Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
jlee45
Accepted Solution

same xp rescue and recovery disc on two separate thinkpads

Hello All,

I am sorry if this is a repeat question, but I was unable to find a post regarding this.  As stated in the subject line, I was wondering if it is possible to use the same set of xp rescue and recovery discs on two separte thinkpads?  Both machines have Vista Business so legally both are entitled to an xp downgrade. 

Furthermore, Is each set of xp R&R discs unique? i.e. associated with a specific vista/xp serial number and matched to a certain machine?  OR  Are the xp R&R discs generic and can work on any Vista Business Thinkpad?

Thanks for your help!

jlee

Retired Moderator
carbon_unit

Re: same XP rescue and recovery disc on two separate thinkpads

;
jlee45 wrote:

Hello All,

I am sorry if this is a repeat question, but I was unable to find a post regarding this.  As stated in the subject line, I was wondering if it is possible to use the same set of XP rescue and recovery discs on two separte thinkpads?  Both machines have Vista Business so legally both are entitled to an XP downgrade. 

Furthermore, Is each set of XP R&R discs unique? i.e. associated with a specific vista/XP serial number and matched to a certain machine?  OR  Are the XP R&R discs generic and can work on any Vista Business Thinkpad?

Thanks for your help!

jlee

The recovery discs are not unique to each Thinkpad, they are not tied to a serial number or a certain machine, but they will only work properly on a same or similar series machine. For example, a set of recovery discs created on a T60 widescreen may not work properly on a T60 standard screen. The set will run OK and install fine but there may be drivers missing.

On two identical Thinkpads they recovery discs will work fine.

The recovery discs use a Volume License Key number and will activate just fine on many units. No worries about the licensing or activation.

Registered Linux User #160145

FYI: I am not employed by Lenovo
Ctrl-Alt-Del
jlee45

Re: same xp rescue and recovery disc on two separate thinkpads

Hello carbon_unit,

Thanks for the response, some additional question. 

1.If there are drivers missing, will i be able to find them on the lenovo website or somewhere on the internet?  2.How long does the whole xp downgrade via the R&R discs take? 

3.Is the whole process executed by the disc or will i have to do some additional work?

jlee

Retired Moderator
carbon_unit

1). All drivers can be found here.

2).Make sure you set the BIOS to boot from the cd first. Give it a couple hours. It will reboot multiple times. Don't bother it until you see the "Welcome to Windows" screen.

3).Running the discs will wipe all data from the hard drive, install the restore partition from the discs, reboot and install windows from the restore partition. It should do this unattended.

Registered Linux User #160145

FYI: I am not employed by Lenovo
Ctrl-Alt-Del
jlee45

Thank you carbon_unit

In the end I ordered xp recovery media with the other machine so did not actually experience using 1 set of recovery discs on 2 machines.

But i downgraded to xp from vista using the rescue media and the whole process was super smooth.  Very happy that lenovo offers these recovery discs because after using vista for a couple days was very annoyed at how slow it was and at how much system resources it used when no applications were running.