Support in other languages: 
802.11n
abvasili

W8 CP installed in UEFI from an USB on my x120e - First impressions

Hi there,

Yesterday, as million of people already know, MS released W8 Consumer Preview. I downloaded a copy of W8 CP 64Bit and tested it on my x120e.

First of all, installing it in pure UEFI mode from a USB thumb drive, was very easy. This is what I have done:

1. I used Windows 7 USB/DVD Download tool to "burn" the iso on a USB (at least 4gb needed)

2. I copied all the files from the USB to a temp folder on my desktop.

3. Formatted the usb in FAT32. Windows tool formats the USB in NTFS, and this block the installation in UEFI.

4. I copied all the files from the temp folder, back to the USB now formatted in FAT32.

Than, I installed W8 as usual. I deleted the w7 partition, and the two small partitions that windows installation of w7 created, and I didn't touch my data partition (where I keep all my files).

Installation was very fast... Less than 15 minutes... Wow.

Than, windows 8 CP started and configured all the hardware on my Machine. Everything worked out of the box.

The interface is interesting, just different. It remind me the change from Gnome 2.x to Gnome 3. Computer is very responsive and is fun to use. The fan is very quiet and temperatures are really cool :smileyhappy:

Although I used it only for an hour (it was to late yesterday when I finished), it was a nice experience. I will continue to explore this new Windows, and post back more info.

The only thing I noted was that a better graphic driver is needed. The colors looks a bit washed out, not a big deal though. I'm sure lenovo's support for w8 will make our experience outstanding.

If you have already installed w8 cp on your computer, please share your experience with us.

Have fun, and happy testing to all the "fearless" users!

abvasili

I'm just a volunteer. I like to help others where I can. Do my ideas work? I hope so. o_O
Who helped you today? Do not forget to thank him.
My hardware: TP x120e 0596-2ru. Windows 7, sp1, 64Bit, English, installed in UEFI mode.
802.11n
abvasili

Re: W8 CP installed in UEFI from an USB on my x120e - First impressions

Ok, thanks to szilard, I found this info that fixed the video driver issue :smileyhappy:

AMD catalyst for W8 CP

abvasili

I'm just a volunteer. I like to help others where I can. Do my ideas work? I hope so. o_O
Who helped you today? Do not forget to thank him.
My hardware: TP x120e 0596-2ru. Windows 7, sp1, 64Bit, English, installed in UEFI mode.