Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
wsko
Accepted Solution

What does "Lenovo Settings Dependency Package" do?

Hi,

I just installed the Lenovo Settings Dependency Package on my Thinkpad x220 Tablet with Windows 8 RTM.  But I can't find anyway to "open" it or notice anything different after installing it.  Does anyone know what it does?

Thanks.

HDMI
hp79

Re: What does "Lenovo Settings Dependency Package" do?

Looks like something to do with power manager, location awareness, mobile hotspot, and camera audio stuff. You can see the script in C:\Program Files\Lenovo\SettingsDependency\show.bat with a text editor. It contains 4 packages that it installs automatically upon installation.

Maybe someone else can chime in what it actually does. It would have been nice if Lenovo added some description on the software.
Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

The Dependency Package is a set of prerequisite services/drivers that are needed to use the upcoming Metro app called "Lenovo Settings".  Inside Lenovo Settings you'll be able to adjust power, location, camera, audio, etc settings that are specific to your thinkpad.  This metro app replaces Power Manager, Communications Utility, and Access Connections that you might be used to for Win7.

By itself, the dependency package doesn't do anything - it just provides the back-end guts for the the metro app.  The metro app (like any other metro app) can only be installed from the MS store.

I'm not sure the release status of the metro app, but I think it probably won't go live in the MS store until later this month.

Guru
Fullmetal99012

How will the app know it's a Lenovo?  Will there be Lenovo specific apps in the Microsoft Store?

W530(2436-CTO): i7-3720QM, nVidia Quadro K2000M,16GB RAM, 500 GB hard drive, 128GB mSATA SSD, windows 8.1 Pro, Centrino Ultimate-N 6300.

Miix 2 10": Intel Atom Z3740, Intel Gen 7 Graphics, 2GB RAM, 128GB eMMC, Windows 8.1, Broadcom Wireless.
Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

There are several ways for an app to know whether it's running on a Lenovo system or not.  There will be Lenovo specific apps in the MS store.  Because it's the MS store, anyone can download/install the apps, but they won't do anything on a non-Lenovo system.

Punch Card
zouleous

The similar "Lenovo Dependency Package" appears to be something different and not just a name change.  The ReadMe is different and the file sizes also reflect that it may not be the same thing.  Is there a difference?

Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

"Lenovo Settings Dependency Package" is for the "Lenovo Settings" metro app.

"Lenovo Dependency Package" is for all the other Lenovo metro apps, e.g. Support, QuickSnip, Companion.

Punch Card
fomalg

[ Edited ]

What a difference between "Lenovo Settings Dependency Package" (need for metro app "Lenovo Settings")   and " Lenovo Dependency Package"?

Moderator Note; subject edited; post merged in. Was; Difference between " Lenovo Settings Dependency Package " and " Lenovo Dependency Package "?

Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

"Lenovo Settings Dependency Package" is needed for the Lenovo Settings metro app.

"Lenovo Dependency Package" is needed for Lenovo Support and Lenovo Companion metro apps.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
mark9thinkpad

[ Edited ]

Don't know which one to install.

The Description(WHAT THIS PACKAGE DOES) in Readme is too short to understand what functions they have.

Moderator Note; subject edited; post merged in.