Support in other languages: 
What's DOS?
bowopt
Accepted Solution

Formated X41 Tablet and missing XP CD Key

Hi,

I have a ThinkPad X41 Tablet (1866-5GA). I'm planning to sell it so I had to be sure to delete all files permenantly. To do that I used Dban to reformat the tablet. 

Before I reformatted the Tablet with Dban, I jotted down the number on the 'System Properties' - the one with OEM in it. Thinking that it was the windows XP Cd key. And of course, after I tried to reinstall the XP, I found out that the number is not actually the CD key.

I'm wondering how do I get Lenovo to inform me my CD key (I have an XP cd)?

Thanks.

Maliha

Re: Formated X41 Tablet and missing XP CD Key

Hi and welcome to the forum!

If you were running lenovo/IBM preload then that was not the key used to install XP on your tablet, it was a VLK license. But I think you have bigger issues now because XP has no support for tablet functions, it's XP tablet edition 2005 which does. Your best bet is to find recovery discs; which you can do so from lenovo or can try at marketplace of ThinkPads community.

Hope this helps.

------------------------------------------------------------

Maliha (I don't work for lenovo)
ThinkPads:- T400[Win 7], T60[Win 7], IBM 240[Win XP]

IdeaPad: U350

Apple:- Macbook Air [Snow Leopard]
Did someone help you today? Compliment them with a
Kudos!
Was your question answered today? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
de.gif  Lenovo Deutsche Community   es.gif  Lenovo Comunidad en Español 
Visit my YouTube Channel

What's DOS?
bowopt

Hi Mahili,

Thanks for the reply.

So the only way to reinstall Windows XP using the VLK license as printed on the sticker pasted on the bottom of the X41 Tablet is by buying a recovery CD? Or is there another way?

Thank you
topmahof
Topics: 36
Kudos: 328
Solutions: 223

XP tablet edition was never made available to the public by MS, it was only made available to the mfgrs.  so the only way to get the tablet functions on your x41 to work would be to get a set of restore discs from Lenovo.  The key on the laptop is for the mfgrs. version, there are no retail discs available.  

Dave

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
If someone helped you today, pay it forward. Help Someone Else!
What's DOS?
bowopt

Hi Dave,

Thanks very much for the info.