Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
mcq
What's DOS?
mcq

audio driver problem

I have what I think is an unusual symptom. My audio device comes and goes. When I have a device, it is a yellow Multimedia Audio Controller. Checking Device Manager tells me that I have no audio device installed. Why not? What happened to my audio device? I have not intentionally removed or disabled it, just one day it wasn't working. I visited Tech Guy and got advice from a few people and the prevailing theme seemed to be one of driver problems. So, I  downloaded  Realtek AC'97 Audio, attempted to install it but got a blue screen (not the BSOD) which said it was shutting me down to prevent damage to my computer and a full screen of info. It shuts down too quickly to read all of the info. Anyone out there got any ideas? I'm using a 6 year old factory refurb T43 with Win Pro.

Guru
Mornsgrans

Betreff: audio driver problem

Do you have more issues with your T43, for example a message "This USB device can run faster, if you connect it to an USB 2.0 port..." after plug in an USB-stick or USB-hard drive?

In that case you definitely have a hardware problem.

I recommend, first to test audio with a Linux live-CD and PC-Doctor for DOS bootable CD

--------------------------------
My home-forum: http://www.thinkpad-forum.de
Wiki: Deutsches ThinkPad-Wiki English ThinkWiki
My ThinkPad-Collection
mcq
What's DOS?
mcq

Thanks for the reply and yes, I have had that message for sometime and assumed that it was an ad to get me to buy something. I have had one thing after another go wrong with his machine and a friend who uses IBM,s on the job says they are junk, its time to throw in the towel. I just ordered a Dell Inspirion 2305 all in one desk top. I know its not portable but it is much easier to read the screen. This will be our second Dell 2305, we bought one last October and are very happy with it. Hopefully this T43 will stay alive long enough for me to transfer programs and data. Again, thanks for looking. Good bye IBM.

What's DOS?
clairienz

I have the same problem with this too.Its hard for me to solve it honestly.Have you installed the driver for the audio??you need to download the most update version of the audio device. When you are in the device manager check the driver details and see what version you have. Go directly to the manufacturer's website and download or see the most update version. What is the audio device and its manufacturer?

Try to chech this out:

techyv.comaudiodeviceproblem

Guru
Mornsgrans

[ Edited ]

@clairienz:

it looks, that mcq's T43 has flexing of the southbridge - that can happen to every notebook brand and model (my DELL Latitude had the same issue a couple of years ago). The USB 2.0 - message is an indicator for it.

The Lenovo audio driver in normal cases works fine with XP service pack 3, even it is an older driver.

One thing very often will be forgotten while installation:

Executing the downloaded package only extracts it to C:\DRIVERS\WIN\Audio. After that the setup.exe must be executed additionally.

--------------------------------
My home-forum: http://www.thinkpad-forum.de
Wiki: Deutsches ThinkPad-Wiki English ThinkWiki
My ThinkPad-Collection