.NET Framework Update

Helpful?
Click ►
Started ‎09-07-2010 by
Modified ‎09-07-2010 by
(953 Views)

.NET Framework Update

Question

I have a T61p model 6459-CTO working on Windows Vista Home Premium. Mys system came equipped with .NET Framework version 1.1.

I keep being told by my Windows Updater for over a month that there is an important update of Microsoft's .NET Framework, version 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Update (KB951847) x86. 

I'm aware of the old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and I do not have experienced any troubles that I could specifically connect to this software. Actually, I must confess that I don't even know what it does.

On the other hand, I'm not blind either for the need of keeping your system always updated with the most recent drivers an program versions.

To further complicate things for me, during the searches I did, I landed in this Microsoft page:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951847

What left me a little confused is the fact that this page keeps making references to prior versions 2.x and 3.x but it is mute on version 1.x

I guess my reluctance also comes from being aware that Lenovo inserts its own tweets to some of the software it loads into its systems before shipping them and this leaves me unsure about whether to proceed.

Can anyone provide some insight about this issue, please?

Answer

Some programs depend on the .net framework to run some of their functions,vista itself comes with the .net framework 3.0 version .Microsoft  releases them as cummulative updates to plug up security loopholes and possibly add enhancments for people using visual studio in vista.It would be best you just ignore them if you are not using visual studio.

Contributors