Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
desdawg

Downgrade from Vista to XP

I have a 4446-35U laptop that my mother gave to me.  She has had nothing but problems with it since she bought it in '09.  The laptop had Vista on it, but is missing most programs (corrupted?)  I would like to downgrade to XP.  Can I get an XP boot  disk and just load it or will I need to upload drivers for each device on the laptop also?  I tried an F11 to reboot Vista, but it does not work.  The recovery screen does a quick flash then goes into a windows launch.  Does Lenovo offer an XP boot disk?

Punch Card
CM40484

Re: Downgrade from Vista to XP

Unfortunately, you will have to obtain a new XP os.  The certificate key on the back of the Vista laptop will not work with XP.

The most economical fix is to buy one off of Ebay.  Many are available, just do not overpay!  Make sure you are getting a valid key with the disc.  Make sure you are not buying one that is manufacturer specific.  That is, a Dell disc will not work on anything but a Dell.

Good luck.

Carl

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

Re: Downgrade from Vista to XP

That's a G530?  If you install from a Microsoft install CD, you'll have to download the Lenovo drivers and apps manually:

Drivers and software - Lenovo G530 (MT 4446 only), N500

Some of the 4446 models (not yours) were sold with a Vista license but an XP downgrade installed.  I don't know if Lenovo support will sell you a Lenovo XP install CD for that machine but it's probably worth a call. 1-877-453-6686 (I think).

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество