Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
echoleaf

Hang on startup due to Ultrabay disk check

I've had trouble ejecting the superbay hard drive.  It's less useful if it's not hot-swappable, but I can live with powering off and switching between it and the dvd.  A program installer I have on the hd stopped working, so I figured I'd do a disk check, which Vista scheduled to do on startup.

Now, when the ultrabay hd is in and the T400 starts up, I get the lovely blank black screen.  Since the hard drive is active most of the time, I let it go for an hour or so, at which point the hd activity stops and the only indicator lights on are wi-fi, the 'Z' in a circle and the plug power icon.

If the ultrabay drive is not in during startup, Vista boots normally, so I'm guessing it has to do with the scheduled disk check.  If so, how can I turn it off?  If it's not the disk check, what could it be?  And what's a good alternate program for checking disks & defragmenting?

Thanks!

T400 | Vista 'meh' 64| T9300 | 4gb | 7200rpm hd x2
Retired Moderator
carbon_unit

Re: Hang on startup due to Ultrabay disk check

Click the "start" button, type msconfig and press "enter". Click the "Startup" tab and find the entry that has "chkdsk" in it, uncheck it. Restart your Thinkpad. After restarting you will receive a message in the lower right corner aout some startup programs being blocked. You will need to click the icon that has the ballon with that message and have it show you the blocked program, one of them will be msconfig, allow it to run. When msconfig runs check the box that says "Do not notify me" and click next.

Vista makes it difficult.

Registered Linux User #160145

FYI: I am not employed by Lenovo
Ctrl-Alt-Del
echoleaf

Sucks to be me - checkdisk isn't listed.  Further ideas anyone? 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
echoleaf

OK - there is no diskcheck scheduled on startup, but whenever the ultrabay hd is in, my T400 hangs on boot.  If the ultrabay hd is not in, normal booting occurs.

Any further suggestions?

What's DOS?
interactivecomp

Were you able to find a resolution to this issue?  I'm experiencing the same issue - identical.  I can't imagine it's a hardware issue as I'm able to boot to the CD/DVD drive. 

Thanks

What's DOS?
acharn

I am experiencing the same problem. I have the factory 500GB HDD which came with my W520 in the ultradrive bay and an SSD in the primary bay. When I boot up from a shutdown, the screen goes black after the welcome screen, but the cursor stays. I hit ctrl-alt-del, log off and then log in and everything works. When I do a system restart, this doesn't occur, just from a cold boot. 

Anyone know how to fix this? I have taken the Ultrabay drive out because I am tired of going through this. Right now I am thinking i should have just gone with the external adapter instead of the caddy.

What's DOS?
acharn

I think I found the problem. Go into msconfig and disable (under startup) Thinkvantage Active Protection System. I no longer get the black screen and it boots normally.