Started ‎06-02-2010 by
Modified ‎06-02-2010 by
(7,016 Views)

Windows Update Error 0x80070424

Question

When I try to install Windows Updates, I receive the following error code:
0x80070424. What do I do?

Answer

If you receive Windows Update error 80070424 while checking for updates, the cause might be that a service required by Windows Update isn't running.

To start required Windows Update services

1. Open Administrative Tools by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type administrative tools, and then click Administrative Tools.
  2. Double-click Services.
  3. In the Services dialog box, click Background Intelligent Transfer Service (you might need to scroll to find it; the entries are in alphabetical order).
  4. Note the status of the selection (the status appears in the third column). If it shows Stopped, right-click Background Intelligent Transfer Service, and then click Start.
  5. In the Services dialog box, click Windows Update (you might need to scroll to find it; the entries are in alphabetical order).
  6. Note the status of the selection (the status appears in the third column). If it shows Stopped, right-click Windows Update, and then click Start.
  7. In the Services dialog box, click Workstation (you might need to scroll to find it; the entries are in alphabetical order).
  8. Note the status of the selection (the status appears in the third column). If it shows Stopped, right-click Workstation, and then click Start.
  9. Close the Services dialog box, and then run Windows updates again.

If the Background Intelligent Transfer Service doesn't appear in the list of Services, see the resolution section of this article about problems with the Background Intelligent Transfer Service on the Microsoft website. 

If the Windows Update Service doesn't appear in the list of Services, see this article about installing the Windows Update agent on the Microsoft website.

If the problem persists after you have followed the steps above, go to the Windows Update Support Center website to request support by e‑mail. (http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527) 

Contributors