Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
mi5
Fanfold Paper
mi5

Clean reinstall XP but cannot register O/S - Microsoft does not accept product key

Hardware : Lenovo ThinkPad X60,    Type 1707-CTO,     Product ID : 1707-W4G

Software :   Windows XP Pro version 2002  with SP3 

I purchased my laptop second-hand and did not have the installation CD.    I borrowed a friend's CD and did a full reinstall .  The reinstall went well, but I cannot register the license.  Microsoft always returns error message saying product key invalid.    I am sure that the product key is valid - the sticker is still on the unit.   I finally got in touch with Microsoft. They told me I would need a recovery CD from Lenovo.  Is this correct?  What do I have to do to get a recovery CD ?  Any help would be appreciated - only a few days remaining to register.  

topmahof
Topics: 35
Kudos: 352
Solutions: 238

Re: Clean reinstall XP but cannot register O/S - Microsoft does not accept product key

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=HT035659

If someone helped you today, pay it forward. Help Someone Else!
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Retired Guru
Duck3

Re: Clean reinstall XP but cannot register O/S - Microsoft does not accept product key

Have you tried the automated phone activation?

Someone may have used the key on another computer.
mi5
Fanfold Paper
mi5

Topmahof - Thank you for the link. I will check into the various possibilities found on that page!
mi5
Fanfold Paper
mi5

[ Edited ]

Duck3 - I have tried all possible ways availible : by internet, by telephone (automated system) and by direct contact with a microsoft representative.  My product key was refused by all.

mi5
Fanfold Paper
mi5

To follow-up on my original question  . . and to help others who might be confronted with the same problem ...  I found the reason that my product key was refused.  For those of you who are interested, it is on the website called «About.com»; under the subject heading «Windows Product Keys FAQ».

Once again, thank to all those who tried to help me!

Retired Guru
Duck3

Wrong version? Explain please.