Support in other languages: 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
mLyn

How to repair Windows Vista corrupt files

Hi. I think I have corrupt  Windows Vista files on my X61. I would like to know how to restore them.

Here is what happened:

Yesterday, after an aborted install of something, I suddenly lost my internet connection. Then, I found that all my settings for the internet connection were gone.

The messages that I got when checking the network adapter were "This device cannot start" and "could not load software driver".

When trying to "make a new incoming connection", I got this message, "An internal error has occured. The local user database handle is corrrupt."

Also, various services, for example, "Event Viewer" or "Windows Firewall" will not start.

When trying to manually start various services, and also in the "Network and Sharing Center", I get this: "The dependency service or group failed to start".

I tried to go to the command prompt and run "sfc/scannow", but it does not work. It only gives me a message, saying "You must be an administrator running a console session in order to use the sfc utility."

I am the administrator for this PC, so why does it not allow me to run this?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Punch Card
wing044

Re: How to repair Windows Vista corrupt files

I think you need to run cmd with admin rights.

Try right click on the Command Prompt link in start menu, then choose 'Run as Administrator'.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
mLyn

Thanks!

I am now running the scan, and will see what happens.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
mLyn

Just an update ... the scan (sfc/scannow) did not find anything wrong with the integrity of my system.

At this point, since I do not have any System Restore points to go back to, I guess I will have to back up all

my data to DVD, and reset the PC to factory default. That is what Lenovo Tech support just now suggested.

Paper Tape
ThinkpadForever

I hope you are able to recover your data and do regular backups for future contingencies like this.

A tip is to store data on c: drive instead on of the c:/user folders. Reason? If for whatever reason your login is corrupted, your data is locked out.

Try to look at this on the bright side: you get to restore your lappy to factory state and start fresh. Your lappy should function faster off the block. The down side is the need to spend some time update to the latest drivers and installing your apps.

Some may argue that if the factory drivers work, then don't risk with the new drivers which may trip your system up - this is still an unresolved issue.

Thinkpad X61 7673-A22
T7300 (2GHz), 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD 5400 rpm, 12.1in 1024x768 LCD, Intel X3100, Intel 802.11agn, Bluetooth, Modem, 1Gb Ethernet, Secure chip, Fingerprint reader, 8c + 4c + 4c extended Li-Ion, WinVista Business 32