Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Guru
Audois

Re: Does anyone have x220t pen working properly on edges?

kvirtanen wrote:

@Audois: Well, many people have unfortunately gone past that stage, sooo.... :smileyhappy: You seem to have researched ways to completely purge the system from needless drivers. Those instructions are hidden in this thread somewhere, and it would be nice to have an easy-to-follow tutorial.

That's not exactly what happened. I realized that something was going wrong when I saw that more than 100 processes (105 as I recall) were running in the background. My desktop PC shows only 45 processes. That’s why I decided to proceed to a clean install of Windows 7.

Once I had completed the installation, I launched Thinkvantage System Update. But unlike some people here, who blindly select every checkbox, I went carefully through each item, asking to myself if I really needed it. Take for example the power management. Windows offers already this functionality. It’s not as sophisticated as what Lenovo designed for its products, but it’s quite enough for everyday use. So I said NO, I don’t need the Lenovo power management, I’m satisfied with the Windows built-in functionality. Finally, I ended up with 65 processes and a fully functional, and faster, computer.

Don’t misunderstand me, I’m not saying that you don’t need any Lenovo driver, but their selection depends on your own needs. You really need some of them, like the Ultranav driver, Thinkvantage Active Protection System (airbag), Auto Scroll Utility, Microphone Mute Control Service, SmartAudio Service, and a few others.

This process may require time, because you must have a clear knowledge of the Windows functionalities in order to avoid their duplication (and, at the same time, the duplication of the background services/processes).

As for the Wacom driver, you definitely don’t need it. 

X220t | i7 | 320GB HDD | 8GB RAM | WIN7 PRO
IdeaCenter A520 | i5 | 1 TB HDD | 6GB RAM | WIN8.1
Guru
Audois

Something I should also say: take for example the Ultranav Utility. I never installed it. Why? Because I have never been able to understand what it is used for. My trackpoint works perfectly, so why should I install this utility? No need at all -> don't install.

And the Intel GT1/GT2 display driver. What's that? No idea -> don't install.

And ThinkVantage Access Connections. I just have to press Windows+X, so no need -> don't install.

and Lenovo Screen Reading Optimizer. Do I need it? Not sure -> don't install.

And so on.

802.11n
kvirtanen

@Audois: Good, good : ) Now's the time to put all that in a separate thread before this one continues on and on and on and on... until what you just said is lost again ;-)

http://vanhavirta.fi/
Guru
Audois

Yes, but what I'm afraid about is my English. The only thing I could do is to write a tutorial in French and have it translated by someone ... I don't yet know. :smileyhappy:

802.11n
kvirtanen

[ Edited ]

@Audois: Firstly, only a few of us are native English-speaking, secondly, your English is perfecly fine, thirdly, I'll gladly proof-read it for you if you PM it to me.

EDIT: No pressure, BTW :smileyvery-happy:

Guru
Audois

Ok, I start writing something in French, I'll try my best to translate it, and i'll PM it to you when I'm finished. It may take a few days.

802.11n
kvirtanen

[ Edited ]

Great! And, as I said, take your time, no pressure. I just feel it's better to try and do something about this, sum this thread up into something meaningful. It's been going on for so long, and without Lenovo's further help, we're just rambling here. Let's think of it as a team effort for making the best of out of the situation with the X220T digitizer.

Guru
Audois

I published the tutorial there

Fanfold Paper
fungui

[ Edited ]

How has this not been addressed yet?  Has anyone had success in calling lenovo about the digitizer issue?

802.11n
kvirtanen

[ Edited ]

@fungui: This issue has not been addressed yet and probably never will be. The problem is in the hardware. My tests seem to point towards misalignment of the digitizer on the bottom of the screen. That, or the digitizer has some serious RF reception problems at the bottom. Some people think the cause might be the proximity of the speakers.

We don't know, and Lenovo will never tell us, because it would mean admitting the fault and possible being liable for it.

This was proved in post #606 (http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-Tablet-ThinkPad-Laptops/Does-anyone-have-x220t-pen-working-prop...) by holding the pen perpendicular to the screen -- the cursor stays precisely under the pen. If you tilt the pen, the cursor reaches the sides -- especially the bottom -- way before the pen does.

I experience the same and I decided to update my firmware even I was a bit hesitant to do it. No change whatsoever. The digitizer is a mess. (I've had time to get to know this beast after my positive first impressions) Repairing the problem would require a massive update to the existing drivers because they cannot handle such a big deviation in accuracy.

Lenovo would have to make a total recall of the majority of X220Ts to fix this problem, and I don't believe they can afford it. I can see two possible scenarios happening:

1. Lenovo finds a way to overcome the problem and manufacture new X220Ts without it-- you need to sell your old X220T and buy a new one
  2. They keep on manufacturing the X220T with the defect, because people still buy the defective X220T