Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
jdfowl

clean xp install

I've recently purchased a T61 with XP and would like to do a clean install of XP without ANY preloaded applications.  I've made the recovery disks and have gone through the operating system reinstall process once.  A clean install doesn't seem possible, since the install is run by the ThinkVantage software instead of the normal Windows installer.  Also, the ThinkVantage software doesn't look to support a partitioned harddrive, which is something else that I'd like to do.  How can I do a clean install of XP?

Josh
T61, 14.1", 2GB RAM, 2.4GHz Core2Duo, dual boot w/ Ubuntu and xp pro
Retired Moderator
carbon_unit

Re: clean xp install

Go get an OEM XP install CD and install XP the normal way using the COA sticker on the bottom of the unit. Download the drivers from the Lenovo website.

Registered Linux User #160145

FYI: I am not employed by Lenovo
Paper Tape
jdfowl

Will Lenovo supply me with one?

I've tried one (HP) that I had, but it said that it couldn't proceed because it could not detect a hard drive.  WTF?

Josh
Retired Employee
Cedric

Installation instructions for Windows XP - ThinkPad T60, T60p

This support document has instructions on doing a clean windows installation.

I will also cheat and quote ThinkWiki

The Windows XP install-cd doesn't include drivers for the AHCI-mode of the S-ATA drive. Therefore, on the models using this by default, you should set the SATA Controller Mode Option (in the BIOS setup) to "Compatibility" before installing windows, OR before beginning the install, download the "Intel Matrix Storage Manager Driver" from Lenovo's support-site, copy these to a diskette to install by pressing F6 during the driver-loading of the windows install process (see the readme for more info).

jdfowl

Thanks, Cedric, that link is working.

Josh