Support in other languages: 
Blue Screen Again
Kitsunedon
Accepted Solution

HELP - X61t loose bezel (bezel separation) & broken latch problem

[ Edited ]

Hello guys,

Wondering if you can help me with the following issues.. This is regarding x61t (7764CTO) unit.

1) Bezel

I purchased my x61t around end of July 2008. Upon receiving the unit I immediately noticed that the bezel was separating (but wasn't sure if I was one of many affected ppl until I did a bit of research & compared my unit to few other identical x61ts...). Basically, the bottom of the plastic hinge, when in portrait mode, separates and when I press down on it, it stays in contact with the LCD panel for few seconds and pops back up. This is covered by warranty, am I correct? What is the usual turnaround time?

Im a bit surprised as this issue was raised during early this year...don't units that shipped later(including mine?) use the newer bezels?

2) latch

my double-sided latch has come off completely yesterday when I was changing from portrait to normal mode. From what I see on this forum so far Im under impression that latch breaking off is considered customer abuse regardless of the cause. How much does lenovo charge for such in this case? Or is this covered?

Much thanks in advance,

-Brian-

Message Edited by Kitsunedon on 11-19-2008 06:07 PM
Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 411
Kudos: 1,323
Solutions: 285

Re: HELP - X61t loose bezel (bezel separation) & broken latch problem

Brian,

Welcome to the forum!

Does your tablet have the SXGA+ screen or the multi-touch?  The updates to the bezel were exclusive to those models with SXGA+ units and were found to dramatically reduce the occurance of separation.   Some rare occurances are still possible on both models, and in my opinion are likely caused by a combination of assembly process, and the possibility of some tolerance in the bezel parts - notably where the adhesive is applied. (if the lower adhesive strip is set too low, less than 1/2 of it's surface area makes contact, dramatically reducing holding power)

This should be a warranted item.

The latch would need to be addressed based upon inspection of the assembly, and whether there are signs of impact, etc to the case that would indicate the unit had suffered some form of impact.

Service will need to make the call on that as to whether warranty or non - warranty in nature.  I might suggest consulting with a warranty authorized business partner, as while the bezel is removed, it would be a good time to replace the latch.  Replacing the latch requires the bezel to be removed, and a service provider should replace rather than re-use the bezel once removed.

Hope that helps!

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Blue Screen Again
Kitsunedon

Mine is the one with SXGA+ as well (as I don't like the low res); guess I should send this in..:smileyindifferent:

Im not too sure on what might have caused the latch to break off...(crosses finger nonetheless)

Thanks Mark,

-Brian-

Fanfold Paper
Yakumo

[ Edited ]

This has just happened to me today too with the SXGA+ unit. Slowly and gently closing the lid, there was a tiny pop noise and the hinge has  gone totally limp. machines in perfect condition, I've treated it like a .5 micron thin glass doll as I've been so worried about the bezel problems reported & it's so expensive. Always closed with both hands very slowly. Never been dropped, straight into a zeroshock case when not in use.

1 year into  3 year international warranty.

Opened a support request on http://www.ibm.com/uk/ waiting to see what happens & what the options are, I'm in the middle of degree coursework I can't  lose this machine for even a day at the moment :smileysad:

If it has to be sent somewhere i'd like to keep hold of the hard drive.

Message Edited by Yakumo on 12-08-2008 09:42 PM
erik

Yakumo wrote:

If it has to be sent somewhere i'd like to keep hold of the hard drive.

since your problem isn't related to the hard drive, you are allowed to remove it.

this is the least untruthful answer i can give.Microsoft MVP

Blue Screen Again
Kitsunedon

[ Edited ]

Hello again,

I am writing this message with a little bit of follow-up..

So as I just finished my term I decided to give Lenovo a call to arrange a repair on my bezel + latch. Now this representative (forgot his name..) tells me that the bezel would be $195 to replace, after letting him know that this bezel issue should be a warrantied fix. Perhaps I was not clear enough over the phone..? Maybe.. 

Anyways, I was told that Lenovo would send out a box that I can use to ship my laptop to the Lenovo depot..question is tho...is the separating bezel no longer a warrantied item? This is really annoying and I would like to get it fixed, but $195 tag is quite heavy for what it seems....

My case number is 40L5F77 (I hope I got the number right...his voice was getting chopped off at the time). Mark or Erik, I would greatly appreciate any sort of help..I certainly do not look forward to shipping my laptop & waiting to hear from Lenovo just to find out how much the bezel replacement would be..

Regards,

-Brian-

Message Edited by Kitsunedon on 12-09-2008 07:36 AM
Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 411
Kudos: 1,323
Solutions: 285

Kitsunedon,

I did share your case with approriate Canadian colleagues and asked that they check into the situation with the repair.

Please keep us posted.  

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Blue Screen Again
Kitsunedon

Hello again,

I have received my x61t back in a box today; I must say it was generous of Lenovo service depot for replacing my bezel as well as the broken latch under the warranty. It's in a great shape now.. Much thanks to Mark for all the help.

-Brian- 

Punch Card
Gerio

I just bought an X61 Tablet from Ebay and I've been reading about the screen/bezel separating issues. I can't tell if my screen is the XGA or the SXGA. The resolution of my screen is 1024X768, so I'm guessing it's an XGA screen. Should I be looking for screen issues and what can I do about them?

Thanx, Geri O

Geri O
Lenovo X200 Tablet
Type 7453 EDU
Enhanced Screen (NOT Enhanced Multi-touch!)
Paper Tape
kleintng

I had exactly the same problem. The bezel came off and the hinge was broken when I close my X61t.

My x61t is a gift bought from lenovo US.

I noticed the problem about a year ago and sent it to Lenovo Repair Vietnam (when i was in Vietnam) and they sent it back to me confirming that there is nothing wrong with it. But the issue was still there.

And today, the bezel just comes off again and i notice that there is something broken inside the joint. I ran Lenovo Australia (I am in Australia now) and they said that's not the warranty or hardware issue, no one has this problem before. I will have to pay for the servicing cost, and the cost is not yet known (expensive I guess).

I searched several forums and found this a common issues. Is there any solution for this please.