Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
RobertSR

SMI Helper Driver error

I am getting an error message on my event viewer log from the System Control Manager "The SMI Helper Driver (smihlp2) service failed to start due to the following error:  The system cannot find the file specified."  I cannot find a good reference for smihlp2 on the Internet other than that it's related to my fingerprint software.  Does anyone know where I can find smihlp2 or how to turn off the command to look for it?

Lenovo Staff
Herik

Re: SMI Helper Driver error

Hi,
this file should be located on following location:
%programfiles%\common files\thinkvantage fingerprint software\drivers\smihlp.sys

This is one of the UPEK Fingerprint drivers.
In this situation I would advice to check this location and in case you can see this file in this location, then it might be an error caused by this corrupted file. In such case please delete this file and reinstall the Fingerprint application, or update to the latest version.

Cheers

802.11n
JNavas

I just encoutered this problem, apparently as a result of updating Fingerprint software with System Update to 5.9.7.7226.
See attached screen shot. Error from smihlp2. No error from smihlp.
Using Repair on Fingerprint software did not help.
Uninstalling Fingerprint software and then reinstalling with System Update did solve the problem.

However, that workaround should not be necessary -- something needs to be fixed.

Hope that helps,
John
ThinkPad T420s [ i7-2640M CPU | 8GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Bay Battery | BT | Webcam | FR | Win7Pro64 ]
802.11n
biznatch

[ Edited ]

I'm having the exact same thing happen on my W520 with Windows 7. I don't know when it started or if it was from an update, but I also had to uninstall and reinstall the fingerprint software. The file mentioned by Herik was not where it was supposed to be located. The folder wasn't even there, but that could be because I'm on Win7? After reinstall it is located in "C:\Program Files\ThinkVantage Fingerprint Software".

The only difference now is that instead of the Lenovo background and fingerprint logo it shows what I think is the generic Windows blue background and logo.  Not a big deal but I liked the Lenovo one better, any way to get it back?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
W520 i7-2720QM | 32 GB RAM 1333 MHz | FHD 1920x1080 | Quadro 1000M | Windows 7 & Ubuntu 12.04
256 GB Crucial M4 mSATA + 2 x 1 TB Hitachi Travelstar 7200 rpm | BIOS 1.38
What's DOS?
crozz07

Hello, 

I also encountered this problem after updating the driver for the fingerprint reader. Hope we hear an answer soon. Using Lenovo x220

What's DOS?
marcozanini

exactly the same. I have also W520 with Windows 7

What's DOS?
CourtOakes

I'm having the same problem. Do I uninstall in the device manager or with the 7 uninstaller? thx 

802.11n
JNavas

CourtOakes wrote:

I'm having the same problem. Do I uninstall in the device manager or with the 7 uninstaller? thx 

Uninstall in Windows Control Panel.

Hope that helps,
John
ThinkPad T420s [ i7-2640M CPU | 8GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Bay Battery | BT | Webcam | FR | Win7Pro64 ]
WWAN
Puppy

[ Edited ]

The same problem on Windows 7 after update to version 5.9.8.7264.

What's DOS?
reyounglee

same problem after the installation of the 5.9.8.7264 fingerprinter software