Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
ouzoorca

Windows refund as per EULA

I just got a new w500. Great computer. But I only had options of windows OS's. I would like to like to install my own OS and get refunded for the windows os by lenovo. What is the best way to go about this. I tried calling customer service and they were very unhelpful. I don't want it to streach into something like this guys situation.

http://equiliberate.org/?q=node/3

802.11n
plutos

Re: Windows refund as per EULA

http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/productrefund/refund.mspx

Under the heading "What Products Are Not Eligible for a Refund?"

it clearly says "Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) software preloaded on a PC (contact the PC manufacturer)". The pre-loaded OS fits into this category. Thus, no refund.

802.11n
Xeogin

I'd asked about getting one without an OS myself, it was a no go, same with no RAM. You might as well stick with Windows on one partition, and put Linux on another. It's not that much of a storage loss, and now you have a back-up OS for messing around, and Flashing the BIOS or whatever :robotwink:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Currently Just passed the CompTIA A+ 601 with flying colours! =D
Owner of an SL500 running Vista Business with 4GB of PC2 6400 RAM
buddinggeek
Topics: 105
Kudos: 140
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 118

[ Edited ]

hello you could have at best taken a desktop with DOS and installed your own OS it could have saved you both time and money...you can still install your own OS on another partitions except the C: drive untill you dont tinker with it...

please provide your country name and if possible system configuration as your signature  helps to give more specific answers effciently

Message Edited by samavedam_vijay on 04-14-2009 06:32 PM

Cheers and regards,
• » νιנαソѕαяα∂нι ѕαмανє∂αм ™ « •
Think : T410,X220T,Thinkpad Yoga
Idea :3000H,Z500,U410,Yoga 11, Yoga tab 10,Horizon
●๋•کáŕádhí'ک díáŕý ツ

I am a volunteer here. I don't work for Lenovo
Fanfold Paper
ouzoorca

[ Edited ]

It looks as though I won't a get a refund for windows. I don't have the time and perhaps patience to pursue it the way I have heard about others doing. But I fell it is wrong to only sell computer with windows and not allow for choice.

Moderator Note; please update your profile with your correct country location as per the forum rules. Products, options and services vary from market to market. Knowing your location helps us help you

Message Edited by andyP on 08-29-2008 09:24 PM
Paper Tape
Wilmer

plutos wrote:

http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/productrefund/refund.mspx

Under the heading "What Products Are Not Eligible for a Refund?"

it clearly says "Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) software preloaded on a PC (contact the PC manufacturer)". The pre-loaded OS fits into this category. Thus, no refund.

You're quoting Microsoft there, not Lenovo. I don't think the point here is getting the money back from Microsoft, which definitely wouldn't make sense. As your quote already says: contact the PC manufacturer.

I'm getting a Thinkpad X200s one of these days and will also try to go through this EULA hassle. It may earn me only $30 but I'm not doing it for the money but for the fact that I don't want my money to go to Microsoft and because if everyone would give up this easily, we'll never be able to buy laptops without Windows. :-/

erik

Wilmer wrote:
It may earn me only $30 but I'm not doing it for the money but for the fact that I don't want my money to go to Microsoft and because if everyone would give up this easily, we'll never be able to buy laptops without Windows. :-/

unfortunately this only pulls money out of lenovo's pocket.   the money has already gone to microsoft.

welcome to the forum, btw. :smileywink:

this is the least untruthful answer i can give.Microsoft MVP

Paper Tape
Wilmer

Thanks! I had someone from Lenovo support (Dee) on the phone earlier this week and she adviced me to post on this forum, so that's what I'm doing. :-)

Bah, so that's what the policy means; Lenovo may give me the money but Microsoft isn't going to pay them back. That's a real shame. I'm still tempted to try the refund way though, since that's probably the only way to let the company know that only selling laptops with Windows isn't great...

Paper Tape
DrCroubie

[ Edited ]

So i'm another linux-native who was forced to buy a laptop with vista pre-installed, but i don't mind pulling the money from Lenovo's pocket.

End of last year i was looking for one, i found the SL500 on the australian site with the option of FreeDOS, and i would have bought it then and there except that i'm in europe, and not going home to australia for a while yet (by which time, i thought, i would still have the option of freedos, and probably better hardware for cheaper as tends to happen over time).

also, lenovo.au have this thing about "Due to Australian export restrictions and policies, Lenovo does not ship international orders outside Australia. However, online shopping is available all around the world, and we are pleased to accept orders from within the final destination country. ", so i couldn't just ship it to europe from home.

I did go back to lenovo.au last week anyway, the way the exchange rate is going it may still have been cheaper to buy in australia, send to my parents in australia, to re-send to me in europe. but the option for FreeDOS seems to have disappeared from the SL500 (possibly from others too, didn't check)

so i thought i could buy it from the states instead. "Due to U.S. export restrictions and policies, Lenovo does not ship international orders outside the United States. However, online shopping is available all around the world, and we are pleased to accept orders from within the final destination country. "

(sounds more like lenovo policy than laws to me). and their option for FreeDOS has also gone.

so i tried the UK website, the SL500 isn't customisable to DOS (or to the 1680x1050 screen which i really wanted), and the model doesn't seem to exist at all in NL, DE, DK, SE, NO, FI (ie, anywhere i have friends i can send it to their house), so in the end i was forced to buy the 3000 N200 ty2k2uk (which was a bit less than i wanted, but good wsxga+ screen and T8100 with VT but with an old gFg7300) from a retailer, with the pre-installed vista home premium or whatever it is.

So normally, i would feel bad about taking money from lenovo and not from m$, but after the screw-around i've had, i think it's only fair, i don't really care about the money anyway, it's barely a few beers' worth, i just want to add another tick to the number of people who would like the choice to not pay the ms-tax. (ie, i'm one of those who won't give up easily either, for the principle)

but my question is, whom do i call, or email, and what currency do i get a refund in? i bought this UK model from a UK online retailer, shipped it to the Netherlands where i am now (and don't speak dutch), and paid using an Australian-dollar visa card (also, i have NL and AU bank accounts, but no UK).

ps, the other option is to use the win license anyway, virtualise vista within linux (yes, i know home premium license says you can't), see my post soon on how to create/get vista install cds if i can't find an answer somewhere here...

[edit]pps, i just flipped the laptop over, and the windows license sticker on the bottom actually says Lenovo Singapore, so much for all that bs about re-exporting and whatnot...

Message Edited by DrCroubie on 04-24-2009 10:48 AM
tct
What's DOS?
tct

Hello,

Last week I bought a Lenovo IdeaPad U350 59-024274

IdeaPad U350 only ships with Windows Vista Home Premium (WinVHP)  but I don't want to use it, as I am a happy GNU/Linux user :-)

I haven't accepted the Microsoft Software License Terms and neither downloaded, installed, copied, accessed, nor used Windows Vista, as stated in the Lenovo International License Agreement for Non-Warranted Programs which again I haven't accepted.

If someone does not accept the Microsoft Software License Terms, it is stated that he/she is elligible for a refund.

By using the software, you accept these terms. If you do not accept them, do not
use the software. Instead, contact the manufacturer or installer to determine their
return policy for a refund or credit.

The manufacterer and installer is IBM/Lenovo. Extract from Lenovo terms:

BY DOWNLOADING, INSTALLING, COPYING, ACCESSING, OR USING THE
PROGRAM YOU AGREE TO THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT.

[...]

If for any reason You are dissatisfied with the Program and You are the original licensee, You
may obtain a refund of the amount You paid for it, if within 30 days of Your invoice date You
return the Program and its PoE to the party from whom You obtained it. If You downloaded
the Program, You may contact the party from whom You acquired it for instructions on how to
obtain the refund.

As I haven't accepted neither of the two licenses for the non-warranted program preinstalled on my computer (WinVHP), I decided to ask Lenovo for a refund and installed GNU/Linux.

Because my entire hard drive was initially occupied by WinVHP and Lenovo WinVHP Rescue System, I made room for Ubuntu GNU/Linux by erasing and repartitioning the hard drive along with the programs I wasn't using and not intending to use in the future.

My new Ubuntu system works great but I still have a Windows serial key on the back of my laptop which I don't use and want to return back to Lenovo and ask here for a refund for WinVHP from Lenovo.

I am looking forward to find information about the refund procedure

I shall privately provide my bank account information for the transfer of money.

Thank you in advance for your help,

Tibi