Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
bob12345
Accepted Solution

Ericsson F5521gw WWAN disconnects intermittently and cannot reconnect

I have a X220 Tablet with the Ericsson F5521gw WWAN option. It seems to connect just fine, however after 30 mins - 3 hrs, it always disconnects from the mobile network. A red cross appears in Access Connections, and the Windows 7 network icon shows that it is "connected" but there is "no internet access". It is impossible to reconnect using either Access Connections or the Windows tool. If I try, it gives me an error about not being able to find the network. If I try Fn + F5, I sometimes can turn the WWAN off but not back on, and sometimes I cannot even turn it off. None of this helps me reconnect. The only way to be able to reconnect is to shutdown + turn back on / restart / sleep + wake.

One interesting thing I've noticed is that the mobile network makes a difference. Using the "3" network (which I'm on a contract for), it disconnects after 30mins - 3 hrs. However, if I swap the SIM card to a Telstra network prepay card, it can hold the connection much more reliably. I've only noticed that it dropped the connection once after about 3 hrs. On subsequent testing, leaving the computer on overnight etc, it seems to stay connected to Telstra.

I've tried the following trouble shooting steps without any success:

- I verified the correct orientation of the SIM card on these forums

- I've uninstalled access connections / used earlier versions of the Ericsson driver

- I've reimaged the computer using the Lenovo factory install DVDs

- I've asked "3" for a new SIM card to transfer my account to in case the SIM card was damaged (with the same result)

Nothing's worked so far. I miss my old USB stick modem which almost never disconnects, and even if it does, simply clicking "connect" does the trick.  Any ideas out there?

Retired Employee
Serge1410

Re: Ericsson F5521gw WWAN disconnects intermittently and cannot reconnect

hey bob12345,

have you tried uninstalling the Ericsson driver and letting windows install its own generic drivers? and have you updated the bios for your unit yet ?

since you did mention Telstra worked a tad better than 3's network, i'm a bit curious on how Optus / Virgin will work for you.

also, if you use your "3" simcard on a different laptop; does it maintain its connection ?

WW Social Media
Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
Have you checked out the Community Knowledgebase yet?!
How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.
Punch Card
mark23

Betreff: Ericsson F5521gw WWAN disconnects intermittently and cannot reconnect

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I do have exactly the same problem with the Ericsson F5521gw (HP hs2340 HSPA+)! However, I do not have a  Lenovo Notebook but an HP Elitebook 8560p with Windows 7 Professional 64bit and I am on a 2G/3G WWAN network in Germany (Band I, frequency 2,100 MHz, operator is O2/fonic).  I've also followed exactly the same approach (clean re-install, factory OS, all updates, fixes both from MS and HP, etc.).

HP even replaced the WWAN card with a new one, so I think I can rule out a hardware defect.

Now that I read about this problem on a Lenovo forum, I think it might be driver related (Ericsson), but Ericsson told me to contact my notebook manufacturer's support - HP unfortunately does not have a solution to this problem.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

mark23 

Paper Tape
bob12345

Thanks for the suggestions Serge1410,

- I've uninstalled the Ericsson drivers, but they come back automatically on restart. How do I get the Windows generic drivers to load instead?

- I have installed all of the Lenovo updates including the latest BIOS

- sorry I don't have any other network SIM cards to try

- I've used these SIM cards with the USB modems on this laptop and others without any problems

Hi Mark23,

That's interesting that this happens on HP too. Yes, maybe an Ericsson driver problem?

Any other ideas anyone?

Paper Tape
bob12345

BTW Serge1410, I have uninstalled the Ericsson drivers on Device Manager and also deleted the drivers from the driver store according to this method (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc730875.aspx). On restart, the computer still detects the Ericsson F5521gw module, except says no driver installed. If I try to automatically detect the drivers online, it just says no drivers found. How do I get generic drivers to load?

Punch Card
mark23

bob12345, the quick and dirty workaround that seems to work for me is a DOS-box and using "ping www.google.com -t" to generate some sort of keepalive traffic. Now that's ugly but it works - so far.

Cheers,

mark23 

Punch Card
mark23

OK, is there a new driver available anywhere? I still use that keepalive traffic trick ...

Cheers, mark23

Paper Tape
paultgw

I've posted this on another thread too.

I had this problem (losing connection, difficultly in restablishing connection, need to disable, switch module off, sometimes to switch computer off) for 3 months.

Crossing my fingers, it seems to be gone in the last week. Two things changed:

1. Access Connection 5.85 came out - this seemed to reduce, but not eliminate the problem.

2. Downloaded a firmware update for the F5521gw - found via Googling here: http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/83wr05ww.exe

I suspect the second of these fixed it (to find out I could disable Access Connections, but I am too relieved everything is now working to risk fiddling).

The final point is that I had unchecked the "Disconnect from the network when switching to a different location" and "Turn Broadband Radio off when disconnected" within Access Connections and the "Allow the compter to turn off this device to save power" within Device manager. Again, I am too relieved that everything seems to be working to fiddle with these.

Hope this works for everyone (and continues working for me).

Paper Tape
bob12345

You're a legend!!! Thanks, that F5521GW firmware upgrade fixed it for me.

What's DOS?
counterroot

Hello,

my WWAN Card has been delivered with the latest firmware by lenovo itself, so this was NOT the solution.

I had to install the

Lenovo Access Connections 5.85 - http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?&LegacyDocID=MIGR-73682

in combination with the latest

Mobile Broadband Drivers 6.5.1.5 - http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS027676

# Running fine on Windows 8 Customer Preview

Greetings, Matthias