Support in other languages: 
Community SuperMod
bananaman

Lenovo tablets: multitouch vs multitouch

[ Edited ]

In 2006 Lenovo started using the term “multitouch” to mean touchscreen via finger and pen, then the iPhone came along and gave it a different common meaning: two-finger touch.

It’s important to understand this, because, in September 2009, Lenovo introduced new touch screens which support “multitouch” in the now common sense: two finger touch. This did not and cannot magically give two-finger touch capability to the previously released touchscreen via finger and pen tablets.

So Lenovo have bowed to the inevitable and started using the common meaning of “multitouch”, but be careful out there, because NONE of the “multitouch” tablets introduced prior to September 2009 have two-finger touch!

Check the Personal Systems Reference tabook if you are unsure. In the display section you will see:

MultiTouch (touchscreen via finger and pen) <-- NO two-finger touch capability

OR

MultiTouch (touchscreen support pen & two-finger touch)

Lastly, Lenovo's marketing materials refer to the new two-finger touch feature as "enhanced multitouch".

March 2010 UPDATE: With the release of the X201 Tablet, the nomenclature has become simpler!

If an X201 tablet is multitouch, it  is two-finger multitouch. There are no single-touch pen or finger X201 tablets.

April 2011 UPDATE: The X220 Tablet has two screen options: multitouch or outdoor. The multitouch screen supports 2 finger touch and 5 finger gesture. The outdoor screen supports pen.

Kudos to the members of the community who have raised and researched this subject. Hope this helps you tableteers out there!

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Fanfold Paper
paulhayden

Re: Lenovo tablets: multitouch vs multitouch

Hi Bananaman,

Thanks for the link to the file.

Unfortunately I can't see my device listed though (7453-6BG). I'm in the UK if this makes a difference.

I specifically asked for the two finger multitouch screen (ie 'enhanced' multitouch!) - my tablet won't even recognise 1 finger - only the pen. I've tried downloading the most recent drivers but nothing works.

Any advise would be much appreciated!!!

Kind regards,

Paul

Community SuperMod
bananaman

Hi Paul, That's a really good question. The tabook doesn't list EVERY model in the world.

A quick Google found this Lenovo Europe announcement letter for the 7453-6BG. A cross-check with the Hardware Maintenance Manual confirms what the announcement letter says: your 7453-6Bx system has the "outdoor" LCD panel, which does not have a finger touch screen :smileysad:.

If it was sold to you as two finger multitouch system, you should go back and talk to the seller.

Fanfold Paper
paulhayden

Thanks Bananaman - My googling skills are clearly getting rusty!

For bonus points though, any idea why my screen won't respond to finger touch at all? Pen works perfectly but even after I re-installed the latest drivers (and the ones from the wacom website) I still can't get any finger touch?

Kind regards (and thanks again!)

Paul 

Community SuperMod
bananaman

Hi Paul, your outdoor screen is not a "touch screen" i.e. it shouldn't respond to any touch, one finger or two. Just the pen. Good luck!

Fanfold Paper
paulhayden

Ahhh I see - how dumb am I? :smileytongue:

I shall be having a (less than) polite word with my reseller tomorrow!

Thanks again for your patience!

Paul

Community SuperMod
bananaman

Not dumb at all - there are 6 types of X200 tablet screen being sold at the moment, but only one of them is two finger multitouch!

Fanfold Paper
TheRealFEI

Can you please post the part number for the enhanced multitouch display on a x200t? I have been o nthe phone with lenovo for over two hours and they keep looking up the parts in my system. No one there seems to know what the FRU should be for the new enhanced multitouch display.

Community SuperMod
bananaman

[ Edited ]

Hi TheRealFEI!

The current X200 Tablet Hardware Maintenance Manual lists two FRU's for the two finger multitouch display: 13N7270 and 13N7271.

Fanfold Paper
TheRealFEI

Thanks for the info. I saw that info as well however there is no clarification as to if one is multitouch and the other is enhanced multitouch or what not.. I was hoping for abit more info.. Thanks for trying though.