Support in other languages: 
Token Ring
GameX
Accepted Solution

Can't install sound driver - QFE needed

Hi,

I installed Windows XP x64 Edition on my Thinkpad E420; the installation of the drivers is fine, except for the sound driver.  I'm struggling for days and I hope you can help me.

I downloaded this driver here:

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS013842

But when I run the setup, I get the following error message:

The driver has not been installed: corresponding device was not found.

What?  I read the Readme.txt, and it seems I need DirectX 9 or higher.  Yes, it is installed.  I need as well a QFE:

"a QFE to allow an HD Audio driver to install. This QFE is
made available by Microsoft, and it is required to update Operating System
components before installing the audio driver."

WHERE can I download this from?  I've checked at so many places, I can't remember if I really installed the right QFE or not..  Most of the time, when a download one, it just says "My version of Windows is unsupported".  'Ya, because I'm running x64.

Can you help me?

Thanks you very much!

goretsky
Topics: 18
Kudos: 343
Solutions: 129

Re: Can't install sound driver - QFE needed

Hello,

I am not sure about this, because I have not run Windows XP Professional x64 Edition on a ThinkPad, but have you tried running Microsoft Windows Update?  The device driver may install after the latest Service Pack is applied to the base operating system installation.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee. • Dexter is a good dog • Dexter je dobrý pes
S230u (3347-4HU)X220 (4286-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)X120e (0596-CTO)T61p (6459-CTO)T43p (2678-H7U)T42 (2378-R4U)T23 (2648-LU7)
de.gif  Deutsche Community es.gif  Comunidad en Español
Token Ring
GameX

I am running XP x64, since it use seriously less space than Windows 7 x64, first (10GB with all updates, SP2 and Adobe Master Collection VS 20GB for Windows 7 alone!).  My reasons are that all my programs work under XP (I'll keep a full backup of Windows 7 if I need it again later), and Windows 7 "waste" my space.  I use Linux Ubuntu as my main OS, and I keep Windows if something goes wrong.

Yes, I applied every update, and installed SP2 (There's no SP3 on x64).  Actually, the sound driver is supposed to be compatible with the x64 version.

Just want to mention as well, I had trouble installing the video driver, to use a 1366x768 resolution, it said that "My operating system is unsupported", while this driver work perfect on XP 32-Bit and even Server 2003 32-Bit.  To fix this problem, I installed a Intel HD driver.  I was really surprised, since it did worked, and did exactly the same job that the disfunctionnal driver.

I appreciate the help!

goretsky

Hello,

So, just to verify, the sound driver is now installed and operating correctly?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee. • Dexter is a good dog • Dexter je dobrý pes
S230u (3347-4HU)X220 (4286-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)X120e (0596-CTO)T61p (6459-CTO)T43p (2678-H7U)T42 (2378-R4U)T23 (2648-LU7)
Token Ring
GameX

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Unfortunately, no; that's the only driver I have trouble with!

In fact, it have to work; why would Lenovo offer a few drivers compatible with Windows XP x64, while the sound is not working at all?  It have to work!

I found another link to download this Microsoft QFE that is required.  The link was a valid QFE for my 64-Bit version:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?2xxb46t6ekzlyxd

However when I launch it, it just says "KB901105 Setup Error - Setup has detected that the Service Pack version of this system is newer than the update you are applying.  There is no need to install this update.".

Now I'm completely lost!

I do have the last Service Pack (SP2 on x64) and every single update applied, but this QFE remain uninstalled, for some reason!

When I launch the sound driver setup, I still get the message: "Driver installation failed; could not find the device for this driver."  This driver here:

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS013842

It is supported for Windows XP Professional x64 Edition SP2!  I do have Microsoft NET Framework 4 installed as well as DirectX 9.

What should I do now?

Thanks you very much!

goretsky

Hello,

Are there any services which need to first be enabled on Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 before installing sound card drivers, like an Audio service or a PnP service?

You might want to give Lenovo tech support a call directly and speak to one of their engineers.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Token Ring
GameX

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Sorry for the delay; I encoutered a big problem with boot.ini, so I couldn't start Windows XP anymore, even after reinstallation.  Asked for help, and then reinstalled like 3 times, finally got XP reinstalled.

In the end, I finally have my sound working!

It was really giving me headaches, and I have to say I was lucky to find a functional third-party driver!

I uploaded the functional driver:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?1cos63nplku0o1z

In fact, the setup (Both for 32-Bit and 64-Bit) will show the same error message than the official Lenovo driver.  However, after you've installed the QFE from Microsoft, you shouldn't run the setup!

Instead, you'll get a popup from Windows XP saying it detected a sound card.  Choose "I will install the driver myself", select the Sound category, and click "Have Disk".  Then choose the extracted folder (Let's say E420_AUDIO\XP64.  Windows will detect the AM3PE6a.inf file, and the installation should work (No reboot required)!

I haven't installed any update yet, I'm still on SP1, so I should mention SP2 is not required, but the QFE is necessary, however (It's included with SP2).

I can confirm this work perfectly, using this method!  The volume keys of the keyboard work, as well as the keys for changing music track.

Guess it wouldn't be a bad idea to report the problem to Lenovo.  Their official driver is supposed to work on Windows XP x64, but I've tested exactly the same thing, and it won't work at all.  Guess the driver is only for 32-Bit (I wouldn't be surprised, since when the driver is extracted, there's a folder XP\x86, but no x64!).

Thanks for the help!

(YESS! :smileyvery-happy:)

EDIT: The only "problem" I've realised, is that the pitch of the WAV sounds is a bit lower, that's all.  Fortunately, that doesn't apply to MP3 and WMA (Maybe others formats as well), so my music doesn't sound disgusting.

That's not much of an issue, seriously.  I was really tired of messing up with the sound, I'm happy like that!

goretsky

Hello,

Thank you for reporting that very interesting solution!

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Paper Tape
CBlumreisinger

Please re-post that file! I really need it, I'm in the same boat as you, and I would LOVE to have sound on this stupid thing... But the file is gone from MediaFire... I REALLY hope you get this post. Thanks.