Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
JARRARD

HARDWARE MELTDOWN?!!

[ Edited ]

I was just watching videos on youtube and suddenly my tablet just shuts off. I tried just taking off and then re inserting the battery but it wouldnt work. I noticed a small orange light under the "W" key. There's a strong smell coming from the laptop and its giving me a headache. I hope I'm not inhaling something bad... I got the computer working by placing it upside down under the air conditioner because it felt really hot on the tablet's bottom. It's been like 10 minutes since it cooled up and it STILL has a strong smell coming out of it. Some questions:

What happened?

Is this aroma harmful too me?

If it is am I liable to sue? It's really hard to breathe. (I dont want to sue because I love Lenovo)

TO BE MORE SPECIFIC: THE STENCH IS COMING FROM THE TOP LEFT SIDE WHERE THE BARRED OPENING IS. (By side I mean the "walls" of the tablet where you find the plugs like the internet phone plugin)

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,235
Solutions: 1,324

Re: HARDWARE MELTDOWN?!!

1) Your laptop most likely short-circuited, the smell is probably coming from the components that shorted.

2) Toxicity depends on dosage and time of exposure. If you only inhale it constantly or for prolonged period, then it is probably not good for your body. 

3) Don't use your laptop now, you should seek warranty on the laptop, if you still have that. 

Also have you ever spilled liquid on your laptop?

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Paper Tape
JARRARD

I think I've been inhaling it for 15-20 minutes now. There have been moments periodically where a strong does of the smell comes out and it almost makes me gag so I have to move my head away from the tablet. I've angled the tablet away from my nose/face.

The smell is still there but it isn't as strong as it used to be when it shut down. Or maybe because I'm using it right under the air conditioner (which has been on HIGH) and so it's blowing around the room.

As for liquid it is VERY rare that I spill any on the tablet. I remember maybe 1 pr 2 years ago I spilled some coke on the keyboard part of the tablet but even then it wasn't much coke that got on. This was AGES ago btw.

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,235
Solutions: 1,324

[ Edited ]

usually, short circuit caused by minor liquid spill does not occur immediately, they usually come about a lot later depending on the liquid property (i.e electrolyte content and pH), ambient temperature, the current flow in the circuit affected by the liquid. 

Anyhow, you should stop using your laptop and seek warranty service on it ASAP (provided that you still have warranty left). 

If you felt that the smell/odour is too strong, then you should go out and have a breathe of fresh air, and open the door and windows to left the odour out. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft