Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
CRTorres
Accepted Solution

My X200 Tablet won't boot up.

I'm running Windows Vista Ultimate.

Short story: The green power indicator (the (Z) light) will be on, but the computer is otherwise entirely unresponsive and is absolutely silent: the fan isn't running and CPU/processor isn't clicking away.  My only way of successfully interacting with it is by holding the power button to force a power-down.  Is this a hardware problem?

Long story: Initially, I had a problem with sleep mode; when I would close my computer, it would go to sleep and when I reopened it, it would remain asleep.  The green moon light, indicating sleep mode, was on, but the computer was otherwise unresponsive.  Even holding the power button to force a power down was futile, unless I pressed the button within seconds of opening the notebook.

Scanning the Internet lead to a lot of people having similar, but not exactly so, problems with their ThinkPads, but the popular solution (turning off hybrid sleep) did nothing, as it was already off.  I pressed the ThinkVantage button and downloaded whatever updates were available for that, and once the download was finished, I restarted my computer, which also installed a few Windows updates which had been waiting in the background.  Windows did its usual installation as it powered down, and as it restarted, the problems I described in the Short story version above began.  I've been stuck at this point ever since.  The RAM and hard drive appear to be undamaged.

Does anyone have any advice?  Should I have it looked at by an expert (i.e., Geek Squad)?

Thanks in advance.

Paper Tape
CRTorres

Re: My X200 Tablet won't boot up.

UPDATE: After sitting for 10 to 20 minutes in the state I described above in "Short story," the laptop starts up as if nothing was wrong.  I've gone from thinking this is a hardware problem to thinking it's related to my fiddling around with the sleep settings I described in "Long story."  Anyone have any ideas?

Punch Card
Gerio

All I can offer is that I had this sort of experience several years ago with an HP notebook and ever since, one of the first things I do is to de-activate ANYTHING that has to do with the notebook going to sleep, hibernate, or suspend.

And waking from hibernation, sleep, or suspend is quite high on the list of problems posted about on the various geekboy computer forums (or it was, anyway, don't have time to peruse those sites much anymore). It's just not worth it for me.

I'd get in the power settings as soon as I could and disable all of that stuff. While you can.

Geri O

Geri O
Lenovo X200 Tablet
Type 7453 EDU
Enhanced Screen (NOT Enhanced Multi-touch!)
Punch Card
ZombieKing

check to make sure no USB devices are plugged in during boot i remember others having long boot times 1-2 minutes longer than usual. Worth a shot i suppose
Ctrl-Alt-Del
carmenr

been "putting up" with 10-20 minute boots for 6 months now here. i am sure the issue must have been forward to engineering by now

Ctrl-Alt-Del
carmenr

the original 2.06 or earlier BIOS didnt have the problem, but i upgraded bceause the network card kept disappearing from the PCI bus entirely

unfortunately windows 7 was unsucessful in downgrading my BIOS, and booting the DOS installer from grub also fails to get me back to 2.0x - progress bar just hangs (upgrade to 3.11 went fine, but didnt fix the boots)

Paper Tape
mskeels

I have the same issue on my x200.  I used the Blue button to update the computer because the Netowrk access was really slow and some times crashed before connecting.  It updated the BIOS to 3.11 and then when it boots up , nothing happens except the battery light flickers and after 10+ minutes itboots up normally.

Anyone found a cure for this.

Maybe a away to go backwards onthe BIOS as I think that is the culprit

Paper Tape
CRTorres

Problem solved

Finally, I solved the problem.

As it turned out, what I thought was an unrelated problem ended up being the root cause for this one.

Upon booting up, I would get the warning: "There was a problem connecting to the TPM (security device) on this computer.  It is possible that anti-virus or firewall software is blocking the connection.  A missing or disabled device driver could also cause this problem.  Please refer to the online documentation for more information."

As it turned out, when I updated my BIOS, one of the security programs that initialize during boot up didn't update correctly.

The fix: go to Lenovo's website and update Client Security Solution.  This one worked for me: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-69959.

If your situation matched mine, this will solve your problems.

Paper Tape
aar366

Re: Problem solved

I'm having a similar problem. I recently wiped my X200 to factory default settings, upgraded the OS to Win7, and updated all the drivers (Power Management, Bluetooth, HD Shock, etc.) and the BIOS from Lenovo.com. Upon restart, my computer hung for about 10 minutes in what looked like sleep mode (completely black screen, system fan running, LED indicators on for Power/Sleep/Battery only) and then booted up normally after about 10 minutes. It now does this every time I start my computer.

I tried to call customer support, warranty services, and technical support, but no-one would talk to me because my machine is 6 months out of warranty. I find this absurd because A) it's a year and a half old, B) I've had it in the shop for over a month in the time I've owned it as Lenovo has had to replace the system board twice and the display twice, and C) this problem was clearly caused by one of the software updates that Lenovo recommended considering that it was a clean reformat and I haven't installed anything else other than system software.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Paper Tape
CRTorres

Re: Problem solved

Hello aar366,

In the my post just above yours, I describe the solution to my problem, which seems to parallel yours almost perfectly.  Are you receiving an error upon start-up describing a problem with the TPM?  That was the case for me, and it had to do with Lenovo not updating the Client Security Solution.  Just go to the Lenovo Support & Downloads page and find the most recent Client Security Solution.

A quick poke-through came up with this CSS 8.3 f0r Windows 7, which may be what you need: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-73696