Support in other languages: 
What's DOS?
mperalta

My response to Lenovo's insitent user feedback after "repair" service

Hi all you Lenovo users:

To avoid boring You with the all the gory details of the ordeal I went through approximately 3 weeks ago, I will sum it up in one single paragraph.

- The HD on my X61 Tablet laptop failed in the most unusual (and FAR FROM EXTREME) circumstances. Due to the latter I lost ALL my data. I do wonder whether or not something like this has happened to any of you (I sure hope not). I was really shocked an appauled as I am very familiar with the Thinkpad brand. For a computer that is advertised as "robust" and "sturdy" I do not think mine very much met the expectations.  

With all the hype about robustness and reliability I was under the impression that Lenovo/IBM or whatever would have provided me with data recovery services. What actually happened was that their "repair" service just went as far as sending me a replacment drive and the recovery disks (I will not argue that they acted in a prompt manner), but I needed more support from them. This letter (or more appropiately, rant) has as one of its main purposes to serve as a non-alarming advice to all you happy Lenovo-Thinkpad users. The "infalible" qualification attributed to this computers is more of a agreement set uppon a community. THINKPADS are not bullet proofs. This instance just reveals that it takes very much less that running your car over your Thinkpad to make it fail completely. 

JaneL

Re: My response to Lenovo's insitent user feedback after "repair" service

Hard drives crash.  That's just a fact of life.  Did you not have backups of your data?

There are two kinds of computer users in the world:

Those who have needed their backups, and those who will.

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Jane

ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad 4, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet
I am not a Lenovo Employee.
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

What's DOS?
mperalta

Hi:

All I lost was non-critical data that I will pretty much recover in the long run: part of my thesis references, partial scholarly article assesments and whatever an academic junkie may have as part of his/her workspace.I guess all important items were backed-up in one way or another (direct backups, flash-drives, e-mail attachement, etc.)

My point is/was that I did not expect that a computer that can allegedly keep working after having a car run over it, pouring a whole cup of coffee/water/juice/etc (or any other sadistic way in which You can imagine to test the reliability on one of these laptops) would fail in such a non-expected (stupid?) way. If Thinkpads can exhibit such class of failures, what is so special about them??... if You accept this failure as "normal" and "valid" then we can just conjecture that a Thinkpad is just an garishly designed computer with users with an attitude and aversion for more aesthetically pleasing computers i.e.Apple.

802.11n
sipp11

For hard drive failure trends, you could check this out. Failure Trends in a Large Disk Drive Population by Google

You will see the fact that hard drive just dies randomly; it doesn't matter how good you take care of it or how long its life is if it's less than a few years old. As I see, you got a good service which that is the best thing they could do.

I'm not giving an excuse for Lenovo since I don't like them that much--having a bad experience with their service before. It's just the fact.

JaneL

sipp11 wrote:

You will see the fact that hard drive just dies randomly; it doesn't matter how good you take care of it or how long its life is if it's less than a few years old.

Exactly, sipp11!  One might as well rail at the wind and the waves.  That's why my mantra is "backup, backup, backup in multiple places" for things that I want to keep.  Even Gmail can be your friend for smaller things like resumes, recipes, pictures, etc

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Jane

ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad 4, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet
I am not a Lenovo Employee.
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

ajkula66
Kudos: 750
Solutions: 790

No laptop manufacturer that I can think of apart from Fujitsu supplies their own hard drives. Everything is bought from "the big guys" in the HDD business: Hitachi, Seagate, Fujitsu, WD...

And, as others have pointed, the HDD is the part most prone to failure on any laptop.

Honestly, choke it up as lesson learned and enjoy your ThinkPad. I went through this with my first A20m back in 2001, and swore on all holy books that I'll make up backups as often as I make breakfast...

My experiences only. 

Cheers,

George

In daily use: T43pSF, R60F, T61, X220T, X301

Collecting dust: T60, T60p, T61p, R500F

Rebuilding: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

I build FrankenPads....scary FrankenPads...

S = SATA-mod (on T43/p units only)
F = FrankenPad
L = LED-mod utilizing an UXGA AFFS LED screen

Please DO NOT PM me with requests for individual support, but post your questions and concerns in the appropriate section of the forum where other users can benefit from them as well. Thank you.
Bit Torrent
wjli2

My compaq laptop came with IBM harddrive, while the T40 came with Hitachi harddrive.... did IBM really make harddrives??? But anyway if you have important work, backup is essential (computer failure in academic world is a poor excuse for an extension, as university look upon those reasons as within the person's control). The whole idea of RAID was to maintain data even if one harddrive dies on you, everything breaks and there is no computer manufacturer that offers data retrival and security as part of their warranty.
802.11n
sipp11

wjli2 wrote:
My compaq laptop came with IBM harddrive, while the T40 came with Hitachi harddrive.... did IBM really make harddrives???

Yes, IBM did but there is no more since Hitachi bought IBM's hard drive division in 2002. It's like what Lenovo did with IBM PC division several years ago. However, I'm not sure if IBM still maintains their HDD service like they do with Thinkpad or not.

Bit Torrent
wjli2

i see IBM diversified all their computer businesses
ajkula66
Kudos: 750
Solutions: 790

I still have a perfectly working 12Gb IBM HDD (12.5mm) with a "Made In Hungary" label and a date of August of 2000....these used to be standard on A20/21 units at the time...
Cheers,

George

In daily use: T43pSF, R60F, T61, X220T, X301

Collecting dust: T60, T60p, T61p, R500F

Rebuilding: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

I build FrankenPads....scary FrankenPads...

S = SATA-mod (on T43/p units only)
F = FrankenPad
L = LED-mod utilizing an UXGA AFFS LED screen

Please DO NOT PM me with requests for individual support, but post your questions and concerns in the appropriate section of the forum where other users can benefit from them as well. Thank you.