Support in other languages: 
Blue Screen Again
rx7ingsdrifter

Long time to start up

Not sure if its normal or I have something set up bad.

When I start up my computer it takes about 3-4 minutes before I can use it.  Is there possibly some start up service on tablets that makes them take longer to sart up than normal laptops.  Also the fingerprint reader is supposed to be a convinence and a security feature but once the welcome screen comes up it says please wait for 30 seconds before the finger print reader is ready, not very convinent since I could have type in my password 10 times over.

Is there something I am missing.

topmahof
Topics: 36
Kudos: 327
Solutions: 223

Re: Long time to start up

In order for members to help you, please post what tablet you have, the model number from the bottom of the tablet, (not the serial number), and what operating system you have. 

Dave

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
If someone helped you today, pay it forward. Help Someone Else!
Blue Screen Again
rx7ingsdrifter

sorry about that.

It is the X220 tablet windows 7 professional, i7 2.7GHz, 8GB ram, 320GB 7200rpm HDD

Product ID: 4298W3C

Blue Screen Again
rx7ingsdrifter

Bump anyone have an Idea what I could try
topmahof

Let's see if we can figure this out.

Has it always been doing this?  Did it just start doing it?  Was it ever booting normal?

Have you loaded any programs or games that might have done this?  Open task manager, Ctrl+Alt+Del and tell me how many processes are running.  

What virus protection are you running?  Are all your drivers up to date including the bios?

Sorry about the 40 questions.

Post back, I'll keep an eye out for this.

Dave

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
Blue Screen Again
rx7ingsdrifter

[ Edited ]

It has been like this since I got it about 2 weeks ago.

What I have installed:

Office professional 64bit

Autodesk Inventor 2012 64bit

Autodesk AutoCAD 2012 64bit

Autodesk Sketchbook pro

Symmantics Endpoint Protection

7zip

Dameon tools

Western digital backup software

Coretemp

PDFcreator

Firefox

All system and driver updates current. BIOS 1.16 I saw someone mentioned Rapidboot could cause it to slow boot so I tryied uninstalling it but it made it slower I reinstalled it and now it seems to boot to welcome screen in a resonible time (30-45 sec). The issue is still with the finger print reader it takes 30 sec once it pops up before I can swipe my finger. Once it gets to the desktop it seems slow again. It takes about a minute to a minute and a half if I click firefox before it will open once the desktop comes up. So from time to of hitting power button till I can open google is about two and a half to three minutes.

Thanks for your help

topmahof

[ Edited ]

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-Tablet-ThinkPad-Laptops/X220T-lag-during-startup-even-after-fac...

Look at the last post.  Run the diagnostic boot and see if the time gets better.  If it does, you have a startup program that's lagging.  It doesn't sound like rapidboot is doing it, you already took it out and put it back in.

Right away though, open task manager and  tell me how many processes are running.

Dave

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Here's detailed instructions with screenshots.

topmahof

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/Unresolved-X220-issues/td-p/461613/page/2

Keep an eye on this thread also.  There's 2 issues with slow boot times.  One is if you have the security chip (TPM) enabled in the bios and the other one has to do with 8GB of ram in the machine.  The TPM issue will be fixed with a bios update this month but you might want to pull one of your ram chips out and see if your boot times get better.

Dave 

Blue Screen Again
rx7ingsdrifter

Sorry forgot to mention the processes.

After boot there are 128.

I tried the diagnostic boot and it and the time to the welcome screen was about the same.  I couldn't test the fingerprint time cause it turn that off.  The time between welcome screen and useable computer was a little better though.

Right now the thing that bugs me more than anything is the time for the fingerprint reader to work, 30 seconds makes no since.

I would like the time  between the welcome screen to useable screen to be better though.

topmahof

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/X220-BIOS-POST-time/td-p/469021

Do you have the security chip enabled in the bios?  If you do, disable it per the instructions in the link and see if there is any difference in your post time.

Dave