Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
gleapman

Dual Booting with mSATA causing file corruption

Have a T520 with an Intel SSD. Last week I added a Kingston mSATA to install Windows 8 Consumer Preview. Pulled the SSD before installing Windows 8. Then put it back in. Since doing the install have had lots of issues with both drives, although most of the issues are with the SSD and Windows 7. Somehow, a bunch of system files and program files on the SSD have been corrupted.

Whenever I would boot to Windows 8 on the mSATA, Windows 8 would work fine. But when I would shut down and then boot to Win7 on the SSD, CHKDSK would run after the opening Windows logo and before the login screen, usually to check the SSD, but sometimes the mSATA., saying the disk needed to be checked for consistency. The first few times, CHKDSK found just a few things to fix. Then one time Win7 wouldn't open after a CHKDSK...I'd get a black screen with a cursor arrow (that I could move with the trackpoint). So I booted to the Win7 install disk and did a repair and that seemed to fix the system problems (although a few programs still have issues). I ran the Intel SSD Toolbox to scan the SSD and it didn't find any problems.

Then tonight I booted to the mSATA (no problems), then when I booted to the SSD and CHKDSK ran, it found a bunch of problems on the SSD. Here are a few representative samples:

Attribute record of type 0xa0 and instance tag 0x4 is cross linked
starting at 0x10c for possibly 0x5 clusters.
Some clusters occupied by attribute of type 0xa0 and instance tag 0x4
in file 0x1c9 is already in use.
Deleting corrupt attribute record (160, $I30)
from file record segment 457.

The index bitmap for index $I30 in file 0x13e is invalid or missing.
Correcting error in index $I30 for file 318.

Recovering orphaned file System.Data.DataSetExtensions.dll (15412) into directory file 318.
Recovering orphaned file System.Data.Entity.Design.dll (15414) into directory file 318.

Figure I need to do a clean reinstall of Win7 on both drives, but would like to figure out what's going on before I do so I don't spend a day reinstalling only to have the same problems reappear.

All help appreciated.

Jon

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

Re: Dual Booting with mSATA causing file corruption

[ Edited ]

I'll toss out something that may be completely unrelated - but see what you think.

I've been fooling with Win 7 and 8 dual booted (actually triple w/XP) on a T61.  I haven't seen your issue, but I do notice that shutting down Win 8 leads to something more like hibernation.  At least on my machine.  My guess is that's the preferred mode for a mobile device OS.

Your description and that observation bring to mind issues I had when dual booting XP and Linux - if they shared any files or folders, or if I modified any XP files or folders from Linux if XP had previously hibernated, instead of fully shutting down.  XP would come back up with a corrupted file system.

When an OS is running, some of the on-drive filesystem is cached in RAM.  Filesystem state that changes in RAM isn't always immediately reflected on the drive. If the machine hibernates,  RAM cache (saved to the hiberfile) and drive filesystem state may not be synchronized.  (Should be, but certainly wasn't with XP)  When the other OS boots, it doesn't see the same drive state that the hibernated OS remembers.  If it makes changes, when the hibernated OS resumes, things are really out of whack.

Does any of that make sense.  Sorry, I can't think of a cleaner way to explain it just now.

Is there some way to get '8 to do full shutdown?  Does that make any difference?

[edit] If you think this is a software/OS issue, and not a T520 hardware-specific issue, we might move this conversation to the Windows 8 board...

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Bit Torrent
ThorsHammer

[ Edited ]

zoltanthegypsy wrote:

Is there some way to get '8 to do full shutdown?  Does that make any difference?

Yes.  Fast Startup can be disabled.  I haven't discovered all of the ways to get to the option but here's at least one of them:

1. Control Panel | Power Options | System Settings
  2. You'll see the checkbox under the Shutdown Settings section of the page at the bottom. Most likely you'll need to click the admin permission required link at the top to "Change settings that are currently unavailable".

The way I really discovered this was when I went to the "Choose what closing the lid does" task in the Power Options area.

Fanfold Paper
gleapman

zoltanthegypsy wrote:

...but I do notice that shutting down Win 8 leads to something more like hibernation.

You may have something.  I have been using 'Shut down', not 'Sleep' (which is what MS wants tablet users to use) when closing Windows 8, thinking that would keep things clean. (Both of those are from the Metro screen.)  But there is also a way to go into 'PC Setting', then to the General tab and select "Advanced Startup-Restart now" that takes you to an option to "Turn off your PC"  (which may be different than 'Shut down').  When I used 'Turrn off your PC' several days ago, I did not get CHKDSK when I booted to Windows 7.  I'll explore that further.  Like to hear from any OS folks on that.

It'd be great if there were a way to isolate the two drives so you're using one or the other, basically giving you two separate computers.  Is there a way to set up the T520 to prevent this kind of  cross-contamination between the main drive and the mSATA when each holds its own OS (whatever those OSs are)?  Or, would it be cleaner to configure the two drives differently, maybe partitioning one of the drives and putting both OSs on that drive and using the other drive for storage?  Would that prevent the cross-contamination?

Bit Torrent
ThorsHammer

gleapman wrote:

zoltanthegypsy wrote:

...but I do notice that shutting down Win 8 leads to something more like hibernation.

It'd be great if there were a way to isolate the two drives so you're using one or the other, basically giving you two separate computers.  Is there a way to set up the T520 to prevent this kind of  cross-contamination between the main drive and the mSATA when each holds its own OS (whatever those OSs are)?  Or, would it be cleaner to configure the two drives differently, maybe partitioning one of the drives and putting both OSs on that drive and using the other drive for storage?  Would that prevent the cross-contamination?

Yes. Turn off Windows 8 Fast Startup.

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

[ Edited ]

What ThorsHammer said.

It probably won't be possible - or easy - to control or even know what each OS is doing re the other's files.  Since both are Windows filesystems the other may mount, index, use for the Recycle Bin, who knows what.

The only safe solution I can see is to make sure both filesystems are consistent and stable before switching OSs. That means never  booting to the other OS when the "current" one is hibernated.  So turn off that feature in Win 8.

Z.

Moderator Note: I'm moving this discussion to the Windows 8 board.  It's likely to be of broader interest there, and may garner some additional approaches to this issue.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Fanfold Paper
gleapman

ThorsHammer wrote:

Yes. Turn off Windows 8 Fast Startup.

Sorry.  Wasn't ignoring your suggestion, just hadn't had a chance to test it.  Wanted to get in my comments to zoltanthegypsy before heading out for some errands.

I implemented what you suggested and it appears to work.  Thanks.  The best way I found to get to that setting is to go to Power Options, then click on 'Choose what the power button does.'

I'm still concerned there may be other scenarios that could cause things to be written to the other drive.  Hope others with OS expertise jump in.

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

gleapman wrote:...

I'm still concerned there may be other scenarios that could cause things to be written to the other drive.  Hope others with OS expertise jump in.

It's OK if things get written to the other drive.  That isn't the problem.

The problem is when things get written to the other drive while the other OS is hibernated.  Changes made while the other OS is hibernated don't change the filesystem status that the other OS has cached - since the "other" filesystem state is partially held in the other OS's RAM image.  If you can follow all those "others"...

As long as both OSs are fully shut down before starting the alternate OS, things should be OK.

Z.

Fanfold Paper
gleapman

Sounds good.  I'll reinstall Win7 and Win8 (will take a day or so) and report back.  

I have a six-month Win8 Metro development project that's supposed to start this month.  I have a Samsung Slate Series 7, but prefer to code the functionality on the T520.  (Guess I should have gone with the x220 when I bought the Thinkpad last summer.  Who knew?)

Thanks ThorsHammer and zoltanthegypsy for your help.

Paper Tape
Apercu

I was having the same problem as you on my x220t. I pulled the main drive and installed Win8 CP on an mSATA.  After repairing and refreshing the Win8 OS a few times I learned you have to install Win8 as a true dual boot system to get things to work without corruption.

Rather than installing from a downloaded ISO I grabbed the WIN8 .exe and tried the real time download/install. Once the files are downloaded, run the  installer. Make sure you choose Custom Install. You will be given a choice to copy files to a usb flash drive or  a disc. I used a flash drive since it was more convenient. You need at least 4gb of free space.

Once the removable media has had the files installed, quit the installer and reboot. Hit f12 and boot from the flash drive. After you enter the product key you will be given the option to install on another partition or different drive. After install, windows will present a screen with a boot choice. You can set your boot preference/priority at this screen.

My two system(s) have been running flawlessly since I configured my dual boot this way.