Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
pogularocky

Installing Linux on X61T

Hi!

I am contemplating an installation of OpenSUSE 11.0 X64 on my X61T thinkpad. Maybe I'll virtualise Windows on top of that if need be.

Theoretically, my overall plan has revealed two draw-backs/hinderances to run the tablet at it's full functionality... like the OSD (on-screen-display) and the functionality of the Volume buttons and the short-cut keys on the LCD panel. Are there any linux driver packages available for download (ofcourse, Lenovo certified) from the company's site to make these functions available in Linux?

Also, Is there a UNIX port to Thinkvantage I could use on this OS, as I like the IBM apps a lot. Is there an active community of Linux users for X61T or just Thinkpads in general?

And, since Lenovo now provides Pre-built systems with Enterprise SUSE 10, can I be safe in assuming that the X64 drivers of all the X61T hardware components, the shortcut keys, OSD and also Thinkvantage software apps are freely available to the "X61T w/ Suse" consumer to download from somewhere?

I have not read through the whole forum yet, so if there is a thread that had already dealt with my situation, please do direct me there. Thank you!

lenovo ThinkPad X61T - 7764CTO
SXGA+, 1.6Ghz C2D, 3GB memory, 100 GB 7200 rpm HDD, 1GB SD card ReadyBoost, Bluetooth & WiFi b/g/n.
Windows VISTA Ultimate SP1 X64.
Paper Tape
pogularocky

Re: Installing Linux on X61T

[ Edited ]

Ok, found this link that explains certain unsolved problems with opensuse on X61T...

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Installing_OpenSuse_11_on_an_X61_Tablet

I guess I'll drop my plans of SUSE on my X61T But, any info regarding a linux OS that lets me use my X61T to the full functionality will be appreciated. Thank you!

Message Edited by pogularocky on 08-05-2008 07:54 PM
lenovo ThinkPad X61T - 7764CTO
SXGA+, 1.6Ghz C2D, 3GB memory, 100 GB 7200 rpm HDD, 1GB SD card ReadyBoost, Bluetooth & WiFi b/g/n.
Windows VISTA Ultimate SP1 X64.
802.11n
sipp11

If you want to use full featured tablet pc, just stick with Vista. It's just the best so far.

However, Wacom works just fine in Linux. That might be the only Tablet PC-related thing which works on Linux without wasting time just to get it work. If you use Linux as a workstation only, brightness & sound adjustment work ok, it's just not as good as it is on Windows.

For thinkVantage stuff,  I think you could forget about that for a period of time until Linux is really coming to mainstream (if it ever happens) I have no offense to Linux since I have it as one of my boxes, but it's just not for mobile device yet.

buddinggeek
Topics: 105
Kudos: 141
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 119

if you have no hesitation to use SLED 10 then go ahead you will not feel bad after using SUSE!

before that make sure that your model supports SLED 10

Cheers and regards,
• » νιנαソѕαяα∂нι ѕαмανє∂αм ™ « •
Think : T410,X220T,Thinkpad Yoga
Idea :3000H,Z500,U410,Yoga 11, Yoga tab 10,Horizon
●๋•کáŕádhí'ک díáŕý ツ

I am a volunteer here. I don't work for Lenovo