Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
georgesgiralt

Wifi disconnects quite regurlarily

Hi !
On my Lenovo 3000 N200 (0769-BAG) dwngraded to Windows XP (with an OEM XP CD and all Lenovo drivers+thinkvantage add-ons), I can easilly connect to my Netgear Wifi router using WPA encryption. (the laptop card is an Intel 3945ABG)
But, under Vista or Linux fedora 7 the connection, once established, is perfectly stable.
On Xp, it connects upon session opening and after some time disconects without re-connecting. I'm obliged to open ThinkVantage access connection and ask for a connection (which always works). After some time, same disconnection arose....
Any clue, tips, leads, things to check ???
TIA !
billbolton
Topics: 68
Kudos: 167
Solutions: 103

Re: Wifi disconnects quite regurlarily

georgesgiralt wrote:
Any clue, tips, leads, things to check ???

Check the power management options for the WiFi card in both the Power Manager and in Access Connections.  They sometime contribute to the sort of problem you are experiencing if they are set anything else but "maximum performance" for the Wi Fi card.

Cheers,

Bill
------------------------------
I don't work for Lenovo
andyP
Topics: 182
Kudos: 710
Solutions: 629

You could look at the advanced wireless setting in Access Connections and check that it's set to best network performance. It's worth also checking the powermanagement settings of the wlan card properties in device manager and that windows is not allowed to turn it off.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos
Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you. Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.
FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community

PepperonI blog 

Punch Card
georgesgiralt

Hi !
Thanks a lot for your answers.
So far, it seems to work. But I wonder why the default values are set like that...
andyP
Topics: 182
Kudos: 710
Solutions: 629

I believe the default settings may be intended to extend battery life

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos
Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you. Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.
FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community

PepperonI blog