Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 411
Kudos: 1,337
Solutions: 288

First ThinkPad tablet was almost 20 years ago - check it out!

Wow - this really takes me back to when I started with the company.   Howard Dulany does a great job sharing a bit of history on the first ThinkPad tablet.

• Made of Magnesium
  • Used solid state storage
  • Was a slate format

Surprised?   Talk about technology ahead of it's time....!

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
ajkula66
Kudos: 757
Solutions: 800

Re: First ThinkPad tablet was almost 20 years ago - check it out!

A facinating piece of technology, as were many subsequent ThinkPads...

What is even more fascinating in certain respects that one can still find these in working condition every now and again...

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
community supermod
erik

just about every early ThinkPad model was years ahead of its time.   the notebook market may not have been the same without IBM's innovations.

i played with a 730T way back in the day but didn't find it all that useful at the time.   today my opinion would be the complete opposite.   there's no way i could do my job as well without a tablet interface.

ThinkStation C20Microsoft MVP
ThinkPad X1C · X220 · X60T · s30

Token Ring
draco2527

[ Edited ]

erik wrote:

just about every early ThinkPad model was years ahead of its time.   the notebook market may not have been the same without IBM's innovations.

i played with a 730T way back in the day but didn't find it all that useful at the time.   today my opinion would be the complete opposite.   there's no way i could do my job as well without a tablet interface.

I think the hardware AND software needed to mature...the software (IMHO) seemed to conform to the capabilities of the hardware.

Today the hardware capabilities (processor speeds, amount of memory available, HDD sizes) have matured to the point were software capabilites have exploded. NOW we have a perfect blend of hardware being able to keep up with the high demands of software...
My first "slate" was an Apple Newton (yes...I will admit I have owned an apple product), and considering all the bad press it got, it worked well for me...however it was one expensive piece of equipment!
In short:
Software was limited to hardware capabilities.
Currently own: X220T, X201, X200, T61 X2, X61T X3

Punch Card
milstein

I'm thinking of the concept Microsoft Courier...

Amen...

GMAC-R60
Kudos: 161
Solutions: 96

no not Surprised I remember the tv ads and I still have everyone of my thinkpads and they are all still working I can't write worth a **bleep** so I couldn't see buying a tablet

Did a member help you today? Thank them with a Kudo!

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Regards,
GMAC
Token Ring
orion9727

hmm i think back then hardware and software ran neck and neck.
today hardware is really light years ahead of software.
the main reason is the old x86 way of thinking.
the new tablets based on mobile platform well there much different.
the code today is kinda like a onion.
layers on layers that is really 286 with 386 piled on x64 that really mixed mess.
i think the new tablets built around the phone chips change that and that what we really need in the pc world of today.
a complete break from the past.
windows needs to break free of the old code and embrace a new era.
back them cpu speed would double every 18 months and moores law made for very fast changes in pc.
today cpu makers have hit a brick wall with cpu speed and in some ways that is good and some ways bad.
cpu speed would give a huge boost to software before but today the software must make use of new instructions.
IBM made alot of really nice products that came and went rather fast and some great laptops that were far ahead of it time.
the world of today is more about media i think but when you really think of it that was what made windows and OS2 .