Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
ekkehart

Re: Air Bubble In LCD Screen X61 Tablet

Thanks a lot!

The bottom with my machine was sticky and messy too. The screws were extremely tight..

My bubbles are appearing on the upper right-hand side, in the range of 2-8 centimeters below the upper right corner.

The heat conjecture is nonsense. I had the laptop permanently opened. So the right-hand upper corner was quite cool.

It seems that my sealing has stopped the growth of the bubble.

Ekkehart

Fanfold Paper
rbgorbet

Interesting... can you tell us what sealant (make/brand/model) you used?

Thanks!

Rob.

Paper Tape
mrgreen

[ Edited ]

A "line" bubble has appeared on the bottom of my screen after playing The Longest Journey for a time in tablet mode (with the cpu at 65C). It looks like goo seeping in. Bubbles cannot be forced out.

Quite annoying as its an expensive and very good screen.

One of the panel buttons was stucked/glued (esc). This button is closest to where the bubbles form

Paper Tape
ekkehart

Bob,

the sealer I used is Soudal Fix All Crystal, SMX Polymer Technology.

As to the screen: IT is just faulty and inadequately engineered. As far as I know, the firm supplying these LCD's went out of business. Yet Lenovo seems unwilling to replace the faulty screens.(Toyota was better at that.)

I have been quite a fan of the ThinkPads in the past - used an X60, an X31, and and X41 (all by IBM) before the X61T. The X41  has been used much longer than the EX. and is still in better shape. My conclusion is that I shall not recommend Leno anymore, id they are unwilling to mend the faulty screen.

Ekkehart

Paper Tape
mrgreen

[ Edited ]

I ripped off the bezel of my machine. The machine wasn't dirty, perse. However I did find some dried glue in strips, holding the bezel down - part of which was melted into blobs like what I have on the screen. 

I couldn't think or find a way to remove the bubbles, eveen one that is right on the edge.

The screws were rediculously tight, to the point where my hands have swollen from the screw drivers grip.

I will look at replacing the screen. Is the 101 or 100 of the boehydis model better? Do they both fit the x61t?

Also, if the lenovo rep is still watching, where can I get a replacement bezel (my bezel was cracked when i bought it off a friend)

Paper Tape
mrgreen

Here's relevant images. Screen is otherwise flawless.

Images 

Fanfold Paper
rbgorbet

Thanks Ekkehart,

Interestingly, I had been anticipating having to replace my 4 year old X61T, which is my fourth Lenovo and 2nd Lenovo tablet.  Like you, I love Lenovo...I think I'm the only one of my friends who can use the trackpoint and prefers it over a mouse.  :-)

But I got an iPad2 when my X61T was still functional, to see if I could wrangle the machine into doing things on the productivity side that I needed, while being a more bulletproof and fun platform.  It's not quite there, but I believe it will be.  In the mean time (i.e., in the past several weeks) the bubble thing started, the fan on my Lenovo died, and now the battery is dead.  Perhaps it is jealous, but I'm seriously thinking about a Mac Air as a replacement for it, and I was a die-hard Windows/PC guy until I got my iPad.

All the best,

Rob.

Fanfold Paper
koray

mrgreen wrote:

Here's relevant images. Screen is otherwise flawless.

Images 

This is exactly how mine looked like when the field engineer removed the bezel. It seemed impossible to squeeze them out or do something else. A very strong bonding material, but soft and runny. I can't think of an other solution then a complete replacement. If your machine is out of warranty, you can find replacement bezels at ebay for about £20-30. Cheers, Koray

Fanfold Paper
koray

rbgorbet wrote:

Thanks Ekkehart,

Interestingly, I had been anticipating having to replace my 4 year old X61T, which is my fourth Lenovo and 2nd Lenovo tablet.  Like you, I love Lenovo...I think I'm the only one of my friends who can use the trackpoint and prefers it over a mouse.  :-)

But I got an iPad2 when my X61T was still functional, to see if I could wrangle the machine into doing things on the productivity side that I needed, while being a more bulletproof and fun platform.  It's not quite there, but I believe it will be.  In the mean time (i.e., in the past several weeks) the bubble thing started, the fan on my Lenovo died, and now the battery is dead.  Perhaps it is jealous, but I'm seriously thinking about a Mac Air as a replacement for it, and I was a die-hard Windows/PC guy until I got my iPad.

All the best,

Rob.

We are in the same boat, Rob, but my X61T is repaired and fully functional for the time being. Funny, I also seriously considered MacBook Air in case my machine couldn't be repaired, but the missing trackpoint is a definite deal breaker! I can't live without it!

K.

Paper Tape
mrgreen

Regarding the potential temp problem, what temperatures do you guys idle at? And what does it get to under load?

I've undervolted mine, and it idles at 49C. Gets up to about 69 under load. Have you all used the screen rotated and flat at some point?

Has anyone located the heatsync? I've openned the laptop, and cleaned the fan. But I can't locate anything that looks like a heat sync. Will I have to flip the pcb?