Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
802.11n
kvirtanen

Express card suggestions?

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Since the PCMCIA slot of my X201t is not being used at all, I was wondering: what do other people use it for? What, nowadays, is the most useful application for that slot in your opinion? I'm most interested in permanent solutions, i.e., cards that do not stick out of the slot. SSDs, mice?

I'd be very interested in hearing your opinions.

-- Kimmo

http://vanhavirta.fi/
Punch Card
NeuroKnight

Re: PCMCIA card suggestions?

I like the Mogo presenter/mouse with laser pointer.

amazon.com/HP-Bluetooth-Presenter

802.11n
kvirtanen

Looks really handy, and strange too - thanks for the tip! :smileyhappy: I assume it's still comfortable to use? I remember seeing PCMCIA mice before but they were made to accommodate the bigger (double the size of X201t's) PCMCIA slot. Does that one fit in without a hitch?

Punch Card
NeuroKnight

For around $10 I’d have to say it works great but then I don’t use it too much.

The mouse sticks out of the PCMCIA slot about 3mm (just enough to see the light if it's charging).

The mouse is very thin but workable; I like the unit more for its presenter mode and laser pointer than the mouse.

Is anyone else using there slot... anyone... anyone?

Community SuperMod
bananaman

Hi All!

You all know this anyway, but for clarity I note that the X201 Tablet has an ExpressCard/54 slot, not one of the older PCMCIA slots.

That cute little mouse takes advantage of the "L" shape of the ExpressCard/54 slot to squeeze itself in.

What I do with unused ExpressCard or PCMCIA slots is put a blank in to stop the keyboard bezel from bending and cracking due to the empty space. 

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
802.11n
kvirtanen

[ Edited ]

Hey bananaman,

thanks for the clarification! I always keep mixing the different types. I updated the topic title accordingly. On a sidenote, here's a picture of all the different add-on cards:

I actually found a really nice 2xUSB 3.0 54mm express card on *bay. There are also eSata adapters, but the way I understand it, eSata devices need an external power source to run properly. USB 3.0 is also backwards compatible with 2.0, and 2 extra USB ports is a nice thing to have.

802.11n
kvirtanen

Also, if you don't have better use for the card slot, I'd recommend buying for example a CF card reader adapter, a sufficiently spacious card (I have 16GB) and a nice Time-Machine-like backup software and use the card as a permanent backup drive.

I've been using the SD card slot for that purpose so far, but if somebody has better use for it and an unused express card slot, well...

nibs
Topics: 43
Kudos: 144
Solutions: 39

The express card by itself does not supply enough power to run a single USB 3.0 port, let alone two of them. If you want to connect up at least one USB device, then you will need an express card that gives you a USB to power cable that plugs into the expresscard so the card can supply enough power to the device.

You also probably will see maximum speeds of 185 MB/sec on any USB 3.0 card with the NEC controller. I don't know if the Fresco Logic controller runs any faster. 

------------------------------------------
When asking for help, post your question in the forum. Remember to include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help others with the same question in the future.

My TPs: Twist 2HU: i5-3317U Win 8 Pro, 4GB RAM 250GB Samsung 840 | T420 4177CTO: i5-2520M, HD+, Win 7 Pro x64, 8GB RAM, Optimus, 160GB Intel 320 SSD, Intel 6300 WiFi, BT 3.0 | T400 2764CTO: P8700, WXGA, Win 7 Ult x64, AMD 3470, 8GB RAM, 64GB Samsung SSD, BT, Intel 5300 WiFi | A20m 14.1" PIII 500 (retired). Monitors: 2x Dell U2211h IPS 100% sRGB calibrated w/ Spyder3.
802.11n
kvirtanen

[ Edited ]

Good point about the USB cards' power requirements, nibs. That sure makes them a bit less desirable for me I have to say..

Does anybody know if there are card readers that stay flush to the computer (don't stick out) even if there is a card inside? The CF card readers don't seem to be able to accommodate the large size of the card. But what about SD cards, or are there dedicated MICRO SD card readers? EDIT: Some 5-in-1 card readers seem to be able to read Micro SD cards, but they have to be inserted inside an adapter which, in turn, sticks out of the reader.

Also, I researched the ExpressCard SSDs as a backup solution (they're a bit slow compared to HDDs), but I read a few bad reviews of them in Amazon. People reported their SSDs failing after a few months, even rendering a 64GB to display as a 4GB RAW filesystem drive. Some had been forced to format the drives every once in a while due to sudden read/write errors that prevented them from using the drive.

Are they really that bad?

EDIT: Apparently not, Lexar seems to have positive reviews of their ExpressCard SSDs for example.

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,254
Solutions: 1,343

Re: Express card suggestions?

[ Edited ]

I use an eGPU in my X201t when i had it. Very handy if you want to run multiple external monitors and play some new games on the laptop. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft