Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
KZeagle

Bluetooth with Enhanced Data Rate Software II for Windows 7 6.2.1.1400 rollback wiped my drive

[ Edited ]

Just as an FYI to anyone who is considering installing it:

I had tried to install the package (7zbv15ww.exe) on my machine earlier today.

At alater stage of the installation (after turning on bluetooth) the installer gave me an error which I (unfortunately) ignored and clicked OK on.  The installer then started to rollback the changes and I went back to reading a PDF.

I thought that the installer was taking an unusually long time but let it run anyway.  At some point in the next five minutes I tried opening a file from the start menu and the file could not be found.  I opened my file manager (Total Commander) and saw that my document directory was empty.  Moving to the root of the drive I saw that many of the directories that existed previous were missing.  Refreshing the display a few times I saw that my harddrive space was being freed at a fairly large rate with ~50GB freed by the time I had noticed.  This included files from Program Files and most of the WIndows directory was missing as well except for what I presume to be locked files.

At any rate -- I'm lucky that I do nightly backups of my important data -- the machine obviously is unable to boot and I'm reimaging the system as I'm writing this.

I'm sure that this could potentially be related to something else, although I've never had any problems like this before as I'm a fairly IT savy person.  So this is just an FYI to both anyone on this forum to consider either not installing the software or to be very cautious if there is a problem installing it and Mark Lenovo if he wants to pass this post onto someone who can investigate this issue.

Community SuperMod
bananaman

Re: Bluetooth with Enhanced Data Rate Software II for Windows 7 6.2.1.1400 rollback wiped my drive

[ Edited ]

Hi KZeagle!

Yoiks! That's scary. What type of system do you have (Machine type/model?), and which OS are you running?

That update installed OK for me a couple of weeks ago on my X61 7675-CTO, Windows 7 Ultimate, no installation errors so I didn't have to roll back.

Yay for backups!

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Punch Card
KZeagle

Re: Bluetooth with Enhanced Data Rate Software II for Windows 7 6.2.1.1400 rollback wiped my drive

It was definitely unnerving as I'm in the final few weeks before an exam covering the last few months of my studies -- I havn't had any real problems software wise with this machine before this, thankfully.  Given that it deleted from both my partitions I am glad that the external drive I use for backups was diconnected at the time.

The laptop is an X200 tablet 7449-88U running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, using a preload for a 7448-CTO machine where the activation key has been swapped.  I have reimaged the machine and patched it to the latest version of everything that I use (including the above patch) and this time it installed fine without throwing any errors requiring rollback of the changes.  This time I uninstalled the old version prior to installing the new one.

This may have been a freak event given some random state of my machine at the time or it may be linked to the way the installer handles rollbacks -- if it is the latter it should hopefully be fixed and the update rereleased.

Fanfold Paper
hotze73

I experienced exactly the same on my x200t 7449! It gave me a crazy time this moring and thanks to the backup I am in a good condition. I thought it might be a virus or something, but for sure it is related to the BT rollback.

Henning

Fanfold Paper
nicoulas

I just had the same issue on my T500 (2082-BSG) and I've just lost almost all my data (I didn't made backups for a while). My HDD is now empty (I just have Windows left).

Tomorrow I'll try to "undelete" some files but this is REALLY a big problem !

Had this huge issue been reported to Lenovo ? (and btw is there any "miracle" to recover my data ? I guess no but let's hope ...)

Community SuperMod
bananaman

Bonjour nicoulas!

Can you give us as much information as possible about exactly what happened?

If your data is valuable, the best thing you can do is stop using the hard drive, and consult a professional recovery company.

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Fanfold Paper
nicoulas

Thank you for your answer.

Here is what happened :

I downloaded the Bluetooth package from the Lenovo website here : http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-70042 then I started the installation. It took a while and the HDD was very busy during the installation (the setup was hanging on "uninstalling drivers" I think, or somethink like that, it hadn't begun to install the drivers), then a message showed up saying that the Data1.cab file couldn't be found. I went to the C:\Drivers\Win\Bt... directory where thepackage was extracted, and the Data1.cab file was missing (but I had seen it during the extraction before), so I thought that I should extract the package again. I went to my Download directory, and I only fond the bluetooth package, whereas I had tons of files before. I was a bit frightened, so I opened the C:\ driveand found that almost all the space was free, whereas it was almost full just a few minutes before ...

After that, I took the HDD out of my Thinkpad and put it with an USB adapter on my R50p. I downloaded Recuva (a tool to recover files) and it detected almost (all?) my files. I think that luckily, I will be able to recover nearly all my data. I'll post again to say whether it worked well or not.

But, as you said, the thing to do was to shut down the computer and above all, not write on the HDD (it could damage the deleted files)

Retired Guru
outouser

[ Edited ]

nicoulas wrote:

I just had the same issue on my T500 (2082-BSG) and I've just lost almost all my data (I didn't made backups for a while). My HDD is now empty (I just have Windows left).

Tomorrow I'll try to "undelete" some files but this is REALLY a big problem !

Had this huge issue been reported to Lenovo ? (and btw is there any "miracle" to recover my data ? I guess no but let's hope ...)

Here is one suggestion that you can do to save your data

1. Connect harddrive to other pc using adapter. I suggest to use USB adapter example this one http://www.raidsonic.de/en/products/external-cases.php?we_objectID=6999

2. Install recuva to that other pcs harddrive http://www.piriform.com/recuva

3. Run recuva and scan for deleted files.

4. Restore files. Do not try to restore same drive that your missing data is located! That will overwrite files and then its impossible to restore.

so you will need

- another pc with windows xp, vista, or 7 installed

- Install recuva to that other pc.

Fanfold Paper
nicoulas

Yes, this exactly what I did like I said in my previous post, but thank you for your help anyway :smileyhappy:

Ctrl-Alt-Del
cebula

This happened to me twice...unfortunately the first time I did not attribute the problem to this update.  Thinking back now, I realize I installed this update when it happened last...I just thought another program caused the problem.  Luckily, I"ve recovered my files, but shouldn't something be done...i.e. remove this update or put a HUGE warning saying "Warning: this update may wipe your drive"!!!!

I have a Lenovo T61 model 7662 running Windows 7 64-bit.

Thanks for posting about this too...I was hoping I had found the cause of the problem.  Easily found your post through a quick google search.