Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
andrewfong

Re: Vista with XP Downgrade and no recovery discs - how do I create recovery discs?

This morning, I received this e-mail:

----

Dear Mr. Fong,

Thank You for contacting Lenovo.

Further to your query  Regarding Recovery CD'S that you have not received for your order ######, we would like to inform you that the request which was sent to the concern department for an investigation has been rejected informing that the recovery cd's does not ship out along with the system since its preloaded. Incase if you do require the back up CD'S please do call the recovery CD department - 800-565-3344.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if any, and we would also like to let you know you are a valuable customer for Lenovo and we appreciate your business with us.

Should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us on 1-866-428-4465, and we would be glad to assist you.

Assuring you of our best services.

Thanks & Regards

Christopher. Rosario
Senior Representative

----

Which is wierd, because I just received my recovery CDs yesterday. For free. Clearly, someone at Lenovo is confused. And not just grammatically.

Fanfold Paper
jonros

Re: Vista with XP Downgrade and no recovery discs - how do I create recovery discs?

New owner of an X61s. Thanks to the forum for pointing out what to do. Called the no, CSR did have to put me on hold to check, and when he came back just verified the ship address and that was that. 

No mention of extra charges or the like. I probably should have asked how to get XP Pro recovery discs (though I have made recovery discs - cant hurt to have the Lenovo issued version.)

Punch Card
seattlenerd

I think the challenge with the Accepted Solution here is getting the right CSR on the other end who has done this before.

I finally got around to calling today to order the Windows Vista for Business recovery CDs that never came with my system, in case I want to use the Vista license and not the XP Pro downgrade. Everyone was very nice and helpful, but the CSR at the support number wasn't aware of the issue, talked to her supervisor, and then transferred me to Lenovo sales and a supervisor there (the CSR stayed on the line the entire time). The sales supervisor was familiar with the issue and approved the recovery CD shipment but the CSR didn't know how to order the recovery media and do an internal cost transfer so I wouldn't be charged for it.

So ultimately the sales supervisor asked me to forward him the recovery CD invoice (about $52) by email, and he would see to it I was reimbursed. A third person took my payment info, the original CSR confirmed everything, I forwarded the receipt to the sales supervisor, and all appears to be handled.

As pleasant and helpful as everyone was, this seems a bit inefficient. But I suspect it will all work out.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Pcar964

[ Edited ]

Received a new A61 9120 with Vista Business downgrade to XP Pro.

First problem, downgrade hasn't been installed and we're expected to use the six CD recovery set to install XP Pro. Why does Lenovo need six CDs to install XP Pro? Microsoft supply XP on one CD. Dell XP recovery is also one CD as is Toshiba.

I assume the six CDs over write the 4Gb Vista recovery partition before installing XP. As no Vista recovery media supplied, we try the F11 or Esc to launch recovery partition to create Vista media, doesn't work, goes straight to booting Windows.

Reluctantly allow Windows to start, three hours later and after numerous reboots, system is still installing updates to what I assume is Vista. Not downloaded updates, but updates to Vista(?) that Lenovo chose not to slip stream into their install and leave them to be installed on first boot.

Edit: Updates eventualy completed and system rebooted and tried to start Vista, fell over. Same when trying to start in Safe Mode. We've wasted hours letting the supplied half installed Vista finish installing in the hope we'd find an option to create Vista recovery media. Instead we end up with no way to boot into Vista, create Vista recovery media or access the recovery partition.

This situation is unacceptable and shows a serious lack of business sense by Lenovo. When we purchase a Dell/HP with XP, that's what is installed and appropriate media is supplied.

Worse is that this thead was started on 11-09-2008 10:56 PM. Now five months later Lenovo still haven't sorted the problem by including a Vista Business recovery CD/DVD in the box.

Tim, on 1st October 2008 you wrote:

Folks,

I have been looking into this and should have an answer soon. Bottom line is that everyone who ordered Vista Business with XP downgrade will be able to use that Vista license, I just need to find out the proper way to get this resolved for everyone. Thanks for your patience.

-----------------------------------
Tim Supples
Lenovo Social Media

Got a question? Don't PM me, post it on the forum!

Then on 17 November 2008:

Tim_Lenovo wrote:

Folks,

Richard is correct. Call your local tech support number and inform them of the situation. You can find this number at http://www.lenovo.com/support. The phone number Richard mentions is the correct number for the U.S.

Well Tim, we phoned the UK number 08705-500-900 today and got nowhere, passed from one person to another then cut off. This happened three times. Unlike USA number, the UK one is not freefone. Instead it's a premium rate number costing 10p/minute. So Lenovo not only mess us about and give us extra work, but then make money from us when we want what we paid for.

I find it very sad that Lenovo is slowly but surely destroying the reputation for quality, service and reliability IBM spent decades building for IBM/Think* computers. No wonder profits and market share have crashed.

Tim, as a Lenovo rep, you should be offering to take control of this ongoing problem and say you will personally intervene for every person here asking for Vista Business recovery media and arrange for it to be supplied free of charge. Furthermore, you should have raised this issue at senior management level months ago to ensure Vista Business recovery media is supplied with every new computer.

If Lenovo want to keep their business users and resellers on board, they need to buck up fast.

Thread marked as solved? Don't believe it is.

Peter

Message Edited to include Broken Vista install
Message Edited by Pcar964 on 24-02-2009 11:33 PM
Message Edited by Pcar964 on 25-02-2009 12:55 AM
-------------
IBM & Lenovo Business Partner, Microsoft Partner & VAR
Authorised reseller for Intel, AMD, Adobe, Seagate, Lexmark, HP, Canon, Executive Software, Computer Associates, APC and others
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Pcar964

[ Edited ]
Tim (Tim_Lenovo),

PMd you 23-02-2009 11:13 PM, you've been online since then, but no reply to pm or this thread.

Is Lenovo running a new business model based on "loose buyers asap"?

Will start new "not solved" thread tomorrow.

Peter

PM:

Vista cd

To: Administrator
Date: 23-02-2009 11:13 PM

Tim,

Re: http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/board/message?board.id=Special_Interest_Windows&message.id=2177#M2177

Please arrange for Thinkcentre Vista Business cd/dvd to be sent foc asap

xxA, xxxxxxx, Edinburgh, xxxxxxx

Peter

peterxxxxx@xxxxxxx

Message Edited by Pcar964 on 24-02-2009 11:01 PM
-------------
Authorised reseller for Intel, AMD, Adobe, Seagate, Lexmark, HP, Canon, Executive Software, Computer Associates, APC and others
Administrator
Mark_Lenovo

Pcar964,

Sorry to hear that you are having trouble.  I'm not sure what commitments or timeframe Tim may have made to you.

I will check in with him to tommorrow regarding your concerns.

For clarification, the forum is not an order desk, and though the Lenovo employees who participate here may try to help individual situtations as we are able, the formal channels remain sales and service for the ordering of downgrade or recovery media.

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
andyP
Topics: 161
Kudos: 714
Solutions: 635

Pcar, welcome to the forum,

I'm sorry to read that you seem to be having difficulties. Maybe some of the following information may help resolve the situation.

To create recovery discs for Vista; go to Start > Programs > ThinkVantage > Create Product Recovery Media. The first disc created will be a boot cd, thereafter you can use dvd, two will be enough.

In order to run the XP downgrade; do not press F11 or ESC, you need to boot from the Rescue & Recovery cd which was included in the set you received. Booting from cd should be set as default in BIOS, but it's always worth checking; press F1 at boot to enter BIOS and navigate to the Startup menu. You can change the boot order here if required.

The set of six discs is because all drivers, tools and ThinkVantage Technoloy software is included. They create the recovery partition which then installs the appropriate drivers and tools for your system.

I hope this helps.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Pcar964

Mark_Lenovo wrote:

Pcar964,

Sorry to hear that you are having trouble.  I'm not sure what commitments or timeframe Tim may have made to you.

I will check in with him to tommorrow regarding your concerns.

For clarification, the forum is not an order desk, and though the Lenovo employees who participate here may try to help individual situtations as we are able, the formal channels remain sales and service for the ordering of downgrade or recovery media.

Mark

Mark,

Thank you for reply. My gripe is that nobody will take responsibility to resolve the missing Vista media

"Tim, as a Lenovo rep, you should be offering to take control of this ongoing problem and say you will personally intervene for every person here asking for Vista Business recovery media and arrange for it to be supplied free of charge. Furthermore, you should have raised this issue at senior management level months ago to ensure Vista Business recovery media is supplied with every new computer."

Peter

-------------
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Pcar964

[ Edited ]
Andy,

Won't work, cannot access vista or recovery partition.

Edit: Updates eventualy completed and system rebooted and tried to start Vista, fell over. Same when trying to start in Safe Mode. We've wasted hours letting the supplied half installed Vista finish installing in the hope we'd find an option to create recovery media. Instead we end up with no way to boot into Vista, create Vista recovery media or access the recovery partition.

Only option is to use the six cds to install xp, then no vista available.

Please tell worldwide support to supply vista cd/dvd foc and provide an email address for requests.

Peter
Message Edited by Pcar964 on 25-02-2009 12:19 AM
-------------
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Pcar964

andyP wrote:

The set of six discs is because all drivers, tools and ThinkVantage Technoloy software is included. They create the recovery partition which then installs the appropriate drivers and tools for your system.

I hope this helps.

Andy,

Way things are going, I'm concerned that when I select SATA RAID in bios, the XP install will fail. If it does, were in a catch 22, as:

"Note: AHCI/RAID drivers can not be installed or enabled after the operating system is installed."

Tim, Mark, Andy, are the sata raid drivers in the 6 cd xp install?

If not, what is the solution?

Peter

-------------