures, and music. For more information, see What is a system image?

Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool

Scans your computer's memory for errors. For more information, see Diagnosing memory problems on your computer.

Command Prompt

Advanced users can use Command Prompt to perform recovery-related operations and also run other command line tools for diagnosing and troubleshooting problems.

Comments
by kansy on ‎06-08-2014 12:25 AM

<p>I have been trying to restore my computer to an earlier date without any success.  this action was necccessitated by a wrong display of some files which was caused as i mistakenly changed the default viewing option.  since they are netcdf files which i am using for my research, i want to restore the computer to an earlier time so that this problem can be fixed and i can view my files in the correct form/display.   I have tried the systm restore option but it says i need to turn on my system protection. this i have done following every step to turn on the systen protection but still cant get the system restore functioning even after turning on my system protection.    Please I want some help badly and soon

Contributors