Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
Bucks-Gold

Restoring T61 back to life

[ Edited ]

Just received a LENOVO ThinkPad T61 type 6465-57U

Product # 646557U.  The hard drive has been totally wiped and there were no system disks, driver disks or recovery disks, nor was there any documentation included with this Laptop.  I wish to restore this laptop back to its original configuration.  I don’t care if its Windows 7 or Windows XP Pro.  Right now, attempting to load XP Pro, I get a blue screen message telling me it can’t find a hard drive. I opened it up and found a 120 Gig. hard drive, which you can hear running. I reset the drive and attempted to reload XP Pro but still get the same message about not finding a usable hard drive …..  Is there someone out there that can help me out, … Point me in the right direction, … Or tell me how to breath life back into this laptop so that I will have full and total function once again ?  Many Thanks to anyone who can assist me on this venture. I want to be able to use all the original features that came with it.

Thank You !

Moderator Note; s/n edited for member's own protection

andyP
Topics: 161
Kudos: 714
Solutions: 635

Re: Restoring T61 back to life

Bucks-Gold, welcome to the forum,

as you are trying to install XP you will need to enter BIOS and set, in the Config menu, the SATA setting from AHCI to compatibilty mode. XP doesn't have the necessary SATA driver in order to be able to see your hard drive.  To enter BIOS press F1 when you see the Lenovo BIOS splash screen at start up.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog