Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
nui_xao_bo

Can I use my product key with any XP installation CD?

Hi,

I just bought a X61s. It has Windows XP pro installed, but the label on the back of the laptop is the product key of Microsoft Windows Vista Business. However, the Windows XP that is installed in my laptop is in Swedish (since I bought it in Sweden).

I would like to ask you that if I do a fresh XP installation (with any XP CDs), can I use the key of installed Windows XP to activate? And can the key that is stated on the label be used for both XP and Vista?

Thanks!

Retired Moderator
carbon_unit

Re: Can I use my product key with any XP installation CD?

The key on the COA sticker is only for Vista Business. The key used in the XP installation is only for "Volume License key" installations and will only work with VLK XP Pro installation disks.

Either you need to contact Lenovo to get an english set of recovery discs or possibly Microsoft will provide you with an XP Pro product key number based on your Vista downgrade rights.

Can you just change the language in XP? Go to Control Panel, select languages, set to english.

Registered Linux User #160145

FYI: I am not employed by Lenovo
Bit Torrent
wjli2

Carbon_Unit, when you set the language in XP Pro, it doesn't really change all that much, unlike with Vista Ultimate, i guess Microsoft is just copying Mac OS, in which during start up you choose the language you want the OS to be in.
Retired Moderator
carbon_unit

I've never messed with the language settings. If I did I would get myself in a lot of trouble.

Registered Linux User #160145

FYI: I am not employed by Lenovo