Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
padarjohn

Ghost drive appeared after recent updates

z61p, running XP-Pro.

Recently (after last moth's Windows updates, I think), a"ghost" drive appeared on my system. It has the drive letter "I:", and appears to be a mirror or the "C:" drive.If you open it, however,no files or directories show.

I can't find anyplace that it might be coming from. It doesn't show up as a mounted volume anywhere.

A friend with a T61, also with XP-Pro, had exactly the same thing happen. My desktop XP-Pro, however, is fine. My friend's solution was to install Linux. I'm not quite ready to do that yet.

Any suggestions?

buddinggeek
Topics: 105
Kudos: 139
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 118

Re: Ghost drive appeared after recent updates

hello! can you see that ghost drive in the computer management as well?why dont you check it out in diskmanagement and if you believe you have no data in it simply delete it and create a new drive.if your assumption is that is  some kind of a malware of visrus check your computer throughly

Cheers and regards,
• » νιנαソѕαяα∂нι ѕαмανє∂αм ™ « •
Think : T410,X220T,Thinkpad Yoga
Idea :3000H,Z500,Yoga 11, Yoga tab 10,Ideacenter Horizon

●๋•کáŕádhí'ک díáŕý ツ

I am a volunteer here. I don't work for Lenovo
Paper Tape
padarjohn

Nope. It doesn't show up anywhere in computer management.

I don't think it's malware. This is a work computer, and they're even more paranoid than I am. Our network traffic is proxied and monitored. I don't use IE, I don't use an HTML-capable mail reader, I update java, flash and acrobat reader immediately when updates are available, and the AV does a full system scan at least once a week. It showed up after doing the Microsoft updates, and another person here with a T61p has the same problem.

buddinggeek
Topics: 105
Kudos: 139
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 118

can you provide or zero in on the update patch(the number) you get with the update ?

Cheers and regards,
• » νιנαソѕαяα∂нι ѕαмανє∂αм ™ « •
Think : T410,X220T,Thinkpad Yoga
Idea :3000H,Z500,Yoga 11, Yoga tab 10,Ideacenter Horizon

●๋•کáŕádhí'ک díáŕý ツ

I am a volunteer here. I don't work for Lenovo
Paper Tape
padarjohn

samavedam_vijay wrote:
can you provide or zero in on the update patch(the number) you get with the update ?

Not for certain. I don't remember exactly when it happened. I believe it was around the time of the May updates, and there was only one: KB950749 (MS08-028: Vulnerability in the Microsoft Jet Database Engine). Doesn't seem very likely.