Support in other languages: 
Guru
Audois

Re: Does anyone have x220t pen working properly on edges?

wacompen.sys is from 14th of July, 2009.

wacompensys.png

X220t | i7 | 320GB HDD | 8GB RAM | WIN7 PRO
IdeaCenter A520 | i5 | 1 TB HDD | 6GB RAM | WIN8.1
802.11n
kvirtanen

[ Edited ]

I'll return to the topic of hardware revisions: the following page from Lenovo.com states:

"The following ThinkPad systems that manufactured before December 1, 2011 maybe affected by this symptom:

• X220 Tablet, X220i Tablet (Machine Type: 4294, 4296, 4297, 4298, 4299, 4300, and 4301)"

Source: http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/research/hints-or-tips/detail.page?DocID=HT062847

Note the part about December 1, 2011. Now, I know people who've bought an X220T after that date still report problems. Even mine is not perfect even though this unit was reported "being in manufacturing process" around the second week of January, 2012. My model is 4299-4TG, which is quoted above.

What I gather from this formal note from Lenovo is, that there must have been a change in the construction and/or manufacturing process of the X220T (the models quoted above) after December 1. The digitizer or its firmware might not have been changed, as Juliancho told above (msg. #599) having had the P0002 version with pen drift issues, but maybe the screen panel hardware has.

I wonder how it has been changed after Dec 1 2011, and what is there to do for people who bought the system before the aforementioned date?

http://wirtanen.tk/ -- web portfolio & cv
Guru
Audois

@kvirtanen

I'm not sure if you intended to answer my two previous posts, but you are talking about a firmware that everybody has already downloaded and installed, with success or not. What I'm talking about is the Wacom kernel driver. In the absence of a Wacom driver installed by yourself, your pen is obviously controled by the Wacom built-in driver, otherwise it wouldn't even work. So the question is: what is its exact role, and does it need an update?

Fanfold Paper
Juliancho

Just to clarify, my laptop was bought before December, so I dont know the FW version for newer laptops.

I haven't had time to test these procedures yet. But soon.

802.11n
kvirtanen

[ Edited ]

@Audois: I think the problem with this gigantic thread is that people tend to stray away from the subject, at least I do that.

We sort of have two topics going on: your driver topic and my hardware topic, both of which are related to this thread, but probably make it difficult to follow :smileyhappy: What I'm trying to put into words here -- and I wasn't replying to your posts -- is:

-- if Lenovo says units manufactured before Dec 1, 2011 are affected by this issue, units made after that should be fine

-- but they're not, and certainly the firmware of the digitizer has not been updated on later models

-- which would suggest that only the hardware around the digitizer, this means excluding the digitizer itself, has been changed

-- what is the physical reason behind the poor perfomance of the tablet near the speakers, if it had to be addressed with a hardware change?

I'm beginning to feel that we're nearing the end of this thread. To sum up what I've learned:

1. X220T has a defect in its digitizer/screen which makes the pen performance poor near the sides and corners
  2. Lenovo eventually started to investigate this problem
  3. Lenovo says that certain models manufactured before Dec 1, 2011 might be affected by this
  4. Eventually, Lenovo issued a firmware update to fix this issue
  5. This firmware fix didn't seem to help the majority of people having problems
  6. Lenovo has remained silent ever since (legal reasons? marketing reasons? denial?) (Admins, feel free to remove the part in parentheses if you find it against the rules)
  7. We can deduce from Lenovo's words that units manufactured after Dec 1, 2011 should not exhibit the drifting issue
  8. The units still do exhibit drifting, but maybe to a lesser degree
  9. The affected units have the same firmware than the units manufactured before Dec 1, 2011
  10. Thus, this problem is purely related to hardware -- nothing else changed after Dec 1, 2011
  11. It's "safe" to say Lenovo will not be able to fix this, other than by changing the underlying hardware in future manufacturing patches
  12. Therefore, current customers are out of luck
  13. People who have good advice regarding alleviating this issue should definitely start a new thread on the subject so that people can find that information more easily (Audois? You seem to have ideas. Why not make a tutorial?)

Who agrees with me? And, Lenovo, please comment on my findings above.

Guru
Audois

It seems that no one from Lenovo read this thread.

I could make a tutorial about what exactly?

802.11n
kvirtanen

[ Edited ]

@Audois: About your driver adventures :smileyhappy: How to throroughly clean the laptop from Wacom/Lenovo drivers and systematically install a good, working set of drivers on a clean slate. The aim being, to make the digitizer behave as well as it can in this situation.

Guru
Audois

kvirtanen wrote:

How to throroughly clean the laptop from Wacom/Lenovo drivers

It's quite simple: don't install them! :smileyvery-happy:

802.11n
kvirtanen

@Audois: Well, many people have unfortunately gone past that stage, sooo.... :smileyhappy: You seem to have researched ways to completely purge the system from needless drivers. Those instructions are hidden in this thread somewhere, and it would be nice to have an easy-to-follow tutorial.

SCSI Port
Azfargh

Yeah, AUDOIS!

GO GO GO!