Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
Jaana
Accepted Solution

100Gb Drive, but only 11% available space

I bought a Lenovo X-60 Tablet with 100Gb Hard Drive with 3Gb RAM, and noticed quite soon after i bought this machine that the hard drive was already quite full. 

Is it normal to have only 11% avail. space left on a system loaded with:

1. the default factory software (which would includeThinkVantage & Vista
  2. MS Office 2007
  3. JASC Paint Shop Pro
  4. one "backup & restore point"
  5. plus 7Gb of personal Docs and photo files?

** I have ZERO music or videos on my HD, and have examined all the folders & file sizes on my machine & the file sizes do not come anywhere near amounting to the amount of disk space shown to be occupied.

My dinasaur computer (running Windows XP) has much more junk loaded on it, and yet i still have about 40% space available on it!

Is VISTA *that* huge??  

andyP
Topics: 161
Kudos: 714
Solutions: 635

Re: 100Gb Drive, but only 11% available space

It's possible that Rescue and Recovery has been nibbling away at your free space. R&R has a standard factory setting so that it will back-up your system every wednesday around mid-day.
Go into start-programs-think vantage-rescue and recovery, click on show all back-ups and you will see when and how many back-ups have been made. If you wish to you can delete the back-ups from R&R. You can also cancel or change the scheduled back-ups if you wish to.
And no Vista is not that big :smileywink:

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Paper Tape
Jaana

Thank Andy,

I checked, but it appears i removed the settings for automatic future backups.  I also found the backup file, and it didn't look that big at all.

What about "Shadow Copies?"

Where can i find where Shadow Copies are located? 

Perhaps there's a whole duplicate copy of my drive there that is hogging up all my HD space?

Has anyone else had this issue of having so little HD space left on a 100Gb drive for unexplainable reasons?

Thanks again!

Aloha!

andyP
Topics: 161
Kudos: 714
Solutions: 635

OK, R&R is responsible for a part, another possibility as you state are shadow copies. See Ryengineer's post in TPF in this thread; he explains it clearly.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Paper Tape
Jaana

Thanks so much!  Will try this now!

Aloha,

Jaana

buddinggeek
Topics: 105
Kudos: 141
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 119

[ Edited ]
Disabling Volume Shadow Copy

Navigate to Control Panel > System and Maintenance > System and in the left pane, click "System Protection". Here you will se a list of hard drives with checkboxes by each, the checkbox indicates that System Restore is enabled for that volume. To turn it off, just uncheck the volume where you want it disabled and confirm you want to turn off System Protection. Turning it back on is just as easy as checking the box again.

only do this if you have rescue and recovery backing up your hdd or you have created rescue and recover cd's,you may disable system restore for this purpose but it is strongly not recommened

Message Edited by samavedam_vijay on 08-01-2008 12:44 AM

Cheers and regards,
• » νιנαソѕαяα∂нι ѕαмανє∂αм ™ « •
Think : T410,X220T,Thinkpad Yoga
Idea :3000H,Z500,U410,Yoga 11, Yoga tab 10,Horizon
●๋•کáŕádhí'ک díáŕý ツ

I am a volunteer here. I don't work for Lenovo
Paper Tape
Jaana

WOW!!!   This increased my disk space 2x!! 

Fantastic!  :smileyhappy:

And thank you for the tip re: Shadow Copy vs. Rescue Recovery (which i presume i should do ASAP!)

Aloha!